SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp Updates 2017

geaux_sioux

23 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Practice # 3

Another beautiful day out at Memorial Stadium this morning as the pads were popping for the first time in fall camp.  The Fighting Hawks added shoulder-pads to their helmet and shorts practice attire and the intensity went up a notch at least for the first hour of practice.

Bubba would like to see that kind of fire for the entire session and challenged the team to work on maintaining the desire to learn and perform at the highest level from start to finish.  He also challenged the Hawks to clean up some minor errors that would have cost the team a number of 5-yard penalties in a game situation. Basically though, the day was another good practice for all involved.

• The Play of the Day goes to the Pride of Red River WR Chad Bartosh whose stick-to-it-iveness was rewarded with a long TD catch and run courtesy of Studsrud.  On the play, Bartosh slipped behind coverage about 25 yards up field -- Studs fired a bullet that was nearly intercepted by Walk-on LB Bryden Swenson.  Swenson couldn't handle the heat on the ball and bobbled it around for a second before it continued on to the hands of Bartosh.  But Bartosh bobbled it around himself before pulling it up from his ankles, recovering and running it in for a score.
  • JUCO Transfer QB Zimmerman has clearly upped his game as he guns to solidify his spot at backup to Studsrud. The game looks to be slowing down for Zim as he's showing his skill more and more. Fellow QB Heidelbaugh didn't shine as much today compared to Zim. Ketteringham was excellent again, and young Boltmann held his own.
  • The benefit of having at least four DI caliber QBs on the practice field at the same time was evident when there were two live drills taking place at the same time -- Two QBs handled drills focused on running backs and the others handled passing drills on the other side of the field.
  • There was a lot of emphasis placed on getting the ball carriers and blocking receivers on the same page (getting ball carriers to help set up the blocks before them) around the edge and downfield. Once developed, this is a muscle memory habit that really good teams do really well. 
  • Santiago, McKinney, Torrey Hunt, Izzy and Seibel all took turn at punt return duties this morning. There were NO returnable punts muffed on the turf by any of them.
  • Dusshold and Meindel were pretty even on their punts, placing them between 47 and 54 yards out. Meindel had the long of 54 but Dusshold had a bit better accuracy today.
  • As for field goals, Taubs was 4/4 from various distances within 25 yards.  Newcomer Leach was 2/4.

In live action:

• WR Cam McKinney almost got to show off his speed on a jet sweep.  All was going well and the speedster was blazing around the left side when he tripped over the 50-yard line and almost bit the dust... he recovered and built his speed back up but the misstep was enough for the LBs and DBs to catch up.
  • WR Izzy Adeoti finally showed some of his top end speed today on a sweep play of his own. The freshman took the hand off, read the defense and abruptly cut up instead of taking it wider... the move figuratively broke a few ankles as Izzy blazed into the secondary. All that said, I think he's still got more speed that he has yet to show us.
  • Zimmerman had a nice pass completion to Mercer over the middle that would have gone for a TD.  Mercer is a quiet burner.
  • On the defensive front, DL Mason Bennett used his huge frame and bear claw to reach up and knock down a Zimmerman attempt out to the flats.
  • The possession guys made their mark too, as Zimmerman hit Toivonnen on a beautiful slant pattern that the big cagey receiver was able to scamper up the field for considerable YAC.

Take care!

Thanks for the update!

46 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

65% is realistic and would be fantastic.

70% is unrealistic.

How many QBs throw for 70%?

Reed Manke completed 70% of his passes but Studsrud isn't Reed Manke.

Studsrud is one of biggest keys to this years success.  No more excuses about oline doesn't have enough experience or depth or receivers are too young or not fast enough.  Needs to improve over last year.  Game manager isn't good enough to win National Championships. 4 yr starter needs to be able to carry team and win games.  Until he can do that, he can't be compared to Brock Johnson.  TD to Int ratio is good but he needs to get to his his reads faster and be more accurate with his throws.  Hoping for a breakout senior year from him.  We have RB's, Receivers, and size with exp in Oline.  If Studsrud has a great season team will have a great season.  If he isn't any better than last two years we will be fortunate to make playoffs.  

I can't top Teeder's review but I agree with pretty much all of what he said.

Greibel and Erbes joined Hunt on the sidelines today, but nothing that looked real serious. One of the CB's went down with an upper body injury during drills, they took a long look at him and sent him over to the sidelines to watch the rest of practice (at least until I left). Hopefully nothing serious, though I was near where it happened and was concerned from the initial reaction from the player. 

