SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Falls Regional -- Yes!

cowboys5xsbs

15 hours ago, Dustin said:

Would be great if something like this could/would work.  I've long felt that the #1 seeds should be able to host the regionals, but realize there are only 5 days between finding out if you're a #1 seed and needing to play a game at your arena.  That probably works fine for certain arenas, but not so great for others.

That's the killer^^^.

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Don't get lost in trivial details that can be negotiated later. "6000" is a number; so is "5000" or "5500". 

Does the concept make sense. If so, ... the NCAA will never go for it. ;) 

Concept sort of makes sense, except for 2 issues: 1) See above. There really isn't enough time to plan and execute.  Anyone at Scheels this spring probably noticed all the banners in the arena were covered.  The ice was repainted with new logos. The boards had a new face on them. etc. etc.  That gets pretty crazy if your arena is one waiting on the 4 - 6 seeds to be settled.  2) For teams needing an off-site arena (due to size, or whatever it may be) these arenas do more than just college hockey.  You can't hold every arena schedule empty until the middle of January or later "just in case."  Plus, most of the staff is part-time.  Can you imagine having to run a regional if you're missing 1/3 of your staff?

Obviously, some arenas would have a bigger issue than others:  AZ's arena probably books everything as normal, at least at this point in the program's development.  But think about the Harvard, Western Michigan, and even (groan) UMN arenas this spring - all 3 waiting for that last weekend before to find out if they're going to have to race the clock, or just be done for the season. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Obviously, some arenas would have a bigger issue than others:  AZ's arena probably books everything as normal, at least at this point in the program's development.  But think about the Harvard, Western Michigan, and even (groan) UMN arenas this spring - all 3 waiting for that last weekend before to find out if they're going to have to race the clock, or just be done for the season. 

Undeniably you are thinking about and understand the concept. That's what I'm looking for, 'cause thinkin' is good! :)

What this may drive is regional teams to band together and pick the regional sites that make most sense to them ... and not some NCAA committee. And gee, that might actually fill out all the sites. And, as some speculated, a conference may declare together. By the time the "banding together" is done you may end up with only 7-9 possible sites at the start of the season and only 4 ultimately used. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Undeniably you are thinking about and understand the concept. That's what I'm looking for, 'cause thinkin' is good! :)

What this may drive is regional teams to band together and pick the regional sites that make most sense to them ... and not some NCAA committee. And gee, that might actually fill out all the sites. And, as some speculated, a conference may declare together. By the time the "banding together" is done you may end up with only 7-9 possible sites at the start of the season and only 4 ultimately used. 

That kind of approach, I could get on board with.  I'd be interested in what would happen for backup sites.  Think if Denver and Duluth would have worked together on a site this year (maybe agreed to pick Sioux Falls, or whatever).  Who is the host, and which other site becomes the 4th regional?  You could use pairwise for hosting, but that doesn't make a correction for tickets sold to the other fan base (yes, I know it's a dream that those two buy tickets) and you have #1 and #2 in one regional, or you move #2 and now fans have to make travel arrangements and that backup regional arena has to get ready to host, on very short notice.  That could possibly be overcome, just with some backlash, but it could go bigger - throw UND, the Clowns, and UNO into a collaboration, and somehow they finish 1, 2, 3 in the standings.  Or BC, BU, and Harvard for you east coast bias folks ;) 

The idea of 2 "Super Regionals" has always intrigued me.  Have 2 regions, East and West.  Host arenas will be good size arena's, maybe even NHL arenas if need be.  8 teams would be in each region of course.  Basically combine 2 regions into one , have 2 groups per region with the following schedule:

WEST REGION

Group A

#1 v #4 - Thursday afternoon                          Group A Championship - Saturday

#2 v #3 - Thursday evening

Group B

#1 v #4 - Friday afternoon                               Group B Championship - Sunday

#2 v #3 - Friday evening

EAST REGION

Group A

#1 v #4 - Thursday afternoon                          Group A Championship - Saturday

