SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Ray77

The real question is how strong is Dav...errr..Roosevelt's man-crush on Fleury compared to his love for his favorite team?  When the Penguins have to trade Fleury so they can protect Murray in the expansion draft, will his Fleury love trump his Penguins love and he'll now be a fan of the new team that Fleury ends up on?  Or will he still be a Penguins fan all the while hating Murray and Sullivan and I suppose by that time Jim Rutherford as well?

• Upvote 2

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ray77 said:

The real question is how strong is Dav...errr..Roosevelt's man-crush on Fleury compared to his love for his favorite team?  When the Penguins have to trade Fleury so they can protect Murray in the expansion draft, will his Fleury love trump his Penguins love and he'll now be a fan of the new team that Fleury ends up on?  Or will he still be a Penguins fan all the while hating Murray and Sullivan and I suppose by that time Jim Rutherford as well?

STOP TALKING ABOUT THE PENGUINS NOT PROTECTING FLEURY!

UoVWnOc.gif

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

STOP TALKING ABOUT THE PENGUINS NOT PROTECTING FLEURY!

UoVWnOc.gif

LOL!!!  The interesting thing is...as it stands they HAVE to protect Fleury because he has a NTC, which means they can't protect Murray.  So, it's really going to piss off RooseDave whey they take extra measures to trade Fleury (or however they manage it) to make sure they can protect Murray, cause there's no way they want to lose him...and there's no question that if he's left unprotected that Vegas will take him.

In the 2017-18 NHL season, Marc Andre Fleury will be the starting goalie for:

a) Calgary Flames
b) Dallas Stars
c) Las Vegas Golden Knights
d) Pittsburgh Penguins
e) other Western Conference team
f) other Atlantic Division team
g) other Metro Division team

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If only that was their team name, I could live with it.  It's just the Vegas Golden Knights.  If you're going to use the city name and not the state name, use the WHOLE city name.  Can you imagine the Angeles Dodgers or the Antonio Spurs?  dumb Dumb DUMB idea.    

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

If only that was their team name, I could live with it.  It's just the Vegas Golden Knights.  If you're going to use the city name and not the state name, use the WHOLE city name.  Can you imagine the Angeles Dodgers or the Antonio Spurs?  dumb Dumb DUMB idea.    

I've seen it both ways, meaning Las and no Las. 

Either way ... the NFL's Buccaneers would like a word with you. ;):D 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

In the 2017-18 NHL season, Marc Andre Fleury will be the starting goalie for:

a) Calgary Flames
b) Dallas Stars
d) Pittsburgh Penguins
e) other Western Conference team
f) other Atlantic Division team
g) other Metro Division team

I think you can rule out B (Ben Bishop), and I think you can rule out C (reasons below) and I honestly think you can rule out D.  I don't see how the Penguins will be able to keep both Fleury and Murray, and I think Murray is the clear choice for them for many reasons (mainly age and current contract). 

It's going to be really interesting to see how Rutherford handles this after the playoffs.  Because of Fleury's modified NTC he'd have to protect him in the expansion draft.  That'd mean that he would/could lose Murray to Vegas and get nothing in return.  He could also negotiate with Vegas to not take Murray, and then give them some other kind of compensation instead, but again he's losing an asset (or assets) for nothing - or more realistically to keep both Fleury and Murray. 

I think what we'll see is that it's going to be in the Penguins best interests to work a trade for Fleury and get something in return, therefore allowing them to protect Murray.  To do this, Fleury would have to list 18 teams that he can be traded to.  That means that he could rule out someone like Calgary if he didn't want to play there. The only way Vegas would get Fleury is if he OK'd it, and Vegas was on his "18 team list" (cause they can't select him in the expansion draft).  Heck, maybe that's what happens - Fleury OK's to waive the NTC (or puts Vegas on his list) and Vegas does end up with him.

I'm guessing that Rutherford works a deal to trade Fleury to another team before the expansion draft to get assets in return and protects Murray.  In that case, I'll go with Option A, E, F or G above, and probably cross off G as they won't want him in the same division, leaving us with A, E or F.

