Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
jimdahl

Server change tonight

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

I think something with just North Dakota is best. As said previously, Hawks is generic, and all of the available names related sound kinda dumb. It would appeal (or at least not appall) fans of the Hawks name, Fans of no nickname (kinda me), fence sitters  (also me), and also the militant Sioux forever type (me to a lesser extent).

I almost went undfans.com during the transition, but never got my act together. Now I feel like I should go Hawks, the name seems to be sticking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jimdahl said:

I almost went undfans.com during the transition, but never got my act together. Now I feel like I should go Hawks, the name seems to be sticking.

It is sticking, for better or for worse (a bit less so with hockey fans) but all the proposed Hawks names sound kind dumb IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

It is sticking, for better or for worse (a bit less so with hockey fans) but all the proposed Hawks names sound kind dumb IMO.

Yep, hawks is tough to work with. No doubt about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 3:20 PM, jimdahl said:

After testing the waters 2 years ago (and reserving quite a few candidates), then debating with a few different groups of friends and supporters last Fall, I was actually just pondering a site name change this Summer.

The problem still is that Hawks is such a common team name that all the really obvious Hawks-based domain names are in use. As a prize for reading an obscure thread in the admin forum, I'll let you in on some leading candidates...

ndhawktalk.com was a leading favorite a couple years ago among people who wanted a more generic ND/UND association, and liked the rhyme. The primary complaint is that it's awkward to say (4 syllables). 

hawksperch.com is emerging this year as a leader among people who want a short, memorable name. The only real complaints about this one are that perch is sort of a funny word (and, sometimes, a fish).

I have a dozen or so other candidates that most deem inferior to those two (e.g. once you get "fighting" in there, they become pretty unwieldy).

UNDHawks Nest.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

 

Maybe a committee can be formed to narrow the list down 3 to 4 times before we have 3 votes to decide the nickname? ;)

Can we change the rules halfway through if two names are close enough in the voting? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If our most popular sport still doesn't embrace the nickname, center ice won't have the logo but instead have north dakota hockey text, the Sioux shop sells more "north dakota hockey" text on merchandise than the logo and the coach and players wear clothes that say north dakota hockey (again no logo), I think it would be a mistake to rename sioux sports with that name.  IF you feel like the website name is outdated and needs to be changed (which I don't because the majority of the hardcore fans call UND  the Sioux and this is a website for the hardcore fans), please have the name do something with north dakota or und (or both)

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2017 at 7:08 PM, fightingsioux08 said:

If our most popular sport still doesn't embrace the nickname, center ice won't have the logo but instead have north dakota hockey text, the Sioux shop sells more "north dakota hockey" text on merchandise than the logo and the coach and players wear clothes that say north dakota hockey (again no logo), I think it would be a mistake to rename sioux sports with that name.  IF you feel like the website name is outdated and needs to be changed (which I don't because the majority of the hardcore fans call UND  the Sioux and this is a website for the hardcore fans), please have the name do something with north dakota or und (or both)

Sidenote, but this is one thing that I really hate hearing.  Continuing to call UND the "Sioux" and choosing not accept anything Fighting Hawks does not make you a more hardcore fan than anyone else.  We were all Sioux fans once.  Accepting the Fighting Hawks name does not make of any less of a fan.

That being said, Changing the name of siouxsports.com is not going to diminish this wbsite and make it not as popular.  It will always be a great place for UND fans to discuss everything UND sports related.  

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sidenote, but this is one thing that I really hate hearing.  Continuing to call UND the "Sioux" and choosing not accept anything Fighting Hawks does not make you a more hardcore fan than anyone else.  We were all Sioux fans once.  Accepting the Fighting Hawks name does not make of any less of a fan.

That being said, Changing the name of siouxsports.com is not going to diminish this wbsite and make it not as popular.  It will always be a great place for UND fans to discuss everything UND sports related.  

That's a good point, but I don't think they need to change the name. SS.com is fine.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sidenote, but this is one thing that I really hate hearing.  Continuing to call UND the "Sioux" and choosing not accept anything Fighting Hawks does not make you a more hardcore fan than anyone else.  We were all Sioux fans once.  Accepting the Fighting Hawks name does not make of any less of a fan.

That being said, Changing the name of siouxsports.com is not going to diminish this wbsite and make it not as popular.  It will always be a great place for UND fans to discuss everything UND sports related.  

You can probably tell my opinion from my username...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

That's a good point, but I don't think they need to change the name. SS.com is fine.

I'm fine either way. If Jim wants to change it go ahead, if not it would be "historical", like the Sioux logos at the REA.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I'm fine either way. If Jim wants to change it go ahead, if not it would be "historical", like the Sioux logos at the REA.

Yeah, I'm just worried that there might be a shortage of "historical" type stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×