SiouxSports.com Forum

Greetings from Salt Lake

UofUUtes

22 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

How about a full roster break down with a list of studs?

Defense Breakdown 

Overall - Utah's defense has been the backbone of the program for years. It is built on a strong defensive line that strives to stop the run and force teams to throw. Utah also creates turnovers at a higher rate than most teams and it isn't luck or chance that is the cause. Utah plays a high pressure, complex NFL-like defense. Utah will bring pressure from all over, blitzing LB's, corners and safeties. However, the pressure usually is still only 4-5 man rush. Even though there were some losses on the d-line and lots of losses in the secondary, the Utah defense should reload in 2017

D-Line - The Utes have a strategy and it has consistently produced high-level defensive prospects that transition seamlessly to the NFL. The Utes lost 2 defensive ends in Hunter Dimick (school record holder in sacks) and Pita Taumoepenu. However, Utah doesn't rely solely on starters to contribute. The defensive line usually has 8 lineman deep that rotate throughout the game. With that said, Utah returns senior Kylie Fitts (UCLA transfer) and sophomores Bradlee Anae (A-ni) and Chris Hart. Fitts suffered a foot injury last year and received a medical hardship. He returns this year and, if healthy, projects to be another NFL draft pick. He is not the typical rush end that pins his ears back to get to the quarterback. He is very good at setting the edge in the run game and has a knack of knocking down passes when not getting to the QB. Anae and Hart are more of pure pass rushers. Anae is relentless and has good speed to get to the quarterback. Hart is also a speed guy that can get to the QB. 

The defensive tackle position is where Utah just reloads year after year. The line is led by Lowell Lotulelei (Low-two-lei-lei). The younger brother of the Panther's Star Lotulelei, Lowell will continue the DT tradition at Utah. Lowell decided to return to Utah for his senior year, forgoing the NFL draft, due to a 2016 season slowed by injuries. He is big and fast and has tremendous strength (watch him throw the guard to the ground here). He demands double teams on nearly every play, which allows the LB's to move freely to the ball carrier. Lowell is joined by fellow senior Filipo (Fe-lee-po) Mokofisi (Mo-ko-fee-see). Filipo is versatile enough to play tackle or end. Look for him to move all over the d-line and try to expose matchup problems vs the o-line. 

This line is very deep and very talented. Look for any number of guys to make plays during the UND game. Some notable contributors should be Maxs (Max-is) Tupai (Too-pi)Alani (A-lawn-ee) Havili-Katoa (Haw-vee-lee . Kah-toe-a) and Leki (Leh-key) Fotu (Pho-too)

Linebackers - The Utes return a lot of linebackers and added a couple transfers to provide depth. Utah has slowly transitioned to a 4-2-5 defense due to the abundance of spread teams in college football. Due to that, Utah likes players that can be hybrids. Whether a smaller D-end that can play coverage, or a safety that can play in the box against the run, Utah likes versatile players they can move all over the field. 

Seniors Sunia (Soo-nee-a) Tauteoli (Tao-tee-o-lee) and Kavika (Kah-vee-ka) Luafatasaga (Lou-a-fa-ta-san-ga) are the top 2 guys. Sunia is a smaller linebacker that run sideline to sideline and loves to hit. He is like a missile to the ball. Kavika is a long, fast LB. He has the ability to get to the QB but can also fills running lanes and run with TE's. Junior Cody Barton started many games last year, but struggled to make tackles. His numbers are deceiving a bit as teams liked to create an advantage vs Cody. For example, against Oregon he had 20 tackles, but many of them happened after large gains. Sophomore Donovan Thompson is an instinctual linebacker. He is usually always in the right position and has a knack to make big plays. 

Two newcomers should make the LB battle competitive. Arizona grad-transfer Cody Ippolito and Weber State transfer Karsen Liljenquist should make the LB core the deepest it has been in years

Cornerbacks - This is the position that was gutted the most from the 2016 team. The talent is there to put together a good secondary, but the experience is severely lacking. Returning are senior Boobie Hobbs , junior Tyrone Smith and sophomores Julian Blackmon and Terrell Burgess. Hobbs has the most experience, but is limited to covering the slot receivers. Smith and Burgess are both converted receivers, although Burgess played both ways his freshman year. Blackmon is the most experienced DB on the outside and should earn a starting spot. 

