Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
geaux_sioux

Fall Camp Updates 2017

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Grady is still a complete mystery.....  nobody really knows what to expect. As the world turns....

This is when it would be nice to have a football beat writer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Practice #1 is in the books and Bubba and crew really harped on special teams work and two-minute offense.   "Finish strong" was the mantra of the day and that is exactly what they the team did, as QB Andrew Zimmerman connected with Demun Mercer on a 65-plus yard pattern that, if it wasn't a TD, would have set the offense up with 1st and goal to go.  That was the last play of the day in the the 2-minute offense drill and it got everyone excited. 

Other notes and highlights from the day:

  • My hot take for today is that we have the most complete QB group that we've ever had in the DI era, with Studs, Heidelbaugh and Zimmerman, and Ketteringham and Boltmann on deck.  All looked good today on Day 1. Three have a bigger learning curve than the two returning QBs. All that being said, it is not to say that we necessarily have the best QB group in the Big Sky, it simply means top to bottom, the raw talent and potential talent is the best I've seen at UND in the D1 era (that includes when we had Mollberg, Bartels, Studsrud, Riddle and Palendeck  or Braden Hansen, Marcus Hendrickson, Mollberg and Bartels).
  • Studs, Heidelbaugh and Ketteringham had the best day today under center... Boltmann and Zimmerman threw some nice balls but had quite a few balls sailing over receivers.  It should be expected that Studs and Heidlbaugh would be more polished in the pocket due to their familiarity with the offense.
  • Studs didn't do anything flashy but what he did got the job done and almost without error. 
  • A contender for play of the day was a nice long pass, catch and run from Ketteringham to WR Izzy Adeoti for a TD.
  • Studsrud's best connection of the day came when TE Cloyd got behind coverage and went up to grab a long pass for a TD.
  • JUCO Transfer Tykeise Johnson got everyone's attention with a Deion Harris-style pick 6 off of Studs. Johnson was in coverage when he changed directions on a dime and stepped in front of the waiting receiver to snatch the ball and run.
  • Mikey Greibel was impressive today with all balls thrown his way including a one-handed snag along the sidelines. He looks the part early.  
  • Logan Alm played a ton at TE today and was equally impressive catching the ball as he was on hitting his blocks.
  • Cloyd also had a good day at TE
  • Newcomer Hayden Blubaugh made his presence known with some nice sticky-as-glue coverage on receivers, including a nice strong PBU in which he punched the ball out of the path to the receiver at the last second. 

As I alluded to before, practice closed with 2-minute offense series.

Studs took what appears at this point to be the first string OL (Stockwell, Bell, Rooney, Taylor, Cox) and efficiently marched them down the field in the first run of the 2-minute drill. Studs capped off that series with two nice balls to WR Easton Erbes, the second of which was for a TD. Erbes was covered by Canady both times.

Heidelbaugh took the second series with an OL comprising Blair, Aplin, Nguon, Tobin and Mortel.  Heidelbaugh had two nice passing gains during his run: one to Mercer over the middle and a TD in the back of the end zone to WR Stetson Carr.

Zimmerman took the final two series, first with OL Helgren, Bell, Stiner, Miller and Russo. Zimmerman struggled under center at first, though he did have a  nice ball over the middle to newcomer WR Cam McKinney. Ultimately though the series had two balls sail on him and a sack.

Zimmerman then got a chance to  guide, what I am calling the first team OL, down the field for a TD  -- capped off by the beautiful pass to Mercer that ended the day.

As expected, Cam Hunt did not practice due to undisclosed injury.

Also, freshman TE Graham Devore had what appeared to be a hand cast on today at practice.

See you tomorrow.

 

 

 

How did Boltmann look throwing? Ray Haas looking the part? Any Tamar's Strewart sightings? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

How did Boltmann look throwing? Ray Haas looking the part? Any Tamar's Strewart sightings? 

Boltmann was raw and let balls sail a bit... but did hit most of his targets. Looks like a kid out there just trying to get things figured out. To be expected.   I will focus more on Ray tomorrow. I saw more of the MLBs today.... Jake Disterhaupt looks bigger and thicker but just as quick. ( I realized he might be either OLB or MLB or both).    Tamas Stewart was out practicing today with a red "don't touch me" jersey on.  He's healed up... just want to keep him healthy at this point for depth.  He did not show much today but I will keep watching him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic as always! Great to hear that some of the newcomers (Adeoti, Griebel, Blubaugh) are noticeable at practice. Nice to hear Studs is starting strong, granted it is early practice.

Wasn’t expecting to hear names like Easton Erbes and Tykeise Johnson making plays, so that great at well. As Erbes was covered by Canady, I hope that speaks more to Erbes making a play rather than Canady blowing coverage, because we may need Canady to step in a bit this year.

Nice to hear the offense seemed to be flowing overall. I feel like the past few years, we hear how much the defense is clicking right away, but the offense (as is usually expected) starts a bit slower.

Good stuff Teeder! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on a football high a few weeks ago when the Big Sky Kickoff was going on, lots of good news on UND football up to that point.  Then literally a couple days later Harris goes down for the year, then we started hearing grumblings about Grady and then finally heard he isn't back.  Those two pieces of news had me a bit down for a while, but reading Teeder's write up has gotten me all excited again!  