Ray Haas just looks like an absolute monster out there lining up on the edge as an OLB.

Impressive how a lot of true freshman look the part already.

Thought the offense had a little better showing than the defense in the live drills I saw. Seemed to me that there was a focus on getting the ball to the TE's in a lot of drills. Not sure if it was a point of emphasis or just what the defense was giving them.

Bartosh's catch got a great reaction from the crowd and offense. Not so much from the defense who intially thought they had at least a pass break up if not an interception.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

As for punt returning duties...I watched Seibel attempt two punt returns and he dropped them both. I still don't understand why he's in the rotation. McKinney, Hunt, Santiago...they all looked the part and received the kicks well. 

I would like to see Hunt out of the mix here. We are too thin at CB as is.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I can't top Teeder's review but I agree with pretty much all of what he said.

Greibel and Erbes joined Hunt on the sidelines today, but nothing that looked real serious. One of the CB's went down with an upper body injury during drills, they took a long look at him and sent him over to the sidelines to watch the rest of practice (at least until I left). Hopefully nothing serious, though I was near where it happened and was concerned from the initial reaction from the player. 

Ray Haas just looks like an absolute monster out there lining up on the edge as an OLB.

Impressive how a lot of true freshman look the part already.

Thought the offense had a little better showing than the defense in the live drills I saw. Seemed to me that there was a focus on getting the ball to the TE's in a lot of drills. Not sure if it was a point of emphasis or just what the defense was giving them.

Bartosh's catch got a great reaction from the crowd and offense. Not so much from the defense who intially thought they had at least a pass break up if not an interception.

Nice work!  It was Tyus who went down hard. Seemed to bounce back ok. Shoulder not impacted. 

24 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Nice work!  It was Tyus who went down hard. Seemed to bounce back ok. Shoulder not impacted. 

Yep, just didn't want to get people too worried if not necessary. :) Lot of concern on his and the trainer's face right away. I had a few choice thoughts immediately as well. Guessing he didn't do much the rest of practice as precautionary reasons as he seemed OK for the most part jogging across the field after 10 minutes or so talking with the trainers.

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

60% isn't all that good. 65%-70% is where he should be this season. 

If he could complete the simple swing passes with regularity he may be close to 65%.  We need a notch of improvement from him to be actual contenders.  If Bubba has a chink in his armor so far (other than Rudlof) it is with the recruitment and development of quarterbacks.  Ideally, we would have a soph pushing Studs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Manke and Freund are UND's all-time leaders in completion percentage, and Freund is the only QB in UND history to be at 70% in a season. Manke had a 68.7% completion rate in 2006, which is incredible.

2 QBs in all of FCS threw for 70% last season.  2 QBs in all of FBS threw for 70% last season. 2 QBs in the NFL threw for 70% last season. 

Those are statistical anomalies.

Easton Stick threw at 58% last season.  The #2 overall draft pick Carson Wentz threw at 62% his senior season.  Brock Jensen threw at 66% his senior season.  Not sure who compared Brock Jensen to Keaton Studsrud like you stated or where that came from.  Gage Gubrud passed for 66% last season.

Keaton Studsrud isnt ANY of those guys.  We need Keaton to be Keaton.  He's not going to complete 70% in this offense and system.  He is who he is.

Nobody is making any excuses for Studsrud because of the O-line or receivers.

My original point in my post was that he needs to improve his completion percentage, which I stated.

When Studsrud is healthy, he is the unquestioned leader and catalyst of the team.  We all agree that without him UND is not the same.  Yes, Studsrud's play will have a huge bearing on the success of the team.

If he throws for 65% this season, we are laughing.

He can get to 65-70% no problem if he doesn't start out like last year and if the OL is improved.

• Upvote 1

Going into last season my biggest worry, like many here, was the OL. Early on that proved to be true. This season I have a lot more confidence here because of all of the returning experience. This isn't really an attribute to their size and skill, but rather their knowledge of the complex blocking schemes that tend to work better when these guys know what to to without thinking about it. 

This season my biggest concern is the secondary and just a few weeks ago I was confident. We do have depth but we are one injury away from this being a major weakness. Regardless, let's shake the dice and see what happens.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

The OL has to be a hell of alot better if he is going to reach 70%.  