The other starting spot will be a battle between Smith and some very talented incoming players. Tareke Lewis is a four-star JUCO transfer that loves to play bump-and-run coverage. Jaylon Johnson was the top recruit in the 2017 class for Utah. Johnson is very physical and moves his hips extremely well. He chose Utah over Oklahoma, USC and Arizona St. Many believe Jaylon will step right into the starting spot. Another incoming freshman to keep an eye on is Javelin Guidry. He's another 4-star kid that chose Utah over Texas. What makes him special is his unbelievable speed. As a senior in high school, Guidry won the CIF 100m championship with a time of 10.13 seconds. For comparison, the world record is 9.58 seconds by Usain Bolt. He will play the slot, and probably will be more impactful on special teams vs UND.

Safeties - Utah lost Marcus Williams to the NFL draft (2nd round, Saints) and it will be a big hole to fill in 2017. Williams was a true center field guy that allowed Utah to play 1 high safety and allow the strong safety to help with the run game and blitz. But Utah does bring back Honorable Mention Pac-12 strong safety Chase Hansen

Hansen, a converted QB, is a big hitter and playmaker. As the most experienced player in the Utah secondary, he'll look to set the tone and help the newcomers in Utah complex defensive schemes. Alongside Hansen will be two 4-star JUCO transfers. Corrion Ballard enrolled early at Utah and impressed during spring ball. There will be a drop off from Williams, but Ballard is of the same ilk as far as ball-hawking, centerfield type free safeties. Marquise Blair is a JUCO All-American that should be a hybrid safety-linebacker. I wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 of those guys on the field together.

What to expect vs. UND?

I expect mistakes to be made in the secondary early in the season. Due to that, I think you'll see defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley dial up a lot of pressure from the experienced d-line and linebackers. Utah loves to play press coverage across the board and really struggled when forced to play zone coverage in 2016. I don't think UND will be able to line up head to head and run on Utah. I haven't studied your offense much, but I would try to use a lot of play-action and complex routes to confuse a young secondary. UND cannot abandon the run game or else Utah will be able to dial up pressure after pressure and make it a long day for the QB. 

2-Deep 

DE - Bradlee Anae, Chris Hart

DT - Lowell Lotulelei, Alani Havili-Katoa

DT - Filipo Mokofisi, Leki Fotu

DE - Kylie Fitts, Filipo Mokofisi

LB - Sunia Tauteoli, Donovan Thompson

LB - Kavika Luafatasaga, Cody Barton

CB - Julian Blackmon, Tareke Lewis

CB - Jaylon Johnson, Tyrone Smith

NB - Boobie Hobbs, Terrell Burgess

FS - Corrion Ballard, Casey Hughes

SS - Chase Hansen, Marquise Blair 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, UofUUtes said:

What to expect vs. UND?

I expect mistakes to be made in the secondary early in the season. Due to that, I think you'll see defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley dial up a lot of pressure from the experienced d-line and linebackers. Utah loves to play press coverage across the board and really struggled when forced to play zone coverage in 2016. I don't think UND will be able to line up head to head and run on Utah. I haven't studied your offense much, but I would try to use a lot of play-action and complex routes to confuse a young secondary. UND cannot abandon the run game or else Utah will be able to dial up pressure after pressure and make it a long day for the QB. 

I agree.  We'd be foolish to think a typical vanilla offense is going to cut it in this game.  If our coordinators, O and D, don't win their respective battles we (UND) will be in a lot of trouble.  Just speculating, but I think UND will be a little stronger on the lines than you think, being an FCS school.  Definitely a wild card with the Ute's offensive changes this year.  Thanks for all the analysis and insight!!