Group B

#1 v #4 - Friday afternoon                               Group B Championship - Sunday

#2 v #3 - Friday evening

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The idea of 2 "Super Regionals" has always intrigued me.  Have 2 regions, East and West.  Host arenas will be good size arena's, maybe even NHL arenas if need be.  8 teams would be in each region of course.  Basically combine 2 regions into one , have 2 groups per region with the following schedule:

WEST REGION

Group A

Group B

#2 v #3 - Friday evening

EAST REGION

Group A

Group B

#2 v #3 - Friday evening

The concept is good but the schedule doesn't work well.  Fans traveling to the regional would have a commitment for at least three nights in a hotel, possibly four.  It would be very expensive for attendance.  Would have to condense it down to a two day event such as Friday/Saturday or many fans will not attend due to cost.  Also, the team costs would be pretty high (hotel/food) having to be in town that many days.  Group A teams would need to be in town by Wednesday for practice time and two teams wouldn't leave until late Saturday night or Sunday.  Otherwise, the basic concept is good.  The final consideration is that realistically how many fans are going to try to arrange tickets/travel in possibly as little as three days/four days to get to a regional.  Fans from eight teams suddenly trying to book flights?  So many issues, so little time.

15 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

The concept is good but the schedule doesn't work well.  Fans traveling to the regional would have a commitment for at least three nights in a hotel, possibly four.  It would be very expensive for attendance.  Would have to condense it down to a two day event such as Friday/Saturday or many fans will not attend due to cost.  Also, the team costs would be pretty high (hotel/food) having to be in town that many days.  Group A teams would need to be in town by Wednesday for practice time and two teams wouldn't leave until late Saturday night or Sunday.  Otherwise, the basic concept is good.  The final consideration is that realistically how many fans are going to try to arrange tickets/travel in possibly as little as three days/four days to get to a regional.  Fans from eight teams suddenly trying to book flights?  So many issues, so little time.

I get what you are saying.  But if you kept the schedule the same and just put it into two regionals, you would have to play 4 games the first day, 6 games the second day, and 2 games the 3rd day.  I realize that it requires additional days for teams/fans to be at the regional, but it is similar to the Frozen 4.  It could also be an alternative to going to the Frozen Four as ticket would maybe be easier to get and you have the opportunity to see more teams and games.  * teams/fans booking flights to a location could be an issue.  But that is why you would have the regionals in major markets that have the capability of handling that.

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I get what you are saying.  But if you kept the schedule the same and just put it into two regionals, you would have to play 4 games the first day, 6 games the second day, and 2 games the 3rd day.  I realize that it requires additional days for teams/fans to be at the regional, but it is similar to the Frozen 4.  It could also be an alternative to going to the Frozen Four as ticket would maybe be easier to get and you have the opportunity to see more teams and games.  * teams/fans booking flights to a location could be an issue.  But that is why you would have the regionals in major markets that have the capability of handling that.

Simplle.  Very similar to game times this year.

WEST REGION

Group A

#1 v #4 - Friday 1PM                          Group A Championship - Saturday 8:30PM

#2 v #3 - Friday 4:30PM

Group B

#1 v #4 - Saturday Noon                             Group B Championship - Sunday 5pm

#2 v #3 - Saturaday 3:30pm

EAST REGION

Group A

#1 v #4 - Friday 3PM                          Group A Championship - Saturay 6pm

#2 v #3 - Friday 6:30PM

Group B

#1 v #4 - Saturaday 11am                           Group B Championship - Sunday 2:30pm

#2 v #3 - Saturday 2:30 PM

• Upvote 2

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Might be a little bump if it goes back to the X, I just assume the NCHC is going to stick with the Target Center bc of all the updates they're doing and cheaper rent.

I think the writing is on the wall for the TC hosting the NCHC frozen faceoff.  The 2021 NCAA basketball regional will be at the TC, which is always the same weekend as the FF.  Look for some good news about moving back to the X in the near future.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Big Green said:

Simplle.  Very similar to game times this year.