There were plenty of wide-open throws that Studsrud missed last season. I think the 70% mark is unrealistic, but Studsrud  definitely can improve a few percentage points in 2017. A lot is on him. The receivers and offensive line will be more experienced and better in 2017. It's time for Studsrud to step up or UND will maintain the status quo or, even worse, have a disappointing 2017. 

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Practice #4

The coaches increased the intensity a notch this morning and the players responded in kind. Anyone taking a play off heard about it from the staff and there was a lot of competitive back-and-forth chirping between the defense and offensive corps. Things are starting to heat up!

• I focused a bit on the young linebackers today, the ones who are likely to see the field regularly. Yesterday I commented on how much bigger and thicker Palmborg looks this year compared to last year, well, add highly touted red-shirt freshman Jake Geier to that list with Jake Rastas not far behind.  Geier really stood out to me today, both his size and his agility in filling the gap.
  • Just from my amateur eye-ball test...I think linebacking will be in good hands this year. We are young but the talent is pretty damn good. Kind of like when we were wondering about this relatively unknown Donnell Rodgers kid out of Minnesota, only to watch him develop into a difference maker.  
  • The speed guys, especially at WR, had a really good practice today. I would say it was Izzy's best practice so far. McKinney had a good first half of practice as well. 
  • I really like what Logan Alm and Derek Paulson bring to the TE position ... along with Fiedler, both converted TEs are getting a ton or reps, both are good on the block and both can catch. Alm snagged a one-handed grab along the sidelines today (but still got chewed out for his route running).  The coaches aren't letting anything slip.
  • Would you believe that Boltmann had the best day today of all the QBs on the field. The rookie looked really crisp and accurate on his throws. The future bodes well for him if he keeps up his progression. All this is not to say that any of the other QBs had a bad day.
  • Speaking of Boltmann, during live passing drills with four DBs in coverage, the QB hit Izzy on two 40 yard ropes that would have gone for TDs, and topped it off with a 30 yard TD pass to Stanley.
  • Later Boltmann hit Wanzek in stride for a 40 yard TD catch and run.
  • The Play of the Day, however, has to go to the QB-WR tandem of Brad Heidelbaugh and Izzy.  Heidelbaugh hit Izzy about 40 yards out after Izzy got behind the coverage of Jaxon Turner and the speedster WR took it the rest of the 80 yard distance for a TD.
  • On the defensive side of the spectrum, Newcomer TyKeise Johnson had a nice PBU on a pass from Studs to Izzy to close out the first round of passing drills.
  • Later on, Jake Rastas  and Palmborg both had near picks that turned into valuable PBUs
  • During Team Drills today: Blubaugh (CB), Flowers (FS), Reyes (SS) and Torrey Hunt (CB) made up the first-line secondary with Palmborg and Haas on the outside at LB and Disterhaupt and Rodgers in the middle.  Disterhaupt played reps at both inside and outside, too.
  • Offensively, it was Rooney in the middle flanked by Taylor and Cox to his right, and Bell and Stockwell on the center's left side. Nguon and Stiner also got reps at center.  Grant Aplin mostly saw reps at RG.
  • The team drills today consisted mostly of running plays with some passes sprinkled in for good measure.
  • Defensively, Blubaugh continues to play really well.  He made his presence known on one sequence in which he prevented what would have been a nice reception by Izzy with a last second strip of the ball.
  • The Runner up Play of the Day came during team drills when Studsrud stepped back and launched a perfect 50 yard bomb to Wanzek instride for a TD. One of the walk-on CBs was providing coverage.
  • A final thought: UND, like any program, has had its fair share of recruiting misses over the years... players who didn't pan out for one reason or another... on the other side of the coin, it's fun to look at the list of current players who originally were PWOs for UND. They include Grant Aplin, Tyler Coyne, Luke Stanley, Austin Gordon, Logan Alm, Tanner Palmborg, Andre Steiger, Brett Finke, Jake Rastas and Derek Paulson. There's some good ones in there!

See you later!

Great update Teeder.  Thanks!

Awesome write up again Teeder, thank!  I always look forward to your write ups more than the official ones that go out.  It's really nice to know that we have are sitting so much better in the QB position going forward, that was great to hear about Boltmann.

I think if Studs can get to 62-63% we'll be just fine.....would certainly take 65% though!  

• Upvote 2