3 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I agree.  We'd be foolish to think a typical vanilla offense is going to cut it in this game.  If our coordinators, O and D, don't win their respective battles we (UND) will be in a lot of trouble.  Just speculating, but I think UND will be a little stronger on the lines than you think, being an FCS school.  Definitely a wild card with the Ute's offensive changes this year.  Thanks for all the analysis and insight!!

Our D coordinator is up for the task, but I really worry about Mr. Triple Reverse.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Irish said:

Our D coordinator is up for the task, but I really worry about Mr. Triple Reverse.

-for the Utes fans.  We were just about to put Richmond away in the play-offs last season, marching the ball with the lead and there was a double reverse that didn't go so well and that was part of a catastrophic loss in a game we were controlling......... 

Longtime fan   

• Longtime fan
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted April 18 · 

On 4/17/2017 at 10:51 AM, gundy1124 said: 

And I think their best DL is leaving early for the draft, too!!

Yes, it will be an interesting game.  Taylor and Schmitty will probably be thinking about each other all summer.:love:

They had 5 DL on the pac12 all conf teams.   3 were seniors. The best and biggest in my opinion will be back....he was a fresh all American , 1st team PAC 12 as a soph and possibly injured last year....Hon mention  PAC 12 as a jun.  He's a 6'3" 320lb senior.  His partner is a 6'3" 290lb senior....HM PAC 12.  Big big Samoans!!!  They also bring back DE (ucla transfer) that was inj game 3.  He was leading the team in sacks and TFLs before the injury.   He will be a senior as well.   They will be very difficult to run against.   

They lose their entire o line except one.  Glad to get them in first game of season.  They have only 4 upper class men here ....2 sen 2 jun.  Our quickness could create problems for them.  

Their secondary loses 5 of top 6 guys...but the one coming back is a stud ...6'3" 220 jun.  need to be able to pass on them  

They return a first team all American punter.....field position field position field position!! 

They are going up tempo this year and they are built for it.....the majority of the skilled guys are smallish....5-9ish 175 lb ish.  Quickness.  

und brings back a ton of experienced men ....and they know how to win.  cant wait!!! 

I posted this back in April in a different thread. My take is the same today: 

Utah will very difficult to run against, not only for UND, but for any team.  Their DL does not get pushed around...they do the pushing.   Keaton and the passing game need to be playing at a high level for UND to have any chance of a victory.  Keeping Utah honest is a must!  I would like the TEs to be used early and often and a ton of screen passes to say Santiago or Cam. Three and half yards each play, all day would make me smile.   They need to burn the clock and keep their offense off the field.   I have knocked Rudolph almost every game since his arrival....hope I don't after this game.  

I really want to see UNDs quickness at the LB positions to be the strength against these guys. They could exploit the massive inexperienced o line of the Utes.   I like the backers in this game. Schmitty will get the most out of his players, so I'm not worried about focus, discipline and being game ready.  The secondary will be tested, well UND has two pre season all Americans in the secondary plus a very talented true sophomore.   If UND can get pressure around the edges, I like UNDs secondary against a completely revamped offense.  UND needs to make their qb twitchy and jumpy from the gate.  

UND returns a ton of players that have started 3 or 4 years now.  Senior class is seasoned and seems to be a lot of leadership within that group. It will take a massive doing to leave Utah with a victory but this is Unds  most talented and experienced team to date. 

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Longtime fan   

• Longtime fan
  • Members
  • 955 posts

Posted April 18 · 

On 4/17/2017 at 10:51 AM, gundy1124 said: 

And I think their best DL is leaving early for the draft, too!!

Yes, it will be an interesting game.  Taylor and Schmitty will probably be thinking about each other all summer.:love:

They had 5 DL on the pac12 all conf teams.   3 were seniors. The best and biggest in my opinion will be back....he was a fresh all American , 1st team PAC 12 as a soph and possibly injured last year....Hon mention  PAC 12 as a jun.  He's a 6'3" 320lb senior.  His partner is a 6'3" 290lb senior....HM PAC 12.  Big big Samoans!!!  They also bring back DE (ucla transfer) that was inj game 3.  He was leading the team in sacks and TFLs before the injury.   He will be a senior as well.   They will be very difficult to run against.   

