SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp Updates 2017

geaux_sioux

Agree Studsrud should be the starter and that he has some "intangibles".  However, I believe to get to the top we need a stud QB, not just a manager.  I hate to compare this, but since they are the Gold Standard lately - look at all of the years of Bison success at DI (including the 10-1 seasons pre-playoff eligibility) and one thing stands out - absolutely lights out Quarterbacking.  Behind all of their All-American studs over the years stood an absolute stud QB.  That's where we need to be.  If there is one big weakness in Bubba's development so far, it is in the recruitment and development of Quarterbacks.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Irish said:

Agree Studsrud should be the starter and that he has some "intangibles".  However, I believe to get to the top we need a stud QB, not just a manager.  I hate to compare this, but since they are the Gold Standard lately - look at all of the years of Bison success at DI (including the 10-1 seasons pre-playoff eligibility) and one thing stands out - absolutely lights out Quarterbacking.  Behind all of their All-American studs over the years stood an absolute stud QB.  That's where we need to be.  If there is one big weakness in Bubba's development so far, it is in the recruitment and development of Quarterbacks.  

I'm expecting a very good year out of Keaton this year...he's not starting the year with two true freshman wide receivers and 4 new starters on the offensive line like he did last year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Irish said:

I would humbly submit that Brock Jensen was a "game manager." And there's nothing wrong with that. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

I would humbly submit that Brock Jensen was a "game manager." And there's nothing wrong with that. 

I was going to mention that too, he wasn't necessarily a gun slinger.  But honestly I didn't watch him play all that much so I didn't really want to post it and have a bunch of Bison fans jump all over me.  He certainly was a winner though, and always made the clutch play at the right time.   If you watch the greatest drive in NDSU history as they say, against K-State, I don't think he threw the ball more than 10 yards down field the whole drive.  It was mostly dink and dunks, making smart decisions, hand the ball off, and scramble and run when need to.  Studs can do that, not saying Studs is Brock, but he can do those things. 

51 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I'm expecting a very good year out of Keaton this year...he's not starting the year with two true freshman wide receivers and 4 new starters on the offensive line like he did last year.

There was a questionable decision 4 years ago to pull Keaton's shirt and pull him off the practice squad with 4 games to go.  I know the counter arguments but if we brought in a similar player today, like Boltman, we now have the luxury of red shirting him.  If you didn't follow that, this could be Keaton's Junior year.

8 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Actually, I don't see a huge difference between Studs overall play last year and Easton Sticks. Stick has more rushing yards, but not many more TDs. Pass attempts/Completions/Yards were all pretty comparable. I believe Stick had 9 INTs to Studs 2.

Stick is younger and could certainly turn into a stud, but I haven't see it yet. Wentz was a stud .... obviously.

14 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

He managed most of their games masterfully but his best trait was his killer instinct. He was a cold blooded assassin in huge games and never lost a single one of them.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Actually, I don't see a huge difference between Studs overall play last year and Easton Sticks. Stick has more rushing yards, but not many more TDs. Pass attempts/Completions/Yards were all pretty comparable. I believe Stick had 9 INTs to Studs 2.

Stick is younger and could certainly turn into a stud, but I haven't see it yet. Wentz was a stud .... obviously.

The big differences between the two are arm strength and accuracy. Stick has a way stronger arm but Studs is more accurate and has better touch.

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Keaton was recruited - and offered - by the previous coach. Bubba honored the offer. 

47 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

There was a questionable decision 4 years ago to pull Keaton's shirt and pull him off the practice squad with 4 games to go.  I know the counter arguments but if we brought in a similar player today, like Boltman, we now have the luxury of red shirting him.  If you didn't follow that, this could be Keaton's Junior year.

Oh I remember that...he was literally the last man left standing.  Pretty tough to finish the year without a quarterback...and for all we know Keaton told them he wanted to play.  Can't go back and change it now...that's part of rebuilding a program from the ashes...those sacrifices sometimes have to be made.

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Jensen was the perfect guy for the NDSU offense: They don't do anything exceptional; however, they do what they do exceptionally well. 

Studsrud must get better at connecting on the swing passes and screen passes. He should get better at seeing the whole field rather than locking on to his primary receiver.

He is an outstanding game manager and field general already. Add those elements and the Hawks should go a long ways with the experience that is returning from 2016. 

6 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Practice #2:

It was a fun day from a fan's perspective out at old Memorial today... lots of fun plays.  Bubba might beg to differ on certain aspects, because, well, he's the coach.

The theme for the day today was that The Defense Strikes Back.  After a day in which the offense ran a bit roughshod over the defenders, the tables turned a bit.

My Play of the Day came from the defensive side of the ball:  It's not often that you see a player pull off a Pass Break Up and an INT all on the same play, but that's exactly what Torrey Hunt did.  The second-year CB stepped in front of a Studsrud bullet over the middle to Toivonnen, batted it up and away and then recovered his positioning in enough time to scoop the ball up just before it hit the turf.