28 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

LOL!!!  The interesting thing is...as it stands they HAVE to protect Fleury because he has a NTC, which means they can't protect Murray.  So, it's really going to piss off RooseDave whey they take extra measures to trade Fleury (or however they manage it) to make sure they can protect Murray, cause there's no way they want to lose him...and there's no question that if he's left unprotected that Vegas will take him.

The Penguins cease to exist at that point in time, it's quite simple really.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, snova4 said:

There were a lot of missed calls, or just let them play calls last night. The pens had some inadvertent high sticks that could have been called, and Rowney had a pretty clear slash, the Senators had A LOT of interference that wasn't called. But the refs did call probably the weakest one they had on Phaneuf.

The first slash called on the Pens was as weak as it gets. It was a love tap at best. 

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've seen it both ways, meaning Las and no Las. 

Either way ... the NFL's Buccaneers would like a word with you. ;):D 

I'll allow the Tampa Bay Buccaneers simply because the creamsicle uniforms are AWESOME.  The Carolina Panthers...nope.  

1 hour ago, Roosevelt83 said:

People get way too excited about things that are shiny and new, but they fail to comprehend that just because something is shiny and new doesn't mean it's going to be reliable in the long run. Yeah, Fleury gets paid more than Murray but guess what... you get what you pay for. If they want a goalie that can consistently win only when the team outshoots the opponents then by all means stick with Murray, but if they want a goalie that can frequently steal wins even when the team is outshot Fleury is clearly the better option. Time will tell what happens, but I fear MAF will be gone thanks to the man crush that Sullivan has on Murray. 

fleuryLOL_medium.giftrgNGDn_medium.gif

Can we PLEASE take a look at MAF's playoff stats since winning the Stanley Cup in 2009?

2010:  339 shots on goal, 302 saves.  That's a .891 save percentage.

2011:  168 shots on goal, 151 saves.  .899 save percentage if you're scoring at home.

2012:  157 shots on goal, 131 saves.  Good heavens, .834.  that's brutal.  

2013:  145 shots against, 128 saves.  .883.  And that's rounded up.

2014:  378 shots against, 346 saves.  .915.

2015:  150 shots against, 139 saves.  .927.  

So, keep on riding the coat-tails of the 2009 Stanley Cup, DaveK Roosevelt83, but the numbers don't lie.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Roosevelt83 said:

Let's stop living in the past. In 2017 Fleury led the Penguins to a series win over the President's Trophy winning Capitals in spite of being outshot in literally every game by an average of about 10 shots per game. That alone shows how great he is right now even if his productivity was less than that half a decade ago.

That's 1 year out of 7. That constitutes a fluke...an aberration. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Roosevelt83 said:

Murray leaving Pittsburgh would be the best thing to happen to the Penguins franchise since the day they drafted Super Mario because, mark my words, Murray's career is going to follow the same path that Jim Carey's did for Washington back in the mid '90s. People get way too excited about things that are shiny and new, but they fail to comprehend that just because something is shiny and new doesn't mean it's going to be reliable in the long run. Yeah, Fleury gets paid more than Murray but guess what... you get what you pay for. If they want a goalie that can consistently win only when the team outshoots the opponents then by all means stick with Murray, but if they want a goalie that can frequently steal wins even when the team is outshot Fleury is clearly the better option. Time will tell what happens, but I fear MAF will be gone thanks to the man crush that Sullivan has on Murray. Of all the potential destinations for my favorite player I think Winnipeg is one that I could learn to live with. I'm not so sure how realistic their chances are of acquiring his services.

Yeah, the thing about the Pen's goalie situation is, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....don't care. #davek83

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Roosevelt83 said:

Still don't want to let me in on this inside joke of yours, eh? Whoever this DaveK character is, he must have really gotten seriously way deep inside some of your heads for people to be talking about him so much.

No, he was just a jackass that made really stupid comments.  Anybody that read his comments was automatically dumber for having done so.

1 hour ago, Roosevelt83 said:

And people here lack the self control required to simply ignore stupid comments? Don't you realize you're just giving this character what he wants? It's like he set a trap and you walked right into it.

You seem to be in tune with his inner psyche:silly:

• Upvote 3