SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Ray77

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Just tuned into the game...12:00 left in the 3rd. I saw a highlight of Crosby getting hit by Niskanen in the 1st. Has he played since that hit? Also...complete BS that they changed that penalty from a 2:00 to a 5:00.

No he hasn't.

Ovi should ask to be traded if they lose this series.

Shooting the puck around the boards to get a clear didn't work the other time so do it again instead of going up the the side your on.

9 minutes ago, cberkas said:

No he hasn't.

Ovi should ask to be traded if they lose this series.

Shooting the puck around the boards to get a clear didn't work the other time so do it again instead of going up the the side your on.

Pretty blatant interference the refs missed on Malkin before the tying goal. Then again it's the Pens. 

3 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Pretty blatant interference the refs missed on Malkin before the tying goal. Then again it's the Pens. 

The ref looked right at the play and let it go.

Ridiculous, you have to call that. It prevented a clear.

3 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Kunitz breaks his stick on a cross check to the back earlier in the 3rd no call too.

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

There's a hilarious fake tweet out there about Niskanen's hit on Crosby.

Niskanen is given a 6,000 game suspension and Gary Bettman is really mad and just canceled his Dave & Busters reservation tonight.

That's good stuff!  However, in reality, Niskanen should be given a 0 game suspension, and a $0 fine, and they should apologize to him for giving him a 5 and a game last night.  That should have been a 2:00 minor.

I watched some of the post game stuff and it was so predictable...Trotz was asked about the hit and (correctly) explained that it was a "hockey play" and that Crosby was coming across and Niskanen braced himself...Crosby's body position was lowering as he was falling across the crease and Niskanen didn't bring his arms up, it just so happened that he got Crosby "up high" because of how Crosby was falling and said it was unfortunate that he got hurt, you don't like to see injuries like that, etc.

On the other hand, Sullivan wasn't too pleased, he refrained from commenting on it and looked very angry, obviously thinking that it was a dirty or bad play.

I can guarantee you that if it was Ovechkin that got hit like that by Brian Doumolin, the comments would be reversed, and Sullivan would be saying it was unfortunate, but not dirty and Trotz would be pissed!

When I saw the play, I would have been OK with a 2:00 minor because Niskanen got him up high, but there was absolutely no intent by Niskanen to cross check Crosby in the head.  He didn't take a run at him and cross check or elbow him in the head, it wasn't from behind, etc.  It just wasn't a "dirty" play and wasn't worth of a 5:00 major and a game.  I agree that it was unfortunate that it happened and that Crosby got injured, but I honestly think if that was the exact same scenario, only it was Patric Hornqvist that got hit and injured, that's a 2:00 minor.  You could also argue that Ovechkin should have received 2:00 for slashing Crosby, causing the whole issue.  I just think Niskanen got a raw deal.

27 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

That's good stuff!  However, in reality, Niskanen should be given a 0 game suspension, and a $0 fine, and they should apologize to him for giving him a 5 and a game last night.  That should have been a 2:00 minor.

I watched some of the post game stuff and it was so predictable...Trotz was asked about the hit and (correctly) explained that it was a "hockey play" and that Crosby was coming across and Niskanen braced himself...Crosby's body position was lowering as he was falling across the crease and Niskanen didn't bring his arms up, it just so happened that he got Crosby "up high" because of how Crosby was falling and said it was unfortunate that he got hurt, you don't like to see injuries like that, etc.

On the other hand, Sullivan wasn't too pleased, he refrained from commenting on it and looked very angry, obviously thinking that it was a dirty or bad play.

I can guarantee you that if it was Ovechkin that got hit like that by Brian Doumolin, the comments would be reversed, and Sullivan would be saying it was unfortunate, but not dirty and Trotz would be pissed!

When I saw the play, I would have been OK with a 2:00 minor because Niskanen got him up high, but there was absolutely no intent by Niskanen to cross check Crosby in the head.  He didn't take a run at him and cross check or elbow him in the head, it wasn't from behind, etc.  It just wasn't a "dirty" play and wasn't worth of a 5:00 major and a game.  I agree that it was unfortunate that it happened and that Crosby got injured, but I honestly think if that was the exact same scenario, only it was Patric Hornqvist that got hit and injured, that's a 2:00 minor.  You could also argue that Ovechkin should have received 2:00 for slashing Crosby, causing the whole issue.  I just think Niskanen got a raw deal.

I also had trouble seeing that as more than a 2:00 because of Crosby going down.  My only uncertainty is I don't know exactly how quickly an NHL player (Niskanen) can react as the situation changes (Crosby going down) and adjust in that type of sequence.  Definitely unfortunate.  And I can also see Pens fans thinking it was a dirty hit.  Nasty, yes.  Unfortunate, yes.  Deliberate, don't know.

2 hours ago, Ray77 said:

So apparently Rob Rossi is a reporter from Pittsburgh and he was the one asking Trotz the question about the play last night.  This is unbelievable...what a douche!

That's the kinda guy you'd just like to punch in the face. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Ray77 said:

So apparently Rob Rossi is a reporter from Pittsburgh and he was the one asking Trotz the question about the play last night.  This is unbelievable...what a douche!

Man that makes me want the Penguins to lose so badly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To my eyes, and admittedly with no proof beyond that:

• Ovi should've gotten at least 2 for the slash on the elbow
  • Ovi's stick didn't get Crosby on the helmet
  • Ovi's foot caught Crosby's foot and that's what threw 87 off balance
  • Niskanen did nothing but have someone off balance run face first into his stick
  • Niskanen did nothing after 87 was down in front of him (no extra cross check; no bump with a boot on the bucket skating away) <-- that's why Matt got nothing more

Watching that video, and knowing history, and given 87 was off balance and less able to protect himself, I wonder if worst of the damage didn't happen when his head hit the ice. 

• Upvote 3

I didn't see any postgame press conferences tonight, but I wonder if Rob Rossi asked Sullivan if Bonino's soccer dive on Oshie's phantom penalty was a hockey play, or if Hainsey's cross check on Williams with about 20 seconds remaining was a hockey play?

The Penguins "holier than thou" schtick is starting to get old...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1