Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cberkas

2017-2018 College Hockey (Non-UND Hockey)

348 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

Michigan Tech, to me, is the better job. Can't fault Potulny for taking NMU job when Mel was still at Tech.

I suppose you can look at it one of two ways. At Tech he would really be just trying to continue/build on the successes of Mel Pearson, at NMU he has a chance to build his own legacy and his own program mostly from scratch.

7 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I suppose you can look at it one of two ways. At Tech he would really be just trying to continue/build on the successes of Mel Pearson, at NMU he has a chance to build his own legacy and his own program mostly from scratch.

He could bring Northern back to prominence. I hope he has great success.

50 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He could bring Northern back to prominence. I hope he has great success.

He's a great recruiter.

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He's a great recruiter.

At Minnesota. It will be interesting to see if he can carry that over to Northern. Not likely.

16 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

At Minnesota. It will be interesting to see if he can carry that over to Northern. Not likely.

You never know.  He's a great guy, really understands how to recruit.  He'll pull TC kids. It may take a year or two to build a solid recruiting base but I think he'll do fine.  Obviously his team will be terrible over the next 1-3 years.

21 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

You never know.  He's a great guy, really understands how to recruit.  He'll pull TC kids. It may take a year or two to build a solid recruiting base but I think he'll do fine.  Obviously his team will be terrible over the next 1-3 years.

Some people didn't think Blais could turn things around in Grand Forks when he took over our team in May 1994. I think history proved them wrong.

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Some people didn't think Blais could turn things around in Grand Forks when he took over our team in May 1994. I think history proved them wrong.

Turning around a North Dakota, Minnesota, BU, or Michigan isn't the same as building a program or turning around a program at UMass-Lowell, Merrimack, or Northern Michigan.  

12 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So you think Potulny is wishing he had waited a little bit to take the coaching job at NMU?

12 hours ago, cberkas said:

Michigan Tech, to me, is the better job. Can't fault Potulny for taking NMU job when Mel was still at Tech.

9 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I won't try to guess what Potulny was thinking, but I have to think that Michigan Tech would have been interested in talking to him about their vacancy.  I'm guessing Grant would have reciprocated that interest.  

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Turning around a North Dakota, Minnesota, BU, or Michigan isn't the same as building a program or turning around a program at UMass-Lowell, Merrimack, or Northern Michigan.  

Remember that back in 1994, we didn't have a $105 million palace to play in, had just finished our third consecutive losing season and were having trouble getting 3,000 people at our home games. We were at the bottom of the barrel in the WCHA and even nationally. There were people who thought our best days were behind us. And if we had made the wrong hire in 1994, things might have turned out differently. And not for the better.

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Remember that back in 1994, we didn't have a $105 million palace to play in, had just finished our third consecutive losing season and were having trouble getting 3,000 people at our home games. We were at the bottom of the barrel in the WCHA and even nationally. There were people who thought our best days were behind us. And if we had made the wrong hire in 1994, things might have turned out differently. And not for the better.

Some of my favorite players in that era. Greg Johnson and Landon Wilson to name a few. 

7 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Some of my favorite players in that era. Greg Johnson and Landon Wilson to name a few. 

Greg Johnson was a great player on bad teams.

Landon Wilson was overrated and never lived up to his potential here or at the next level.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

2 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

If you go back to 1990, some of those Greg Johnson era teams had some superior firepower:  Dixon Ward, Gary Valk, Jeff McLean, Russ Romaniuk, Lee Davidson, Neil Eisenhut, Brad Bombadir, Russ Parent, Justin Duberman, HAK.   They just didn't have the whole game.   

3 minutes ago, burd said:

If you go back to 1990, some of those Greg Johnson era teams had some superior firepower:  Dixon Ward, Gary Valk, Jeff McLean, Russ Romaniuk, Lee Davidson, Neil Eisenhut, Brad Bombadir, Russ Parent, Justin Duberman, HAK.   They just didn't have the whole game.   

The game was different.
Coaches were run and gun. 
Nobody taught defensive systems, and gap control, and sweep checking techniques. 
And the goalies weren't wearing sectional sofas on their legs. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

The game was different.
Nobody taught defensive systems, and gap control, and sweep checking techniques. 

That's all true, but you look at the old media guides, something really jumps out at you.  Up until Casey left after 1984, and in the championship season of '86-87, we were getting +.900 save% out of our goalies.  From '84-85 until the championship season of '96-97, except for Belfour's one year, it was a steady stream of .870 goaltending.  That won't cut it, even back then.

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The game was different.

17 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

That's all true, but you look at the old media guides, something really jumps out at you.  Up until Casey left after 1984, and in the championship season of '86-87, we were getting +.900 save% out of our goalies.  From '84-85 until the championship season of '96-97, except for Belfour's one year, it was a steady stream of .870 goaltending.  That won't cut it, even back then.

It would be interesting to correlate the expanding goalie pads with save percentage and GPG stats. 

Also, I wonder how Johnson's 250 plus career points compares with scoring leaders from other programs during that era?

1 hour ago, burd said:

It would be interesting to correlate the expanding goalie pads with save percentage and GPG stats. 

Also, I wonder how Johnson's 250 plus career points compares with scoring leaders from other programs during that era?

Here is a link to the NCAA ice hockey record book.  14th all-time.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_icehockey_rb/2017/D1.pdf

On Mon Apr 24 2017 at 0:46 PM, The Sicatoka said:

The least happy people about the Michigan hire are not in Houghton.
The least happy about the hire are in Minneapolis. 

Quite the opposite actually. Michigan being strong is better for the conference and college hockey.  It's becoming a great rivalry playing 4 times a year and meeting in 2 conference title games. When looking at the history of the programs in the Big Ten it should be the best conference in college hockey. With the revival of Wisconsin and hopefully now with Michigan, the emergence of PSU and OSU, and the addition of Notre Dame it will be the best. Michigan State will turn it around as well at some point.

3 minutes ago, Mariucci said:

Quite the opposite actually. Michigan being strong is better for the conference and college hockey.  It's becoming a great rivalry playing 4 times a year and meeting in 2 conference title games. When looking at the history of the programs in the Big Ten it should be the best conference in college hockey. With the revival of Wisconsin and hopefully now with Michigan, the emergence of PSU and OSU, and the addition of Notre Dame it will be the best. Michigan State will turn it around as well at some point.

Yeah, you could really tell what a great rivalry it is becoming at the "X" last year when Minnesota had to win to get into the NCAA tournament.  Was it even 30 percent full?

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, you could really tell what a great rivalry it is becoming at the "X" last year when Minnesota had to win to get into the NCAA tournament.  Was it even 30 percent full?

Ever attended graduation at U of M-TC? So many Communications majors. Their service industry jobs aren't flexible enough to attend.

34 minutes ago, Mariucci said:

Good luck with that...

Looks like it's time to break out the "B1G is the best conference in hockey" banner. Not every team is going to be good at the same time in the B1G, I know it's hard for some people to realize that. 

The B1G is slowly getting better. I felt we had a chance about being asked to get in, but doesn't seem to be in the cards?

33 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Looks like it's time to break out the "B1G is the best conference in hockey" banner. Not every team is going to be good at the same time in the B1G, I know it's hard for some people to realize that. 

Agreed, but the B10 has the resources to produce better teams more quickly.  Their recruiting pipelines are getting stronger and stronger each year.