SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp Updates 2017

geaux_sioux

23 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

percentage lock that keaton starts day 1? 99%?

i like keaton but any chance anyone knocks him off as the starter?

He definitely locks in on guys.  I think the only way somebody knocks him off as starter is if they are REMARKABLY better, which I don't think is going to happen given Studs grasp of the offense and how few INT's he throws.  While I do hope the backups push him to be better, I hope Studs does well enough so we don't have a QB controversy like we did a few years ago.  Next year though, very well may have a QB controversy at least at the beginning of the year.  

On the intangible side of things, Studsrud is a PROVEN leader.  He's tougher than nails.  The guys gravitate to him and follow him.  I think sometimes that gets lost in the equation.

He's been starting since he was a freshman.  He's a battle tested veteran.  

Is he Gage Gubrud as far as passing the ball?  No.  But he doesn't have to be either in our offense.

When called upon last year, he showed he can air it out when necessary in a few games when coming from behind.

I agree, 99% positive that Studsrud is our guy.  And he should be barring anything out of the ordinary.  So I think we can stop any QB controversy discussion right now.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, sprig said:

What time does practice start

Friday, Aug. 4

Practice No. 2

8:30 a.m. Helmets & Shorts
Saturday, Aug. 5 Practice No. 3 8:30 a.m. Half Pads
Sunday, Aug. 6 Practice No. 4 8:30 a.m. Half Pads
Monday, Aug. 7 Practice No. 5 8:30 a.m. Full Pads
Tuesday, Aug. 8 Practice No. 6 8:30 a.m. Full Pads
Wednesday, Aug. 9 Practice No. 7 8:30 a.m. Full Pads
Thursday, Aug. 10  Practice No. 8 8:30 a.m. Full Pads
Friday, Aug. 11 Practice No. 9 8:30 a.m. Full Pads (Live)
Saturday, Aug. 12 Practice No. 10 8:30 a.m. Full Pads
Sunday, Aug. 13 OFF    
Monday, Aug. 14 Practice No. 11 8:30 a.m. Full Pads
Tuesday, Aug. 15 Practice No. 12 8:30 a.m. Full Pads 
Wednesday, Aug. 16 Practice No. 13 8:30 a.m. Full Pads
Thursday, Aug. 17 Practice No. 14 8:30 a.m. Full Pads
Friday, Aug. 18  Practice No. 15 8:30 a.m. Full Pads
Saturday, Aug. 19  Practice No. 16 8:30 p.m. Full Pads
Sunday, Aug. 20 OFF    
Monday, Aug. 21  Practice No. 17 9 a.m. Full Pads
Tuesday, Aug. 22 OFF   First full-day of classes 
Wednesday, Aug. 23 Practice No. 18 3:30 p.m. Full Pads
Thursday, Aug. 24 Practice No. 19 3:30 p.m.  Full Pads
Thursday, Aug. 24  Fan Fest 7 p.m.  
Friday, Aug. 25 Practice No. 20 3:30 p.m.   
Saturday, Aug. 26 Practice No. 21 3:30 p.m. Full Pads
Sunday, Aug. 27 Practice No. 22 3:30 p.m.   
Monday, Aug. 28        Practice No. 23 3:30 p.m. Full Pads
Tuesday, Aug. 29 Practice No. 24 3:30 p.m. Full Pads

9 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

On the intangible side of things, Studsrud is a PROVEN leader.  He's tougher than nails.  The guys gravitate to him and follow him.  I think sometimes that gets lost in the equation.

Is he Gage Gubrud as far as passing the ball?  No.  But he doesn't have to be either in our offense.

When called upon last year, he showed he can air it out when necessary in a few games when coming from behind.

I agree, 99% positive that Studsrud is our guy.  And he should be barring anything out of the ordinary.  So I think we can stop any QB controversy discussion right now.

100% agree with this.  The only way it could happen IMO if Studs was only playing average or below and then got injured and had to sit for two games, and the backup came in and completely lit things up for two straight games.  Then coaches would have a decision. Nobody will overtake him just based upon what they do in practice. And hopefully none of the other guys get to see the field (meaning no injuries for Studs) except for mop up duty.

As of right now, there isn't even a sniff of QB controversy. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Offense always comes out gunning to start camp. The D gets burned a ton and gets frustrated until they go full pads. Then things tighten up and the O all of a sudden doesn't look so hot. This even happened with Mussman and his trash defenses.

Agree!   Full pads bring out the best...

4 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Agree with all of this.  I love his leadership and at this level that is the most important intangible for a QB.  

Keaton played well last year when he had to and the tempo was picked up.  He also managed games when he had to and tempo was slowed down.  

Only time he struggled was beginning of the year but one of that was the very, very young WRs.  

2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

As an analogy, and for the old timers on here, this team can be the 1985 Chicago Bears.  Studsrud can be our version of Jim Mcmahon.  It should work out well..............

Agreed.  Some of the most accomplished NFL qb's weren't know as much for their arm strength or speed as they were for game management and . . . just getting the wins.

Anyone have more information on this Tykeise Johnson guy? With is being a late addition, there wasn't much info put out here on him? Was he a pretty solid JUCO guy? Was he getting any other looks? Realistically, does he see the field; or only in an injury situation?

Edit: I did find this off of the Gophers 247 site--

Tykeise Johnson Central Lakes College/Coon Rapids DB 6'0 175     2015 MCAC All Division HM. In 10 games, had 36 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 3 INT, and 2 PBU.

