SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Days Weight Gain Meals

geaux_sioux

It's obvious the horse latitudes of the off season right now and the discussion from the 2017 Season thread about gaining weight was giving me flash backs to stuffing my self in order to get those gains I needed in the weight room. So for those that played sports and needed to gain weight let's hear about those legendary meals. I'll start.

My go to at the Pepper was:

1 whole everything

2 beef and been combo tostadas

3 hard shell schneiders

2 cheese tostadas 

2 cups of Mountain Dew 

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I remember an article a while back where Mac Schneider (2000 team center) said he'd mow down 10,000 calories to maintain his weight during the season. 

That's roughly 11 ... dozen ... eggs. 

Mac... breakfast is ready.

e0045533f1233195998c5e0ba27e179b.jpg

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's obvious the horse latitudes of the off season right now and the discussion from the 2017 Season thread about gaining weight was giving me flash backs to stuffing my self in order to get those gains I needed in the weight room. So for those that played sports and needed to gain weight let's hear about those legendary meals. I'll start.

1 whole everything

3 hard shell schneiders

2 cheese tostadas 

2 cups of Mountain Dew 

Not sure when you played, but I think quality of food is also important.  Need good nutrition as well, and I'm not sure that red pepper is the best place to be a regular at for a quality athlete.  I'd be loading up on homemade burritos, heavy on the beans, veggies, guac, veggies, and meats.  But I wasn't a college athlete and you were, so I'll just stfu haha.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Not sure when you played, but I think quality of food is also important.  Need good nutrition as well, and I'm not sure that red pepper is the best place to be a regular at for a quality athlete.  I'd be loading up on homemade burritos, heavy on the beans, veggies, guac, veggies, and meats.  But I wasn't a college athlete and you were, so I'll just stfu haha.

Funny you should say burrito..... 6 scoops of meat at qdoba.....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Also, nutrition is very important but at a certain point you just need the calories to burn so you can use the nutrients to build. Look at Michael Phelps' infamous diet for example. He ate a ton of food that isn't considered healthy by anyone. His body just needed the fuel with how much he was training. JJ Watt is another example. He was actually eating too healthy at the beginning of his career and found his tank running empty too often. The solution was to eat way more than he ever thought to. Ironically he wasn't consuming enough fats so he had to add that to his diet. Point is, nutrition for athletes is very different just because of the ammount of calaries being burned and needing to give your engine enough fuel to burn every day.

I'm going to make some bold, broad eating habits statements about nearly everyone (average person or athlete):

- don't consume enough protein
- don't drink enough plain old water
- too many carbs relative to protein intake 
- should probably be taking a daily multivitamin (because the base diet isn't providing a broad enough spectrum of nutrients)
- far more afraid of fat content than they should be*

*too many foods "reduce fat" by adding in carbs and sugars --> not a good trade

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

1 whole everything

3 hard shell schneiders

2 cheese tostadas 

2 cups of Mountain Dew 

As I wrestler in HS, I always had the opposite problem. Too much to lose, in too short of a time.