SiouxSports.com Forum
cberkas

2017-2018 College Hockey (Non-UND Hockey)

11 hours ago, cberkas said:

Still more than Minnesota gets to games. :D

Well, that's because most of the players don't have any friends.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Mankato can stay right where they are at.

So assuming ASU receives an invite to join the conference, who would be the 10th team? I think we can agree that the NCHC won’t go with an odd # of teams. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

THREE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED EIGHTY THREE IN MADISON SQUARE GARDEN?  

tumblr_mi4o8xUu571qzl2lro1_500.gif

C'mon. 
Be nice.
That's way, way, WAY more fans that the BTHC draws for their entire conference tournament. 

joelouis-seats.jpg

• Upvote 1

Something tells me that Mankato likes the WCHA. In that conference they’re competing for a league regular season and playoff title every year. And a good chance at a NCAA playoff berth. In the NCHC, most seasons they’d be struggling to get home ice (this season they might be fine though) and maybe make the NCAA once every five years or more. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

THREE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED EIGHTY THREE IN MADISON SQUARE GARDEN?  

tumblr_mi4o8xUu571qzl2lro1_500.gif

I’m sure they could have found that many bums outside MSG.

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Something tells me that Mankato likes the WCHA. In that conference they’re competing for a league regular season and playoff title every year. And a good chance at a NCAA playoff berth. In the NCHC, most seasons they’d be struggling to get home ice (this season they might be fine though) and maybe make the NCAA once every five years or more. 

They do need to make sure they have money to pay Hastings.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

I’m sure they could have found that many bums outside MSG.

Probably not - Bill de Blasio and his henchmen are usually at home on the weekends.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bale31 said:

This is absolutely not true. Mankato needs to get out of the WCHA if it wants to survive. We're doing pretty well for ourselves right now, but the reality is that interest is waning. No one in Mankato gets excited for any team in the conference. Apathy will start setting in as soon as MSU has a couple down years in a row. It's just not worth it. I'm not sure the assumption that we would be struggling to get home ice on a regular basis. I think the goal would be to be in the same boat as SCSU and UMD. The resources put forth to make it a winning program is nothing like what you all remember in the old WCHA.

Yea MNSU wants out big time,  the WCHA has too many bottom feeder teams and too many long travel trips to Michigan, currently, the only good conference match-ups are BGSU, Bemidji, and Tech. Other than that none of the match-ups are really good, and none of the programs, outside of maybe Tech, seem to have ambitions of moving up in the college hockey world. Also, WCHA only does a 28 game schedule the moment, MNSU would love to get up to the 36 game schedule in the NCHC.

48 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Yea MNSU wants out big time,  the WCHA has too many bottom feeder teams and too many long travel trips to Michigan, currently, the only good conference match-ups are BGSU, Bemidji, and Tech. Other than that none of the match-ups are really good, and none of the programs, outside of maybe Tech, seem to have ambitions of moving up in the college hockey world. Also, WCHA only does a 28 game schedule the moment, MNSU would love to get up to the 36 game schedule in the NCHC.

Huh??? The NCHC only has a 24 game schedule as opposed the the WCHA's 28 game schedule. 

Aside from that, though, you're correct. The conference schedule leaves much to be desired for Maverick fans. The lack of excitement over who we're playing will catch up to us at some point in the league. I have no doubt the league will rise up (how much, I don't know) in the future, but it could potentially take 5-10 years. At that point, some of the fan bases may be lost.

9 minutes ago, bale31 said:

Huh??? The NCHC only has a 24 game schedule as opposed the the WCHA's 28 game schedule. 

Aside from that, though, you're correct. The conference schedule leaves much to be desired for Maverick fans. The lack of excitement over who we're playing will catch up to us at some point in the league. I have no doubt the league will rise up (how much, I don't know) in the future, but it could potentially take 5-10 years. At that point, some of the fan bases may be lost.

My bad with the math. However, when you add in nonconference match-ups the NCHC has 8 non-conference games compared to the 6 in the WCHA.

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

My bad with the math. However, when you add in nonconference match-ups the NCHC has 8 non-conference games compared to the 6 in the WCHA.

Haha...I was wondering.

The thing that is "supposed" to make up for that in the WCHA is the Alaska exemption which would get everyone to 8 non-conference games. Unfortunately, that doesn't figure in the fact that there are only so many weekends that you can have games. In practice, it's led to everyone only have only 6 non-conference games and leaving 2 extra games on the table. I know a lot of people here won't like it, but I'm reasonably confident that MSU ends up in the NCHC as soon as/if ASU is allowed into the conference. From what I've heard, there were a lot of very surprised people when it didn't work out two years ago. All signs pointed to MSU being allowed in, but ASU didn't have their crap together.

16 hours ago, bale31 said:

This is absolutely not true. Mankato needs to get out of the WCHA if it wants to survive. We're doing pretty well for ourselves right now, but the reality is that interest is waning. No one in Mankato gets excited for any team in the conference. Apathy will start setting in as soon as MSU has a couple down years in a row. It's just not worth it. I'm not sure the assumption that we would be struggling to get home ice on a regular basis. I think the goal would be to be in the same boat as SCSU and UMD. The resources put forth to make it a winning program is nothing like what you all remember in the old WCHA.

Home game out:  Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State.

Home games in:  UMD, St Cloud State, North Dakota.

Not hard to imagine which set of 6 home games would get the best attendance.  Mankato State to the NCHC makes sense.  Besides, I miss the easy drive down Hwy 169 twice a year to see my team play.

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Home game out:  Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State.

Home games in:  UMD, St Cloud State, North Dakota.

Not hard to imagine which set of 6 home games would get the best attendance.  Mankato State to the NCHC makes sense.  Besides, I miss the easy drive down Hwy 169 twice a year to see my team play.

Yup good all around, easy travel trip for  UND, UNO, UMD, and SCSU. For Denver and  CC it's no different than going to any of the MN schools. Blue Bricks or Pagliai's Pizza in Kato, Parrots Cay or Red Pepper in Grand Forks... Oh how I miss burgers at the Cay.

Yale and Clarkson tied 1-1

Cornell leads Harvard 1-0

UConn leads UNH 1-0

Providence and Northeastern tied 1-1

UMass leads Maine 2-1

Lowell leads BC 1-0

Duluth leads St. Cloud 1-0

BGSU leads LSSU 3-2

Ferris State leads Michigan Tech 3-2

Ohio State leads Michigan 1-0