Central Lakes website (Career Stats)--

GP TKL AST TOT TKL/G SCK YDS TFL YDS FF FR YDS INT YDS BRUP BLK
2015-16 10 16 20 36 3.6 0 0 2.5 14 0 0 0 3 108 2 0
2016-17 11 14 17 31 2.8 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 38 3 0
Total 21 30 37 67 3.2 0 0 2.5 14 0 1 0 6 146 5 0

9 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Practice #2:

It was a fun day from a fan's perspective out at old Memorial today... lots of fun plays.  Bubba might beg to differ on certain aspects, because, well, he's the coach.

The theme for the day today was that The Defense Strikes Back.  After a day in which the offense ran a bit roughshod over the defenders, the tables turned a bit.

My Play of the Day came from the defensive side of the ball:  It's not often that you see a player pull off a Pass Break Up and an INT all on the same play, but that's exactly what Torrey Hunt did.  The second-year CB stepped in front of a Studsrud bullet over the middle to Toivonnen, batted it up and away and then recovered his positioning in enough time to scoop the ball up just before it hit the turf.

In other action:

• For the second day in a row, Mikey Greibel looked really good out on the practice field, and for the second day in a row the rookie snagged a one-handed catch along the sidelines.
  • Austin Gordon just never lets you down the way he practices. Every time, he explodes off the ball like a bull out of a chute and increases his power through the play. Some of the rooks could learn from AG as sometimes it looks more like they're rolling out of bed than exploding through the play.
  • Speaking of practice Studs, if WR Easton Erbes were maybe a couple inches taller and a bit thicker...you'd probably have heard more about him on Saturdays.  The kid continues to grind and do everything right, not letting any catchable balls hit the turf, catching tough balls along the sidelines with toes in bound, and in general, hustling before during and after every play.
  • Observed that Izzy, Toivonnen, Mercer and McKinney were being used a lot on jet-sweep action plays, either fakes or actual sweeps.
  • Two different QBs -- Ketteringham and Heidelbaugh placed perfect balls to Greibel and McKinney, respectively, on slant patterns that would have went for long distances.
  • The starting four in the secondary, at this point in practice, appears to be Tyus, Reyes, Flowers and Torrey Hunt. We'll monitor if that changes.
  • Tyus played coverage perfectly on a long overthrown pass by Zimmerman, snatching an INT in the back of the end zone.
  • Ketteringham connected with freshman WR Izzy Adeoti for about a 40 reception.
  • Though they had there moments, McKinney and Izzy did fight balls a little bit today, more than I've seen to this point... looked to be more mental concentration than ability.
  • OLB Palmborg has become a monster. He looks really good, strong and fast on the edge and in drop back pass coverage. 
  • Someone asked me about newcomer TyKeise Johnson's position yesterday. He's mostly been playing corner.
  • After the aforementioned first-line secondary, it apears that Blubaugh, Kyle Heiptas, T Johnson, and another newcomer in Eli Allen played mostly the corner back position, while Randolph, Turner, Tucker and Shannon patrolled the middle.
  • The first-line line backer positioning appeared to be Palmborg and Lawrence on the outside with Disterhaupt and Rodgers inside.

During 2-minute drills to end today's practice, Studsrud started things out again. 

That series was highlighted by a PBU on Toivonnen by Tyus Carter, and a nice INT by LB Andre Steiger. (The LB crew had been changed out after the Tyus' PBU)

Heidelbaugh took the next series and it was mostly the Hayden Blubaugh Show on defense. Blubaugh had two athletic PBUs in a row on coverage of Mercer than then Stanley.

Heidelbaugh was able to connect with Seibel on a 45 yard bomb along the sidelines, with Randolph providing excellent coverage. Just a nice athletic play by the senior.

That series ended, however, with today's runner-up Play of the Day:  If there was ever a play where both sides of the ball could come away feeling ok about what just happened, it would be this one. The defense, however, felt just a little bit better. Hiedelbaugh through a rope about 20 yards up and along the sidelines to Wanzek, who miraculously came down with the snag and got one toe in-bounds despite being blanketed by Tyus Carter. It's the kind of play that you'd expect only Wanzek to make. So as I am prematurely gesturing the completed catch signal from my spot in the Memorial Stadium seats, Reyes swoops in from out of nowhere to clean things up and knocks the ball loose before Wanzek is completely down. It was big boy football on both sides of the ball.  

Zimmerman took the final series, which was mired by bad snaps and incompletions (bad throws, drops).

Zimmerman did find life on his series with a nice long third and 10 ball to Redshirt Freshman TE Derek Paulson, who is now wearing Dulin's old #84.

Bumps and bruises are mounting a bit and I anticipate the bike brigade membership will start growing in the coming days. Nothing looks too serious.

See you tomorrow!

What's the second unit look like for CBs and LBs?

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

What's the second unit look like for CBs and LBs?

Hard to say... it's a mishmash of starters and young guys for the LBs. I will have to watch for more of a trend ... .The CBs seem to usually be ... Blubaugh and Holm, though Holm may have a tweak in his lower body that has forced him to miss some reps.

26 minutes ago, sprig said:

Is Dulin gone?  Talked to him at spring ball where he was working at the cb position when he broke his ankle. He expected to be back by now. 

22 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Yes.

"Smoke'm if you got'm"     -T Dulin.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

You rock Teeder - thank you so much. 

Is Evan Holm dinged up? We was listed as a starting CB in the fall camp guide but you didn't list him in the two deep today. 

Holm is not 100 percent right now. Missing reps as he works out a lower body issue with trainers. 

• Like 1