SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

• 9 months later...

My heart is heavy. I can never understand how low and desperate some one can get but I don’t know how someone could do that to their own children.  It’s truly mind boogling to me. It’s one thing to take your own life but your children too. They never had a chance, truly sad. I pray for those children and hope god has wrapped his loving embrace around them. 

Hug and kiss your children a little extra tonight. 

• Upvote 1

Setting aside the lightning rod issues of mental illness and access to firearms...

Food for thought: does this tragedy reveal a dark, ugly secret about "GoFundMe" and its role in society?  Do we so much publicize and celebrate the 'viral' success stories, that when someone makes a very modest (and desperate) plea and gets nothing, the pain and despair are magnified?

Humboldt is a unique case, obviously, but doesn't it plainly illustrate the unquestionable generosity of strangers? Should there be a GoFundMe safety net? Does GoFundMe now occupy a special role vis-a-vis state or local government, kind of like a social services surrogate, to assist in the identification of those in need, and the provision of services? If the absolute last gasp of an individual on the edge of the cliff is to reach out via GoFundMe, does the platform necessarily have a moral obligation? 

GoFundMe is, it would seem, the 21st century version of panhandling and street begging. Yet the latter seem to pay off better than the former.

As always, answers are elusive.

33 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Darell

This reminds me back when we went to elementary school and what happened to the Grinde family. So sad. 

I was thinking the same thing. When I visit my parents we walk through the cemetery where the Grinde’s are buried. It’s been 34 years. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Setting aside the lightning rod issues of mental illness and access to firearms...

Food for thought: does this tragedy reveal a dark, ugly secret about "GoFundMe" and its role in society?  Do we so much publicize and celebrate the 'viral' success stories, that when someone makes a very modest (and desperate) plea and gets nothing, the pain and despair are magnified?

Humboldt is a unique case, obviously, but doesn't it plainly illustrate the unquestionable generosity of strangers? Should there be a GoFundMe safety net? Does GoFundMe now occupy a special role vis-a-vis state or local government, kind of like a social services surrogate, to assist in the identification of those in need, and the provision of services? If the absolute last gasp of an individual on the edge of the cliff is to reach out via GoFundMe, does the platform necessarily have a moral obligation? 

GoFundMe is, it would seem, the 21st century version of panhandling and street begging. Yet the latter seem to pay off better than the former.

You make a very valid and sobering point. 

I’m not a mental health expert by any means, but I just can’t fathom in any way, shape, or form why an adult does this to children. A real selfish decision in my opinion. No words or actions justify harming an adult harming a child. Children in this case.

Every person in this world is on their own path in life, and to have it taken away before they can live and experience it is really sad.

My nephew was a classmate on of these kids. Tough discussion I’m sure. Just a pretty sobering reality of life currently.

2 hours ago, LeftyZL said:

I’m not a mental health expert by any means, but I just can’t fathom in any way, shape, or form why an adult does this to children. A real selfish decision in my opinion. No words or actions justify harming an adult harming a child. Children in this case.

Every person in this world is on their own path in life, and to have it taken away before they can live and experience it is really sad.

My nephew was a classmate on of these kids. Tough discussion I’m sure. Just a pretty sobering reality of life currently.

I hate to play arm chair psychologist on this but I've wondered the same thing. My theory is maybe she wanted to ended it for herself and couldn't fathom the idea of her children being without a mother and/or believed they would all be together in whatever afterlife, so chose to take there own lives too. Just my guess, but will never know the why. 

On 5/3/2018 at 9:51 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

GoFundMe for medical bills represents the absolute failure of free market economics in terms of health care.  

• UNDBIZ locked this topic