SiouxSports.com Forum

Arbor Park

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So you mean people who's livelihood (business owners) or quality of life (current residents) that would most directly be affected by what happens to the park are in favor of developing it? Seems like a good reason to "Vote No to Grow".

Maybe, maybe not on saving Amazing Grains, but there is absolutely zero argument that those extra people would have helped them out.

And as they change their business model from a natural foods supermarket to a proposed eatery (presumably downtown)... these extra bodies within walking distance could help in the future.

Arbor Park is not a park.  It is a vacant lot where there is a cute little archway , a couple paths,  and trees and bushes were planted in the interim before a business came in to develop there.  Are people actually going there to spend time and hangout?  Besides the occasional photo engagement photo and Senior picture photo sessions that take place there, how much is it actually used?  The city needs to encourage downtown development.  There is plenty of green space near downtown.  This half block of "park" being gone is not going to take away from that.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Arbor Park is not a park.  It is a vacant lot where there is a cute little archway , a couple paths,  and trees and bushes were planted in the interim before a business came in to develop there.  Are people actually going there to spend time and hangout?  Besides the occasional photo engagement photo and Senior picture photo sessions that take place there, how much is it actually used?  The city needs to encourage downtown development.  There is plenty of green space near downtown.  This half block of "park" being gone is not going to take away from that.

Arbor park is fantastic as are the other pocket parks. We should hold on to the others but this opportunity with Arbor Park is too good to pass up. These are the types of projects that Grand Forks needs to embrace if we want to compete with other cities to keep talented young people around and attract a talented work force for new innovative businesses. People tend to be reactionary with most everything in life, we would benefit from embracing a little vision from time to time. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, GForks said:

Spend a weekday walking around our downtown. 

....Wishing there was a cool park to take a picture at and enjoy a lunch outside.

Saw a youtube video a year ago of a couple young gals from Fargo that came to GF for the day. They really enjoyed Arbor Park. 

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

....Wishing there was a cool park to take a picture at and enjoy a lunch outside.

Saw a youtube video a year ago of a couple young gals from Fargo that came to GF for the day. They really enjoyed Arbor Park. 

It's too bad we don't have town square a block away, the river/walking paths/riverbanks another block away, and the Greenway a couple blocks the other way to do exactly what you just mentioned.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GForks said:

It's too bad we don't have town square a block away, the river/walking paths/riverbanks another block away, and the Greenway a couple blocks the other way to do exactly what you just mentioned.

Town square is an ugly concrete jungle. The green way is a Prarie with a sidewalk that is too far to walk to for the millenials.

7 minutes ago, GForks said:

You don't have any skin in the game but you decided to write 2000 words in support of the project. Interesting.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

You don't have any skin in the game but you decided to write 2000 words in support of the project. Interesting.

I guess in that case my skin in the game is that I live in Grand Forks and want what I feel is best for my town.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Town square is an ugly concrete jungle. The green way is a Prarie with a sidewalk that is too far to walk to for the millenials.

That's rich considering it's generally not millenials who complain that they have to park a block or more away from where they want to go downtown.

50 minutes ago, Cratter said:

It's only a matter of time before the others too.

Its really not. It would be far more expensive and less fruitful to build over the other pocket parks with the exception of the one on the corner which needs to go anyway.  The buildings neighboring the others have windows facing the park and egress exits going in to them. That creates a nightmare for planning a building in those spots.

15 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I agree with you here.  It's cool to have but I dont see why it needs to be all concrete. The stage sure, but everyone enjoys grass more than concrete. Greenspace is always important. You're stretching pretty hard on the green way though. I see plenty of whippersnappers all over the greenway with their fixed gear bikes and man buns. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The photographer who took pics at my wedding absolutely loved downtown Grand Forks. He is from Fargo and wishes they had pocket parks like we do. We must keep the others but the corner park and part of Arbor park would be better served with a building.

31 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The buildings neighboring the others have windows facing the park and egress exits going in to them.

Sounds like the Minneapolis dt building I use to live in. Window had a nice view of the neighbors wall. And it was a new building.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Arbor park is fantastic as are the other pocket parks. We should hold on to the others but this opportunity with Arbor Park is too good to pass up. These are the types of projects that Grand Forks needs to embrace if we want to compete with other cities to keep talented young people around and attract a talented work force for new innovative businesses. People tend to be reactionary with most everything in life, we would benefit from embracing a little vision from time to time. 

??? the other pocket parks are junk...

• Downvote 1

17 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Grand Forks and/or North Dakota needing more 'green space' and comparing it to New York City/Central Park is pretty dang funny... the whole damn state is green space. We need development and growth with investments in projects such as this. 

I'd suggest the awesome Greenway which is a couple blocks away(and runs for about 6 continuous miles) as Arbor Park faithfuls' alternative choice. If that's not enough you could even cross the river to EGF for several more miles(however not as well maintained).

I agree with you there. What makes central park so special is the dense concentration of population and development surrounding it and, consequently, its active use. Without the surrounding development and activity, central park would just be like any other unused natural area. 

Grand Forks has plenty of green space. What's missing from this equation is the development to support it.

• Upvote 2