SiouxSports.com Forum

UND / Learfield / iHeart radio deal extended

The Sicatoka

University of North Dakota Athletics and Learfield's UND Sports Properties announced today a five-year extension with iHeartMedia Grand Forks to continue broadcasting UND Athletics events on-air.

Fighting Hawks fans in the Grand Forks market will be able to continue listening to and supporting their favorite team on iHeartMedia's 96.1 The Fox, 100.3 Cat Country and 1440 The FAN.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=211601005

• Upvote 1

Meh......

I've said this before but I'll say it again.  I would really like to see UND partner with KNOX/Leighton.  KNOX actually has local talk radio programing with local hosts for 12 hours a day.  They rarely talk UND sports now because that would basically be advertising for their competition.  If they were the flagship, we'd most likely actually hear some UND talk on the radio during the day.  Hennessy's morning show is all we get now, and you can't hear that once you get past Northwood.  KNOX reaches past Devils Lake, Jamestown, Wahpeton, Thief River, etc. during the day.  Missing out on a lot of exposure here IMO.

A 5 year deal is surprising to me too.  Not sure how it will affect the GF stations, but iHeart will likely be filing for bankruptcy within a year.

• Upvote 3

On 5/22/2017 at 7:42 PM, bincitysioux said:

Meh......

I've said this before but I'll say it again.  I would really like to see UND partner with KNOX/Leighton.  KNOX actually has local talk radio programing with local hosts for 12 hours a day.  They rarely talk UND sports now because that would basically be advertising for their competition.  If they were the flagship, we'd most likely actually hear some UND talk on the radio during the day.  Hennessy's morning show is all we get now, and you can't hear that once you get past Northwood.  KNOX reaches past Devils Lake, Jamestown, Wahpeton, Thief River, etc. during the day.  Missing out on a lot of exposure here IMO.

A 5 year deal is surprising to me too.  Not sure how it will affect the GF stations, but iHeart will likely be filing for bankruptcy within a year.

Would Tim Hennessy switch radio stations again to still be able to do the play by play?