SiouxSports.com Forum

Server change tonight

jimdahl

I'm cutting siouxsports.com, including the forum, over to a new server tonight. The transition is gradual over the course of up to a day or so, so there could be some weirdness as some people are on the old one and some on the new one. I'll keep an eye on things and hopefully all will be well.

• Upvote 2

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, jimdahl said:

I'm cutting siouxsports.com, including the forum, over to a new server tonight. The transition is gradual over the course of up to a day or so, so there could be some weirdness as some people are on the old one and some on the new one. I'll keep an eye on things and hopefully all will be well.

I have been trying to make some updates to Wiki but I can't do so and continue to get the below message.  Could this be due to the new server?  Any suggested? 

Writing /www/siouxsports.com/wiki/data/cache/8/8f6be5fe88eccf99229b173a0edaa085.metadata failed

On 5/13/2017 at 0:32 PM, UND Fan said:

I have been trying to make some updates to Wiki but I can't do so and continue to get the below message.  Could this be due to the new server?  Any suggested? 

Writing /www/siouxsports.com/wiki/data/cache/8/8f6be5fe88eccf99229b173a0edaa085.metadata failed

Probably. I made a permissions change, try again please.

19 hours ago, jimdahl said:

Probably. I made a permissions change, try again please.

I can now update the Wiki front page but when I go to the specific page ( 2018 FB Recruiting, for example), the third tab is "Show Pagesource" rather than "Edit This Page".  It won't let me do anything.  Thanks for looking into this!

5 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I can now update the Wiki front page but when I go to the specific page ( 2018 FB Recruiting, for example), the third tab is "Show Pagesource" rather than "Edit This Page".  It won't let me do anything.  Thanks for looking into this!

I see. Ok, I've got that working now, too. Let me know of anything else!

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Cratter said:

Saw the new design and my first thought was "is it still SS?"

Jim going to buy some domain names and put it to a vote so we can at least get that one right? :lol:

would be funny if there was a vote and www.undruffriderz.com won

After testing the waters 2 years ago (and reserving quite a few candidates), then debating with a few different groups of friends and supporters last Fall, I was actually just pondering a site name change this Summer.

The problem still is that Hawks is such a common team name that all the really obvious Hawks-based domain names are in use. As a prize for reading an obscure thread in the admin forum, I'll let you in on some leading candidates...

ndhawktalk.com was a leading favorite a couple years ago among people who wanted a more generic ND/UND association, and liked the rhyme. The primary complaint is that it's awkward to say (4 syllables). 

hawksperch.com is emerging this year as a leader among people who want a short, memorable name. The only real complaints about this one are that perch is sort of a funny word (and, sometimes, a fish).

I have a dozen or so other candidates that most deem inferior to those two (e.g. once you get "fighting" in there, they become pretty unwieldy).

15 minutes ago, jimdahl said:

After testing the waters 2 years ago (and reserving quite a few candidates), then debating with a few different groups of friends and supporters last Fall, I was actually just pondering a site name change this Summer.

The problem still is that Hawks is such a common team name that all the really obvious Hawks-based domain names are in use. As a prize for reading an obscure thread in the admin forum, I'll let you in on some leading candidates...

ndhawktalk.com was a leading favorite a couple years ago among people who wanted a more generic ND/UND association, and liked the rhyme. The primary complaint is that it's hawkward to say (4 syllables). 

hawksperch.com is emerging this year as a leader among people who want a short, memorable name. The only real complaints about this one are that perch is sort of a funny word (and, sometimes, a fish).

I have a dozen or so other candidates that most deem inferior to those two (e.g. once you get "fighting" in there, they become pretty unwieldy).

FYP

On 7/29/2017 at 7:31 PM, Cratter said:

Saw the new design and my first thought was "is it still SS?"

Jim going to buy some domain names and put it to a vote so we can at least get that one right? :lol:

Maybe a committee can be formed to narrow the list down 3 to 4 times before we have 3 votes to decide the nickname? ;)

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, jimdahl said:

ndhawktalk.com was a leading favorite a couple years ago among people who wanted a more generic ND/UND association, and liked the rhyme. The primary complaint is that it's awkward to say (4 syllables). 

Current name is fine with me.

23 minutes ago, southpaw said:

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Maybe a committee can be formed to narrow the list down 3 to 4 times before we have 3 votes to decide the nickname? ;)

10 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Current name is fine with me.

http://thewebsiteformerlyknownassiouxsportsdotcomebecausewecantdecidebetweenjustnorthdakotaandsundogsdotcomandsomefolksstillcantbuyintothenewnicknamefightinghawksdotcomsoImjustpickingthisandrollingwithitasacompromise.com

27 minutes ago, jimdahl said:

hawksnest.com

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 7/31/2017 at 4:40 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

I've joked about how if I held a vote, I'd still just do whatever I want (just like the nickname process!)

I think something with just North Dakota is best. As said previously, Hawks is generic, and all of the available names related sound kinda dumb. It would appeal (or at least not appall) fans of the Hawks name, Fans of no nickname (kinda me), fence sitters  (also me), and also the militant Sioux forever type (me to a lesser extent).

14 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

How about UNDFightingHawks.com or UNDHawks.com or UNDFightingHawksSports.com or UNDFH.com

Don't believe I've managed to snag any of those. I have some close--undhawksfans, undhawksports, undhawkstalk.

Believe me, I've been testing these names on people for years. No one agrees, which is why I still haven't done anything.

• Upvote 1