They lose their entire o line except one.  Glad to get them in first game of season.  They have only 4 upper class men here ....2 sen 2 jun.  Our quickness could create problems for them.  

Their secondary loses 5 of top 6 guys...but the one coming back is a stud ...6'3" 220 jun.  need to be able to pass on them  

They return a first team all American punter.....field position field position field position!! 

They are going up tempo this year and they are built for it.....the majority of the skilled guys are smallish....5-9ish 175 lb ish.  Quickness.  

und brings back a ton of experienced men ....and they know how to win.  cant wait!!! 

I posted this back in April in a different thread. My take is the same today: 

Utah will very difficult to run against, not only for UND, but for any team.  Their DL does not get pushed around...they do the pushing.   Keaton and the passing game need to be playing at a high level for UND to have any chance of a victory.  Keeping Utah honest is a must!  I would like the TEs to be used early and often and a ton of screen passes to say Santiago or Cam. Three and half yards each play, all day would make me smile.   They need to burn the clock and keep their offense off the field.   I have knocked Rudolph almost every game since his arrival....hope I don't after this game.  

I really want to see UNDs quickness at the LB positions to be the strength against these guys. They could exploit the massive inexperienced o line of the Utes.   I like the backers in this game. Schmitty will get the most out of his players, so I'm not worried about focus, discipline and being game ready.  The secondary will be tested, well UND has two pre season all Americans in the secondary plus a very talented true sophomore.   If UND can get pressure around the edges, I like UNDs secondary against a completely revamped offense.  UND needs to make their qb twitchy and jumpy from the gate.  

UND returns a ton of players that have started 3 or 4 years now.  Senior class is seasoned and seems to be a lot of leadership within that group. It will take a massive doing to leave Utah with a victory but this is Unds  most talented and experienced team to date. 

Don't forget about Tyus Carter.

9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I try to never underestimate anyone and truly didn't in this situation. However, many teams struggle to run on Utah. Last year there were only 3 teams that could consistently get yards in the run game*. USC, UW, and Oregon. I could argue that scheme did Utah in vs UW and Oregon, whereas USC is just plain talent. 

*When I mention consistent yards, I don't mean breaking a few big runs to bolster the yard/carry average. For instance, Oregon St had 4 runs over 20+ yards (22, 26, 32 and 37). The other 32 carries netted 80 yards total. I understand big plays happen but they do tend to skew the average. On paper it looks like OSU rushed for 5.6 ypc, but anyone that digs deeper can see that the Beavers did nothing outside of 4 big plays 

28 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Good question on the number of fans. What is a good bar to go to after the game?

I guess it would depend on the atmosphere you are looking for. Here are a few that are downtown, which is 10 minutes from the stadium:

Lumpy's - This is the original bar for Utah fans. There are 2 locations, one located downtown and another a little south from the U of U. If you are looking for the true sports bar experience, this is the place. The downtown location is a bit more upscale and will have a more diverse crowd. The other location will be packed with Utah fans before, during and after the game. 

The Bayou - 100's of beers from all over the place

Squatters - Local craft beer

The Green Pig - Mixture of sports and music

Red Rock Brewing - Another local craft beer (and home to my favorite, the Elephino)

Tavernacle - Piano bar (definitely make reservations)

Gracie's - Don't go here unless you're college age...or wanting to act like it

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Thank your for this great thread and all of the contributions. 

Is there a must try food or restaurant? Something unique to Salt Lake City?

There are definitely many good options close to downtown and the university. 

The Copper Onion - Is a favorite of mine. 

