Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cowboys5xsbs

Sioux Falls Regional -- Yes!

Recommended Posts

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

That's a pretty big roll of the dice.
Concordia could put in a bid to host in the Moorhead Youth Arena and by policy the NCAA would take that over UND@REA in a two-bid situation. 

So it sounds like others bid to host in their home rink.  Guess UND did what they should do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cberkas   
7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

How bad were the 2018 and 2019 West and Midwest bids if the same two schools host both (and one of them in the same arena twice!). 

All I can figure is the rest of the B1G deferred to PSU. 

But the rest? I'm confused. 

 

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Did anyone put in a bid west of Allentown, PA other than UND?!!

Only Fargo, Sioux Falls and Allentown bid for the West and Midwest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cberkas   
3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm surprised that didn't get one of the two years. 

Didn't put in for a regional, NCAA night still think it's Omaha's home arena, so no regional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crb1   

Not a fan of the Sioux Falls regional. I am sure others will like it but I have no desire to go to Sioux Falls South Dakota.

REA should have regionals and if they can't then Fargo is the next best thing.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cberkas   

There needs to be a rule for hosting regionals, if a team hasn't been in the NCAAs since 1990 they cannot host a regional. If a regional doesn't have an average attendance for the weekend of 10,000 to 15,000 (scanned tickets). Then that site shouldn't be able to host a regional again. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the people that still think that UND should have "stuck it to the NCAA" and kept the Fighting Sioux name, know this:  Had UND kept the Sioux name, they would not be have been awarded the chance to host any postseason championships, which included hosting at off campus sites like in Fargo and Sioux Falls.  So for that reason alone it was unfortunately necessary to drop the name.

(Not meaning to drift this thread into a nickname controversy, but just noting the importance of being able to host NCAA tournament games, especially in hockey).

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cberkas said:

There needs to be a rule for hosting regionals, if a team hasn't been in the NCAAs since 1990 they cannot host a regional. If a regional doesn't have an average attendance for the weekend of 10,000 to 15,000 (scanned tickets). Then that site shouldn't be able to host a regional again. 

Yeah... considering there were just a total of 0 bids off campus in the next 2 years I don't think the NCAA is going to start putting up more roadblocks to schools submitting bids.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Not a fan of the Sioux Falls regional. I am sure others will like it but I have no desire to go to Sioux Falls South Dakota.

REA should have regionals and if they can't then Fargo is the next best thing.

And there is the flaw in your argument

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Trunk Monkey said:

Great choice.  I think people will be surprised at how nice a community Sioux Falls is, great restaurants and bars and a real passion for hockey.

The SF Stampede is setting records for USHL attendance.  They average 6300 for this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cberkas   
8 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah... considering there were just a total of 0 bids off campus in the next 2 years I don't think the NCAA is going to start putting up more roadblocks to schools submitting bids.

Brown shouldn't be able to host in Providence, Providence should be hosting there is what I was getting at (Yes, I know Brown is in Providence). 

I rather have a team host a regional in their building if that means there will be a crowd. These empty regionals are not good for the sport.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UNDBIZ   
27 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Brown shouldn't be able to host in Providence, Providence should be hosting there is what I was getting at (Yes, I know Brown is in Providence). 

I rather have a team host a regional in their building if that means there will be a crowd. These empty regionals are not good for the sport.

History indicates if Providence makes the tournament, they'll be placed in Providence whether they're the host school or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Brown shouldn't be able to host in Providence, Providence should be hosting there is what I was getting at (Yes, I know Brown is in Providence). 

I rather have a team host a regional in their building if that means there will be a crowd. These empty regionals are not good for the sport.

Completely agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be interested to see how ticket sales are for this.  I'm not sold on the fact that this will be a tough ticket to get.  With Frozen Faceoff in Mpls the weekend before and frozen four in St Paul 2 weeks after.  I’m not sure how many people are going to be excited to travel down for this.  Without a guarantee of UND making the NCAA tournament I know I won’t be purchasing until I’m positive UND will be there.  If I don't get tickets so be it.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Green said:

I'll be interested to see how ticket sales are for this.  I'm not sold on the fact that this will be a tough ticket to get.  With Frozen Faceoff in Mpls the weekend before and frozen four in St Paul 2 weeks after.  I’m not sure how many people are going to be excited to travel down for this.  Without a guarantee of UND making the NCAA tournament I know I won’t be purchasing until I’m positive UND will be there.  If I don't get tickets so be it.

Really good point here, I think it's almost a forgone conclusion that this will be the worst attended Frozen Faceoff to date.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2018 Regionals: 

Host UND to its host site "Hawks" Falls -- 320 miles

MW regional (Allentown) to NE regional (Worcester) -- 275 miles*

 

*Bridgeport, East regional, is on the road between the two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tnt   
39 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I'll be interested to see how ticket sales are for this.  I'm not sold on the fact that this will be a tough ticket to get.  With Frozen Faceoff in Mpls the weekend before and frozen four in St Paul 2 weeks after.  I’m not sure how many people are going to be excited to travel down for this.  Without a guarantee of UND making the NCAA tournament I know I won’t be purchasing until I’m positive UND will be there.  If I don't get tickets so be it.

That's the nice thing about it from the fans perspective, they don't have to buy until they know they are in.  Of course they really might take a hit if UND doesn't make it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×