In other action:

• For the second day in a row, Mikey Greibel looked really good out on the practice field, and for the second day in a row the rookie snagged a one-handed catch along the sidelines.
  • Austin Gordon just never lets you down the way he practices. Every time, he explodes off the ball like a bull out of a chute and increases his power through the play. Some of the rooks could learn from AG as sometimes it looks more like they're rolling out of bed than exploding through the play.
  • Speaking of practice Studs, if WR Easton Erbes were maybe a couple inches taller and a bit thicker...you'd probably have heard more about him on Saturdays.  The kid continues to grind and do everything right, not letting any catchable balls hit the turf, catching tough balls along the sidelines with toes in bound, and in general, hustling before during and after every play.
  • Observed that Izzy, Toivonnen, Mercer and McKinney were being used a lot on jet-sweep action plays, either fakes or actual sweeps.
  • Two different QBs -- Ketteringham and Heidelbaugh placed perfect balls to Greibel and McKinney, respectively, on slant patterns that would have went for long distances.
  • The starting four in the secondary, at this point in practice, appears to be Tyus, Reyes, Flowers and Torrey Hunt. We'll monitor if that changes.
  • Tyus played coverage perfectly on a long overthrown pass by Zimmerman, snatching an INT in the back of the end zone.
  • Ketteringham connected with freshman WR Izzy Adeoti for about a 40 reception.
  • Though they had there moments, McKinney and Izzy did fight balls a little bit today, more than I've seen to this point... looked to be more mental concentration than ability.
  • OLB Palmborg has become a monster. He looks really good, strong and fast on the edge and in drop back pass coverage. 
  • Someone asked me about newcomer TyKeise Johnson's position yesterday. He's mostly been playing corner.
  • After the aforementioned first-line secondary, it apears that Blubaugh, Kyle Heiptas, T Johnson, and another newcomer in Eli Allen played mostly the corner back position, while Randolph, Turner, Tucker and Shannon patrolled the middle.
  • The first-line line backer positioning appeared to be Palmborg and Lawrence on the outside with Disterhaupt and Rodgers inside.

During 2-minute drills to end today's practice, Studsrud started things out again. 

That series was highlighted by a PBU on Toivonnen by Tyus Carter, and a nice INT by LB Andre Steiger. (The LB crew had been changed out after the Tyus' PBU)

Heidelbaugh took the next series and it was mostly the Hayden Blubaugh Show on defense. Blubaugh had two athletic PBUs in a row on coverage of Mercer than then Stanley.

Heidelbaugh was able to connect with Seibel on a 45 yard bomb along the sidelines, with Randolph providing excellent coverage. Just a nice athletic play by the senior.

That series ended, however, with today's runner-up Play of the Day:  If there was ever a play where both sides of the ball could come away feeling ok about what just happened, it would be this one. The defense, however, felt just a little bit better. Hiedelbaugh through a rope about 20 yards up and along the sidelines to Wanzek, who miraculously came down with the snag and got one toe in-bounds despite being blanketed by Tyus Carter. It's the kind of play that you'd expect only Wanzek to make. So as I am prematurely gesturing the completed catch signal from my spot in the Memorial Stadium seats, Reyes swoops in from out of nowhere to clean things up and knocks the ball loose before Wanzek is completely down. It was big boy football on both sides of the ball.  

Zimmerman took the final series, which was mired by bad snaps and incompletions (bad throws, drops).

Zimmerman did find life on his series with a nice long third and 10 ball to Redshirt Freshman TE Derek Paulson, who is now wearing Dulin's old #84.

Bumps and bruises are mounting a bit and I anticipate the bike brigade membership will start growing in the coming days. Nothing looks too serious.

See you tomorrow!

Who needs Adam Schefter....we have Teeder!!!!!!!

Very informative with great detail....communications or journalism major???

1 hour ago, PATRIOT said:

Who needs Adam Schefter....we have Teeder!!!!!!!

Very informative with great detail....communications or journalism major???

SCOMM CLASS OF '98, after six circuitous years!  I blame the Down Under ("Bucks night"), old Whitey's, The Antique, and The Back Door. Some of you know of which I speak. ( :

9 minutes ago, SJG73 said:

Teeder....if you are going to SLC I will be the first to offer you a few frosties to start the festivities! 

I thank you wholeheartedly! As of now, unfortunately, I'll be watching on TV. I did go to Laramie a couple years ago and had a blast watching UND stomp The Pokes!

9 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Practice #2:

It was a fun day from a fan's perspective out at old Memorial today... lots of fun plays.  Bubba might beg to differ on certain aspects, because, well, he's the coach.

The theme for the day today was that The Defense Strikes Back.  After a day in which the offense ran a bit roughshod over the defenders, the tables turned a bit.