WEST REGION

Group A

#1 v #4 - Friday 1PM                          Group A Championship - Saturday 8:30PM

#2 v #3 - Friday 4:30PM

Group B

#1 v #4 - Saturday Noon                             Group B Championship - Sunday 5pm

#2 v #3 - Saturaday 3:30pm

EAST REGION

Group A

#1 v #4 - Friday 3PM                          Group A Championship - Saturay 6pm

#2 v #3 - Friday 6:30PM

Group B

#1 v #4 - Saturaday 11am                           Group B Championship - Sunday 2:30pm

#2 v #3 - Saturday 2:30 PM

There you go.  I like it!!  

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, goyotes said:

In addition to Sioux Falls hosting the west regional at the Premier Center on March 23-24, 2018, they are also hosting  both the men and womens NCAA D2 basketball Elite Eight at the Sanford Pentagon on March 19-24, 2018.  Might want to get your motel rooms early.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

• 1 month later...

Sheraton Sioux Falls Convention Center & Ramada Sioux Falls Airport Hotel & Suites are both located right next to the Denny Sanford Premier Center which is where the arena housed (off Russell Street and West Ave). The Premier Center is not far off of I29.  There are many other hotels off I29 at the 26th Street exit as well as I29 at the 41st Street. 

• 2 months later...

Presale has already been going on for last week, today they opened remaining tickets back up to all NDCC members to buy unlimited tickets when previous days they were restricted. This presale date runs through the 10th. 

According to the NDCC website, public on-sale info follows:

General Public On-Sale: Remaining unsold tickets will be made available to the general public (including NDCC members and all others) on Thursday, December 7, 2017.

No Secondary Markets / No Scalping: Our intent with this exclusive NDCC pre-sale is to make sure that the best seats go to the best fans at the lowest possible price! This does not prevent NDCC members from buying tickets for their friends, family members or others, but it does mean that we do seek to eliminate ticket scalping. We’re giving you a break on these tickets and would ask you not to sell them for profit.

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

So.... they didn't sell as many as they thought they would eh?

I’m not sure what they thought they would sell considering it’s a lot farther away in a bigger venue, but selfishly I just need tickets to still be available for the general public on sale. :) It’s my Birthday weekend so I’m treating myself to some tickets... 

3 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’m not sure what they thought they would sell considering it’s a lot farther away in a bigger venue, but selfishly I just need tickets to still be available for the general public on sale. :) It’s my Birthday weekend so I’m treating myself to some tickets... 

They will be a lot are available when I logged in. 

31 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I'm leaving that weekend open. Going to the X the weekend before and maybe planning on going back to the X two weeks after. I have only been to one regional, that was the holy Cross weekend!

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

I was hesitant to buy them early because it is a lot bigger arena than Scheels, and I think other people are taking a wait and see attitude, knowing there would be seats available once they know UND will get in the tournament.  I bought some good seats anyway, hoping I could sell prime seats should UND not make it there.

My best case: I'll use the four I bought.
My worst case: I'll give them to some of my "south of the border*" friends who'll always take an excuse to go to Hawks** Falls. 

*Anyone below the Seventh Standard Parallel as defined here.

**Clearly the NCAA by now has renamed the host city "Hawks" Falls because they'd never allow "the forbidden S word" to invade or be associated with their precious events. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes I got mine without many problems in premium seating. I actually love the atmosphere of the regionals, likely my favorite weekend (minus the no beer...ncaa rules). Last year was insane to say the least. Hopefully this year they realize was an onsides is. I'm in section 105, hopefully the Sioux get a high seed. Looks like most of the lower bowl is sold out, upper is pretty much wide open. I am sure once the other 3 teams get selected it will go fast. Need to keep on piling up the winds especially this weekend would be huge! #hang9 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Any ideas where school allotment tickets are located, as well as the band sections?  I have tickets in section 122 (behind the goal where there's no upper deck).  I'm hoping we don't get stuck right next to the tuba player of an opposing team.