Red Iguana - Best Mexican food in Utah. The original location is pretty small and can have long wait times, but don't worry, there is an RI2 very close by

Park Cafe - Very popular breakfast spot, probably will see football players in there the day after the game

Ruth's Diner - If you have a car and want to see some of the Utah mountain's, head up the canyon to Ruth's Diner. Breakfast is better than dinner, but can't go wrong

The Porcupine - This place is also a favorite of mine. A location opened on campus and would be a good place to walk down to after the game for a bite and beer

And if you want a slice, The Pie is the place to go. The original is also on campus and will take you back to your college days.

Depending on when you are coming into town, I'd go with something like this...

Wednesday afternoon take a drive up Emigration Canyon and have lunch outside at Ruth's Diner. Wednesday night head over to Red Iguana, try the mole and have margaritas.

Game day, start with breakfast at The Park Cafe and head to the State Liquor store (opens at 11) for real beer and liquor. Then head up to campus and explore the campus, ending up at the Pie for pizza and a pitcher of beer. Hit up the tailgating scene, enjoy the game and then down to Porcupine to let the traffic die down. 

Friday morning, wake up late and take in brunch at the Copper Onion. 

At least I would do that if I could spend 3 days doing nothing but football, eating and drinking in SLC

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, UofUUtes said:

There are definitely many good options close to downtown and the university. 

The Copper Onion - Is a favorite of mine. 

Red Iguana - Best Mexican food in Utah. The original location is pretty small and can have long wait times, but don't worry, there is an RI2 very close by

Park Cafe - Very popular breakfast spot, probably will see football players in there the day after the game

Ruth's Diner - If you have a car and want to see some of the Utah mountain's, head up the canyon to Ruth's Diner. Breakfast is better than dinner, but can't go wrong

The Porcupine - This place is also a favorite of mine. A location opened on campus and would be a good place to walk down to after the game for a bite and beer

And if you want a slice, The Pie is the place to go. The original is also on campus and will take you back to your college days.

Depending on when you are coming into town, I'd go with something like this...

Wednesday afternoon take a drive up Emigration Canyon and have lunch outside at Ruth's Diner. Wednesday night head over to Red Iguana, try the mole and have margaritas.

Game day, start with breakfast at The Park Cafe and head to the State Liquor store (opens at 11) for real beer and liquor. Then head up to campus and explore the campus, ending up at the Pie for pizza and a pitcher of beer. Hit up the tailgating scene, enjoy the game and then down to Porcupine to let the traffic die down. 

Friday morning, wake up late and take in brunch at the Copper Onion. 

At least I would do that if I could spend 3 days doing nothing but football, eating and drinking in SLC

Thanks for all the info. I plan on spending a couple of days in SLC. 

3 hours ago, UofUUtes said:

I guess it would depend on the atmosphere you are looking for. Here are a few that are downtown, which is 10 minutes from the stadium:

Lumpy's - This is the original bar for Utah fans. There are 2 locations, one located downtown and another a little south from the U of U. If you are looking for the true sports bar experience, this is the place. The downtown location is a bit more upscale and will have a more diverse crowd. The other location will be packed with Utah fans before, during and after the game. 

The Bayou - 100's of beers from all over the place

Squatters - Local craft beer

The Green Pig - Mixture of sports and music

Red Rock Brewing - Another local craft beer (and home to my favorite, the Elephino)

Tavernacle - Piano bar (definitely make reservations)

Gracie's - Don't go here unless you're college age...or wanting to act like it

We were at The Green Pig and Squatters when we were out there for the NCAAs - both fun bars!

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2017 at 6:12 PM, UofUUtes said:

I'm not sure what UND's deal was with the Sioux tribe, but the U of Utah has a really good relationship with the Ute tribe. There is a scholarship program for Ute Tribe members. Each year one of the games is dedicated to the Ute Tribe and they are invited to participate in the halftime activities (usually one of the best performances all year. And the Tribe has stated numerous times that they officially approve of the name usage. There are some within and outside the tribe that feel differently, but the official stance of the tribe is one of support for the Ute nickname.

I understand all that and that why they told the NCAA to bugger off. I read a pretty detailed article about it a while back.  

One of the points made was---do we also have to change the state name? LOL I loved that one.

I hate the NCAA.