My Play of the Day came from the defensive side of the ball:  It's not often that you see a player pull off a Pass Break Up and an INT all on the same play, but that's exactly what Torrey Hunt did.  The second-year CB stepped in front of a Studsrud bullet over the middle to Toivonnen, batted it up and away and then recovered his positioning in enough time to scoop the ball up just before it hit the turf.

In other action:

• For the second day in a row, Mikey Greibel looked really good out on the practice field, and for the second day in a row the rookie snagged a one-handed catch along the sidelines.
  • Austin Gordon just never lets you down the way he practices. Every time, he explodes off the ball like a bull out of a chute and increases his power through the play. Some of the rooks could learn from AG as sometimes it looks more like they're rolling out of bed than exploding through the play.
  • Speaking of practice Studs, if WR Easton Erbes were maybe a couple inches taller and a bit thicker...you'd probably have heard more about him on Saturdays.  The kid continues to grind and do everything right, not letting any catchable balls hit the turf, catching tough balls along the sidelines with toes in bound, and in general, hustling before during and after every play.
  • Observed that Izzy, Toivonnen, Mercer and McKinney were being used a lot on jet-sweep action plays, either fakes or actual sweeps.
  • Two different QBs -- Ketteringham and Heidelbaugh placed perfect balls to Greibel and McKinney, respectively, on slant patterns that would have went for long distances.
  • The starting four in the secondary, at this point in practice, appears to be Tyus, Reyes, Flowers and Torrey Hunt. We'll monitor if that changes.
  • Tyus played coverage perfectly on a long overthrown pass by Zimmerman, snatching an INT in the back of the end zone.
  • Ketteringham connected with freshman WR Izzy Adeoti for about a 40 reception.
  • Though they had there moments, McKinney and Izzy did fight balls a little bit today, more than I've seen to this point... looked to be more mental concentration than ability.
  • OLB Palmborg has become a monster. He looks really good, strong and fast on the edge and in drop back pass coverage. 
  • Someone asked me about newcomer TyKeise Johnson's position yesterday. He's mostly been playing corner.
  • After the aforementioned first-line secondary, it apears that Blubaugh, Kyle Heiptas, T Johnson, and another newcomer in Eli Allen played mostly the corner back position, while Randolph, Turner, Tucker and Shannon patrolled the middle.
  • The first-line line backer positioning appeared to be Palmborg and Lawrence on the outside with Disterhaupt and Rodgers inside.

During 2-minute drills to end today's practice, Studsrud started things out again. 

That series was highlighted by a PBU on Toivonnen by Tyus Carter, and a nice INT by LB Andre Steiger. (The LB crew had been changed out after the Tyus' PBU)

Heidelbaugh took the next series and it was mostly the Hayden Blubaugh Show on defense. Blubaugh had two athletic PBUs in a row on coverage of Mercer than then Stanley.

Heidelbaugh was able to connect with Seibel on a 45 yard bomb along the sidelines, with Randolph providing excellent coverage. Just a nice athletic play by the senior.

That series ended, however, with today's runner-up Play of the Day:  If there was ever a play where both sides of the ball could come away feeling ok about what just happened, it would be this one. The defense, however, felt just a little bit better. Hiedelbaugh through a rope about 20 yards up and along the sidelines to Wanzek, who miraculously came down with the snag and got one toe in-bounds despite being blanketed by Tyus Carter. It's the kind of play that you'd expect only Wanzek to make. So as I am prematurely gesturing the completed catch signal from my spot in the Memorial Stadium seats, Reyes swoops in from out of nowhere to clean things up and knocks the ball loose before Wanzek is completely down. It was big boy football on both sides of the ball.  

Zimmerman took the final series, which was mired by bad snaps and incompletions (bad throws, drops).

Zimmerman did find life on his series with a nice long third and 10 ball to Redshirt Freshman TE Derek Paulson, who is now wearing Dulin's old #84.

Bumps and bruises are mounting a bit and I anticipate the bike brigade membership will start growing in the coming days. Nothing looks too serious.

See you tomorrow!

Thank you for the updates today and for every other day.

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I thank you wholeheartedly! As of now, unfortunately, I'll be watching on TV. I did go to Laramie a couple years ago and had a blast watching UND stomp The Pokes!

It was fantastic to be there too!  The invitation is always open.

In Studsrud's last 2 seasons, he's thrown 26 TDs against 5 ints.

He completed 60% of his passes as a sophomore and 56% as a junior.

While I agree he hopefully needs to be back around 60% again this year, his stats in our offense and philosophy are pretty impressive.

He's a leader and does what is asked of him in this system.

Just needs to get off to a better start out the gate this season.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

In Studsrud's last 2 seasons, he's thrown 26 TDs against 5 ints.

He completed 60% of his passes as a sophomore and 56% as a junior.

While I agree he hopefully needs to be back around 60% again this year, his stats in our offense and philosophy are pretty impressive.

He's a leader and does what is asked of him in this system.

Just needs to get off to a better start out the gate this season.

With what he's asked to do he should be up around 70%.