SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Pucks

pivetz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On the look out for the following season pucks.

2000-2001

2001-2002

2002-2003

2004-2005

2005-2006

2011-2012

2013-2014

Any that are available please let me know.  Or if you have pictures of them,  I am doing a collage painting of Fighting Sioux Era pucks.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Do some have years written on them? I have two game pucks taken from the cooler in the penalty box that have the logo on the front and Home of Economy on the back. Also logo on the front and WCHA on the back and none of mine have the year on them...?

The pucks with the year on them are mainly collector pucks.  I am not sure if any game pucks had the year on them, those are generally a different puck that they use for more than one season.  I can use any pictures if you have any.  I need as many different puck pics as I can get.  I have received some Christmas puck pictures, I guess they made those for a couple years.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 11:41 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I have a half dozen game pucks from the Barn, I don't think they have anything on them. I'll have to find them in the garage and take a good look.

If you find any a picture would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I went outside to shovel snow, got driveway and sidewalks done, and by golly, I found the 5 old hockey pucks in garage. I had to slap one around on the icy driveway for a while. 

They came from THE BARN @ UND  ---   Here's what's Printed on the sides of Puck :

" OFFICIAL MADE IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA " or " VICEROY  CANADA "

First 2 pics are of Czech and Canada pucks, Czech to the left in 1st pic, right in 2nd.

Next 4 pics are of Czech Puck

Last 2 pics of Canada Puck

20171102_040847.jpg

20171102_041237.jpg

MADE IN CZECHOSLOSVAKIA     on next 3 pics20171102_041137.jpg

20171102_041143.jpg

20171102_041154.jpg

OFFICIAL on Czech puck

20171102_041202.jpg

VICEROY on Canada puck

20171102_041043.jpg

CANADA

20171102_041119.jpg

I would think even Bizon fans would know that we make our own ice at The Ralph, that should then included everyone.

How about who makes these hockey pucks? From looking at the pictures above, it seems like we bought them from Canada and Czechoslovakia years ago. I seen on the pregame video at the St. Lawerence Friday MH game, a hockey puck machine making hockey pucks, does the Ralph have one? This video was showing stuff that goes on at The Ralph to start the hockey season.

In the early years, c. 1860-1870s, a rubber ball was the object used in hockey. Because the ball bounced too much, a block of wood was sometimes used instead. The modern hockey puck was invented around 1875. There are two different versions of its origination. One story claims that in 1875, students at Boston University sliced a rubber ball in half to make a puck. Another version places the evolution in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The owner of one of the first indoor ice rinks, Victoria Rink, also allegedly sliced a rubber ball in half. In any case, the first recorded use of a flat disk was in Montreal in March 1875.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Hockey-Puck.html#ixzz4xI8B92Mf

On 11/2/2017 at 10:47 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I would think even Bizon fans would know that we make our own ice at The Ralph, that should then included everyone.

How about who makes these hockey pucks? From looking at the pictures above, it seems like we bought them from Canada and Czechoslovakia years ago. I seen on the pregame video at the St. Lawerence Friday MH game, a hockey puck machine making hockey pucks, does the Ralph have one? This video was showing stuff that goes on at The Ralph to start the hockey season.

The video also shows skates being made. I don't believe the Ralph makes their own skates or pucks.

Still on the lookout for the 2007 or 2008 ish puck the I think was a season puck with an anima looking Indian hockey Player on it.  Also there is a puck with both the logo and the ND on it from around 2009 I think.  And any Christmas Pucks. For Sale or Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:22 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

In the early years, c. 1860-1870s, a rubber ball was the object used in hockey. Because the ball bounced too much, a block of wood was sometimes used instead. The modern hockey puck was invented around 1875. There are two different versions of its origination. One story claims that in 1875, students at Boston University sliced a rubber ball in half to make a puck. Another version places the evolution in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The owner of one of the first indoor ice rinks, Victoria Rink, also allegedly sliced a rubber ball in half. In any case, the first recorded use of a flat disk was in Montreal in March 1875.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Hockey-Puck.html#ixzz4xI8B92Mf

I've always been told by locals that University of Minnesota students playing a game on Lake Nokomis invented the hockey puck in the 1300's...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I've always been told by locals that University of Minnesota students playing a game on Lake Nokomis invented the hockey puck in the 1300's...

Over the centuries, that story has been grossly exaggerated by goofs fans in the metro area, with two major flaws; this is how it is told by the elders in the Dakotas

First of all, it was not students, it was Sioux Indians from the far reaching plains NW of Lake Nokomis that would come onto that pond with an oak stick and out skate (on moccasins) the locals. Gophers would temporarily come out of hibernation and line up on the shores to watch the annual Big Game.

Secondly,  the hockey puck was a chunk of frozen bissons sh$t.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Over the centuries, that story has been grossly exaggerated by goofs fans in the metro area, with two major flaws; this is how it is told by the elders in the Dakotas

First of all, it was not students, it was Sioux Indians from the far reaching plains NW of Lake Nokomis that would come onto that pond with an oak stick and out skate (on moccasins) the locals. Gophers would temporarily come out of hibernation and line up on the shores to watch the annual Big Game.

But this is where the gophers would squeal "SKI-U" after a goal, right?  And then in 1492, Christopher Columbus wrote "The Minnesota Rouser" and added "SKI-U-MAH" to the song.  Or was it "ROW THE BOAT?"

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

But this is where the gophers would squeal "SKI-U" after a goal, right?  And then in 1492, Christopher Columbus wrote "The Minnesota Rouser" and added "SKI-U-MAH" to the song.  Or was it "ROW THE BOAT?"

That boat has been sinking all year.

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Wait, I have that wrong.  Christopher Columbus brought genocide to the New World and it was the natives who wrote "The Minnesota Rouser" to scare him into sending the boats back to Spain.  I apologize for the error and hope that I did not offend anyone with my post.