SiouxSports.com Forum

The Vote - Measure 4: 5 years later

Siouxperfan7

It was 5 years ago today that North Dakotans went to the polls to vote to retire the Fighting Sioux Nickname.  A very difficult vote for many people.  In hindsight, I still believe it was the right decision.  A lot has happened since Measure 4 passed and UND retired the Fighting Sioux name and logo.  We have a new nickname and logo, merchandise is for sale at stores, teams have won conference and National Championships under the new name.  June 12th, 2012 was a tough day for all UND fans.  But 4 years later, I think that the right decision was made and the University is better off for citizens understanding the consequences and making the right decision.  

measure 4.jpg

• Upvote 4

I agree it was the right decision but history will never remember that the only reason the vote was so one-sided was because of the "threats" that UND would not be allowed into the Big Sky and would not be able to schedule other schools because the NCAA was lobbying schools not to schedule UND.

If none of that would have been on the table and it was simply the will of the people this vote might have gone differently - I believe the will of the people was to keep the nickname but all the threats and dire predictions of doom for UND athletics overrode that.

It's still incredibly disconcerting that there are so many Native American nicknames still in use - and no it should not matter that a tribe has given its permission to a school because no one should be able to give anyone else permission to use a "racist" nickname. (oops got on the soapbox). 

21 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I agree it was the right decision but history will never remember that the only reason the vote was so one-sided was because of the "threats" that UND would not be allowed into the Big Sky and would not be able to schedule other schools because the NCAA was lobbying schools not to schedule UND.

If none of that would have been on the table and it was simply the will of the people this vote might have gone differently - I believe the will of the people was to keep the nickname but all the threats and dire predictions of doom for UND athletics overrode that.

It's still incredibly disconcerting that there are so many Native American nicknames still in use - and no it should not matter that a tribe has given its permission to a school because no one should be able to give anyone else permission to use a "racist" nickname. (oops got on the soapbox). 

The "Will of the people" is not developed inside a vacuum.  It is impacted by factors and consequences, both positive and negative.  The idea that people should vote one way or another based only how the issue makes them feel makes for really bad policy.  

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

That's because they got their way and their tender feelings aren't hurt anymore. I wonder if they've come out of their safe spaces yet because it is alright to do that now.......I think

I totally agree with you.  Now it's the other side who is playing the SJW role of snowflake it would seem.

• Upvote 2

Yes, it may have been the right decision at the time and under the circumstances, but it still stings that it happened.

Also would have preferred not having the best nickname in athletics replaced by such a bland, generic adjective/bird one like almost every other former Native American nicknamed school has done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

Yes, it may have been the right decision at the time and under the circumstances, but it still stings that it happened.

Also would have preferred not having the best nickname in athletics replaced by such a bland, generic adjective/bird one like almost every other former Native American nicknamed school has done.

We could be called the copy cats.

Funny how Fighting Sioux is still mentioned as much if not more by media covering us at tournament time & that Sioux apperal is still worn & Sioux chants & team cheers are still as popular as ever 

Sioux Forever is as popular as ever & I'm proud of that 

GO SIOUX !

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Funny how Fighting Sioux is still mentioned as much if not more by media covering us at tournament time & that Sioux apperal is still worn & Sioux chants & team cheers are still as popular as ever 

GO SIOUX !

You must have only watched the hockey tournaments. March Madness was all about the Fighting Hawks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Fetch said:

GO SIOUX !

Carful, you're going to offend and upset someone, but I'm 1000% with you!!!!!!!!

GO SIOUX!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Funny how Fighting Sioux is still mentioned as much if not more by media covering us at tournament time

Lot of air time for talking heads to fill, and ND just isn't that interesting.  Kind of like everyone still associating downtown Dallas with JFK, or NYC with 9/11.  It will forever be a conversation starter/ice breaker, sure, but only as a historical point of reference or trivia soundbite.  Doesn't mean what I think you think it means.

11 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Maybe there wouldn't be such a "division" if some people didn't constantly start new threads to keep on beating the same dead horse. 

Purpose of the thread was to reflect on a point in UND history and reflect on what has transpired since.  The division of some fans is always going to be there whether a thread on a fan website was started or not. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Purpose of the thread was to reflect on a point in UND history and reflect on what has transpired since.  The division of some fans is always going to be there whether a thread on a fan website was started or not. 

Purpose of the thread was to stir the pot. Again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

Purpose of the thread was to stir the pot. Again.

Or just a friendly reminder that it's been 5 years since the name has been retired and maybe it's time to move on! :)  Threads about the nickname being retired aren't dividing the fanbase.  It's the "Siouxforever" crowd that is hurting the fanbase.  If that is "stiring the pot" and you are offended by being blamed for the division, maybe you should do something about it!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

ncaa needs to go away they have become a defactO parasite that only exists to save their jobs but when college academia is basically the same type of scavenger they love each other - America needs to take back many things that have become tainted by their kind

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

ncaa needs to go away they have become a defactO parasite that only exists to save their jobs but when college academia is basically the same type of scavenger they love each other - America needs to take back many things that have become tainted by their kind

We all agree the NCAA are a bunch of money hungry, hypocrites. I don't see them going away. $$$$