SiouxSports.com Forum

One year ago tonight.....

fightingsioux4life

It was one year ago tonight, at about this time, that we were finishing off Quinnipiac in the NCAA title game to capture our 8th NCAA title. Now, after an up and down, sometimes frustrating year, we are looking forward to the 2017-18 campaign and a continuation of the #drivefornine. I think we will have one heck of a team next season and I am counting the days, weeks and months until October! Go Fighting Hawks (Sioux)!!!

• Upvote 3

Every game in the West Regional went into OT and the winner of the regional played in the National Title game. 
Just goes to show how fine the line can be from losing the first game of the regional to playing in the title game (or National Champs).

Where one player can make a difference: Schmaltz, Jost, Boeser, Poolman, Stecher....

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It was one year ago tonight, at about this time, that we were finishing off Quinnipiac in the NCAA title game to capture our 8th NCAA title. Now, after an up and down, sometimes frustrating year, we are looking forward to the 2017-18 campaign and a continuation of the #drivefornine. I think we will have one heck of a team next season and I am counting the days, weeks and months until October! Go Fighting Hawks (Sioux)!!!

Still concerned about how young our D-men will be. I think tournament history backs up the perception that experienced D-men are really the backbone of championship caliber teams.  Not saying we don't have a shot (we always do), but at this point, I don't see the likes of Stecher and LaDue on the roster.

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Every game in the West Regional went into OT and the winner of the regional played in the National Title game. 
Just goes to show how fine the line can be from losing the first game of the regional to playing in the title game (or National Champs).

Where one player can make a difference: Schmaltz, Jost, Boeser, Poolman, Stecher....

Absolutely.  It's all about the right combination of things:  players, hot goalie, coaching adjustments, and, probably most important, some lucky breaks. One lucky break can keep your season going, and one unlucky one can end it.  Like the old saying goes, I'd rather be lucky than good.

9 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Still concerned about how young our D-men will be. I think tournament history backs up the perception that experienced D-men are really the backbone of championship caliber teams.  Not saying we don't have a shot (we always do), but at this point, I don't see the likes of Stecher and LaDue on the roster.

I thought our d-men made big strides this year. And most of them will be back next year (minus Poolman, unfortunately). We shouldn't struggle as much next year and if our freshmen can contribute offensively, we'll be just fine.

On 4/11/2017 at 9:10 AM, The Sicatoka said:

2016 is hung. 

Windshield, not mirror. 

23 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Some people are able to alternate between the two, especially when the windshield will be pretty damn boring for the next 6 months :D

19 hours ago, dagies said:

We're fans.  We're not driving, we're in the passenger seat.   We still get to experience the thrills of the ride, but we can check our looks in the mirror or even text if we want.

When looking in the reflection of 2016 in the windshield, do we like the team we see... behind us? In front of us.... sorry, I'm lost in the mirror images ;)

#punny

12 hours ago, Cratter said:

16 years in the making.

I'm going to be enjoying it for awhile.

35 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Amen to that!

I've watched the four playoff games several times and the DU game at least 7. QU game about the same. Nothing wrong with looking back on a legendary season!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

I read the title of this thread and all I can picture in my head is a Packer fan talking about the golden days of yore...

I don't think you can compare an event that happened twelve months ago to something that hasn't happened since 2011. And I don't think we will have to wait another 15 years for our next NCAA title.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't think you can compare an event that happened twelve months ago to something that hasn't happened since 2011. And I don't think we will have to wait another 15 years for our next NCAA title.

I think we are all surprised at how fast time flies.  Minnesota hasn't won a title in 14 seasons, BU 8, your oft-mentioned BC, 5.  

If the calendar rolls over to about 2021 or 2022 without adding another notch on the belt, 2016 will seem like 1916.

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2017 at 2:49 PM, dagies said:

We're fans.  We're not driving, we're in the passenger seat.   We still get to experience the thrills of the ride, but we can check our looks in the mirror or even text if we want.

...and change our clothes, our hair, our face...

• Upvote 1