I agree that was interesting to see the offense have so much success, granted to pads today so maybe that had something to do with it.  But either way if our OL comes together we could really have something on offense this year with the weapons and experience we have.  Also liked seeing the new JUCO CB make a play as well, he could end up being a very important pick up for us with Harris out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each year I put out a caveat about reading too much into the no-pad practices as far as whether the O is ahead of the D or vice versa.  I'll do the same this year.

IMHO, because the D has so many more restrictions placed on it as far as "no tackling" "no hitting" and "pin the hip" situations, the Offense has an inherit advantage in the first few days. The emphasis in the first few days is on basic drills where it's difficult to discern any kind of competitive advantage. And the few "live" drills that happen are mostly QB keepers, dives, sweeps and pass plays against a Defense that can't do anything other than lightly wrap up, PBU or intercept.

The tables turn when full pads are donned and that's when the Defense usually comes out on top for a while against an offense that is still finding its way and scrambling a bit -- against a defense that's been one of the best in the FCS the last couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Each year I put out a caveat about reading too much into the no-pad practices as far as whether the O is ahead of the D or vice versa.  I'll do the same this year.

IMHO, because the D has so many more restrictions placed on it as far as "no tackling" "no hitting" and "pin the hip" situations, the Offense has an inherit advantage in the first few days. The emphasis in the first few days is on basic drills where it's difficult to discern any kind of competitive advantage. And the few "live" drills that happen are mostly QB keepers, dives, sweeps and pass plays against a Defense that can't do anything other than lightly wrap up, PBU or intercept.

The tables turn when full pads are donned and that's when the Defense usually comes out on top for a while against an offense that is still finding its way and scrambling a bit -- against a defense that's been one of the best in the FCS the last couple of years.

Offense always comes out gunning to start camp. The D gets burned a ton and gets frustrated until they go full pads. Then things tighten up and the O all of a sudden doesn't look so hot. This even happened with Mussman and his trash defenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Practice #1 is in the books and Bubba and crew really harped on special teams work and two-minute offense.   "Finish strong" was the mantra of the day and that is exactly what they the team did, as QB Andrew Zimmerman connected with Demun Mercer on a 65-plus yard pattern that, if it wasn't a TD, would have set the offense up with 1st and goal to go.  That was the last play of the day in the the 2-minute offense drill and it got everyone excited. 

Other notes and highlights from the day:

  • My hot take for today is that we have the most complete QB group that we've ever had in the DI era, with Studs, Heidelbaugh and Zimmerman, and Ketteringham and Boltmann on deck.  All looked good today on Day 1. Three have a bigger learning curve than the two returning QBs. All that being said, it is not to say that we necessarily have the best QB group in the Big Sky, it simply means top to bottom, the raw talent and potential talent is the best I've seen at UND in the D1 era (that includes when we had Mollberg, Bartels, Studsrud, Riddle and Palendeck  or Braden Hansen, Marcus Hendrickson, Mollberg and Bartels).
  • Studs, Heidelbaugh and Ketteringham had the best day today under center... Boltmann and Zimmerman threw some nice balls but had quite a few balls sailing over receivers.  It should be expected that Studs and Heidlbaugh would be more polished in the pocket due to their familiarity with the offense.
  • Studs didn't do anything flashy but what he did got the job done and almost without error. 
  • A contender for play of the day was a nice long pass, catch and run from Ketteringham to WR Izzy Adeoti for a TD.
  • Studsrud's best connection of the day came when TE Cloyd got behind coverage and went up to grab a long pass for a TD.
  • JUCO Transfer Tykeise Johnson got everyone's attention with a Deion Harris-style pick 6 off of Studs. Johnson was in coverage when he changed directions on a dime and stepped in front of the waiting receiver to snatch the ball and run.
  • Mikey Greibel was impressive today with all balls thrown his way including a one-handed snag along the sidelines. He looks the part early.  
  • Logan Alm played a ton at TE today and was equally impressive catching the ball as he was on hitting his blocks.
  • Cloyd also had a good day at TE
  • Newcomer Hayden Blubaugh made his presence known with some nice sticky-as-glue coverage on receivers, including a nice strong PBU in which he punched the ball out of the path to the receiver at the last second. 

As I alluded to before, practice closed with 2-minute offense series.

Studs took what appears at this point to be the first string OL (Stockwell, Bell, Rooney, Taylor, Cox) and efficiently marched them down the field in the first run of the 2-minute drill. Studs capped off that series with two nice balls to WR Easton Erbes, the second of which was for a TD. Erbes was covered by Canady both times.

Heidelbaugh took the second series with an OL comprising Blair, Aplin, Nguon, Tobin and Mortel.  Heidelbaugh had two nice passing gains during his run: one to Mercer over the middle and a TD in the back of the end zone to WR Stetson Carr.

Zimmerman took the final two series, first with OL Helgren, Bell, Stiner, Miller and Russo. Zimmerman struggled under center at first, though he did have a  nice ball over the middle to newcomer WR Cam McKinney. Ultimately though the series had two balls sail on him and a sack.

Zimmerman then got a chance to  guide, what I am calling the first team OL, down the field for a TD  -- capped off by the beautiful pass to Mercer that ended the day.

As expected, Cam Hunt did not practice due to undisclosed injury.

Also, freshman TE Graham Devore had what appeared to be a hand cast on today at practice.

See you tomorrow.

 

 

 

Tykeise Johnson playing corner or safety? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×