SiouxSports.com Forum

Top 5 Newcomers 2017

geaux_sioux

45 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We're in the horse latitudes right now for football.... so who do you think will be the top 5 newcomers to step up and contribute this coming season. I define a newcomer as someone who wasn't on the 2 deep last year and at most contributed on special teams. 

an Obvious one Grady train

I would pick Grady since he didn't play last year but he started the year before so I'll spread out the love a little

Stewart - could be the key to the defense. If he can stay healthy and be the FS we so desperately need our secondary will be scary.

Haas - Length for days and nothing but good reports out of spring. I've had this guy pegged since he committed, please don't make me look dumb.

Larson - Has stud written all over him. I expect this shirt to get pulled early.

McKinney - Kind of like Stewart to the defense, this guy could be the key for the offense. If he can be a legit deep threat we will be in business.

Zimmerman - we finally have a backup qb..... I think. If he is legit that means Studs doesn't have to play like he's on a yellow(soccer reference). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I would pick Grady since he didn't play last year but he started the year before so I'll spread out the love a little

Stewart - could be the key to the defense. If he can stay healthy and be the FS we so desperately need our secondary will be scary.

Haas - Length for days and nothing but good reports out of spring. I've had this guy pegged since he committed, please don't make me look dumb.

Larson - Has stud written all over him. I expect this shirt to get pulled early.

McKinney - Kind of like Stewart to the defense, this guy could be the key for the offense. If he can be a legit deep threat we will be in business.

Zimmerman - we finally have a backup qb..... I think. If he is legit that means Studs doesn't have to play like he's on a yellow(soccer reference). 

Totally agree - Whomever plays opposite of Reyes, (Stewart, Flowers, Canady) will be the most critical position/performance in the season for the defense.  

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, homer said:

Not sure he counts as a newcomer as he got reps last year as 3rd on the depth chart but Mason Bennett could take a huge step forward this season.  

I wouldn't call him a newcomer. I'd call him a potential new impact player. Perhaps that will have its own thread one day...

38 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Alex Cloyd could be set to have a big impact on the ground game as well as the passing game.  I'm thinking like  "That's another UND first down..."

I thought about throwing him in there. I just don't know what the role of the TEs will be in the offense this year. I'd love to see them really utilized in that awkward mid range passing game that kills defenses. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I thought about throwing him in there. I just don't know what the role of the TEs will be in the offense this year. I'd love to see them really utilized in that awkward mid range passing game that kills defenses. 

Agreed, because between Cloyd and Pinke there is some serious potential.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Many more weapons this season.  Offense should be able to score often and control the ball for extensive periods of time. 

I've been told that Izzy Adeoti will be one to watch from the get-go and could be one to stretch the field for us. I see McKinney as more of a jet sweep option and slot receiver ala a faster version of RJ McGill (when he was healthy).

34 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I've been told that Izzy Adeoti will be one to watch from the get-go and could be one to stretch the field for us. I see McKinney as more of a jet sweep option and slot receiver ala a faster version of RJ McGill (when he was healthy).

Adeoti sounds like he could be pretty solid. It will be interesting to see who all plays this year as a True Freshman ... Adeoti, Mckinney, Griebel? Who sits? Any of them? I have to imagine that at least 2 of them play this year, since our current receivers aren't exactly speedsters. That being said, I really hope to see some of our current guys take some big steps forward, especially Wanzek, I think he could be a really special player over the next few year.

Keep forgetting we still have Mercer for another year too. He could be a huge part of this offense. This seems about as deep as we have been at WR for quite a while.

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Adeoti sounds like he could be pretty solid. It will be interesting to see who all plays this year as a True Freshman ... Adeoti, Mckinney, Griebel? Who sits? Any of them? I have to imagine that at least 2 of them play this year, since our current receivers aren't exactly speedsters. That being said, I really hope to see some of our current guys take some big steps forward, especially Wanzek, I think he could be a really special player over the next few year.

Keep forgetting we still have Mercer for another year too. He could be a huge part of this offense. This seems about as deep as we have been at WR for quite a while.

I was very impressed with the way he stepped up halfway through the season. I also like that he seems to be a stand up guy, great mentor for the younger receivers.

18 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Alex Cloyd could be set to have a big impact on the ground game as well as the passing game.  I'm thinking like  "That's another UND first down..."

With Grady back and another year of experience for the other OL guys, IF they can come together......and with the offensive weapons and experience we have on that side of the ball this year.....we should really be able to control the clock on offense and demoralize opponents. 

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

With Grady back and another year of experience for the other OL guys, IF they can come together......and with the offensive weapons and experience we have on that side of the ball this year.....we should really be able to control the clock on offense and demoralize opponents. 

Studs needs to be consistent all year for me to really believe this.  He seemed to play better last year when we picked up the tempo.  

• Upvote 2

Between McKinney, Adeoti and Griebel, we have 3 incoming guys with 'jet' type traits.  Although I consider Griebel more of an option in the backfield as a 3rd down scat back than the other 2, all 3 could easily be in the mix for the rotation. I see Griebel as a slash type guy, while Adeoti and McKinney are WRs.

Although McKinney has the upper hand after going through spring ball and weights, it could be a battle between those 3 this fall to see who redshirts and who doesnt.  I can't imagine them pulling the redshirt off all 3, but I don't think 2 is out of the question especially pending injuries etc.

Those 3 will complement our bigger 'X' type receivers well: 

- Stanley (6-4 Junior)
- Toivonen (6-3 Soph)
- Wanzek (6-4 Soph)
- Mercer (6-2 Senior)
- Carr (6-2 Senior)
- Dulin (6-4 Soph)
- Bartosh (6-2 Junior)
- Pifer (6-3 Freshman)

Some wildcards and unknowns there obviously, but the pure size of our WR depth chart is pretty impressive.

4 hours ago, homer said:

Studs needs to be consistent all year for me to really believe this.  He seemed to play better last year when we picked up the tempo.  

I agree, if Studs is inconsistent the entire offense will be.  Hoping for improved OL play particularly at the beginning of the year which will help him.  Wanzek, Toivonen, and Mercer all being first year players last year I'm sure didn't help Studs inconsistency.  No excuses this year though, and he's a senior.....he has to step up this year along with everybody else. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/6/2017 at 10:42 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Grady

Haas

Larson

Mckinney

Johannsen

This ^   great list  

I would like to add Finke.  Not sure he will get much playing time this year with Norberg manning the spot but he is ultra athletic for a guy his size. He plays the way I like it...mean!   Has great hands and hard to bring down when rolling.  Gets to his man fast and with a "pop".  Looking for big things from him in the future.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

This ^   great list  

I would like to add Finke.  Not sure he will get much playing time this year with Norberg manning the spot but he is ultra athletic for a guy his size. He plays the way I like it...mean!   Has great hands and hard to bring down when rolling.  Gets to his man fast and with a "pop".  Looking for big things from him in the future.  

and he probably has the best hair on the team.

Brett Finke 2868646

• Upvote 1