SiouxSports.com Forum
cberkas

2017-2018 College Hockey (Non-UND Hockey)

On 4/19/2017 at 11:47 PM, ArchyAlum11 said:

Money is a big part of it but its like any other job, there are also benefits and weaknesses at any school. Mel Pearson has a lot of freedom to run his program the way he wants to at MTU, if he takes the job at Michigan there his no guarantee he will be given that same level of autonomy. He would also leave a school where the sport he coaches is the life blood of the school for a one where its a third tier sport. Not saying he won't take it, I'm just saying that the paycheck isn't the only consideration.

Same situation with Minnesota, If Lucia eventually gets let go or retires, then I'm sure that the University would look to a lot of different coaches as a replacement. They will offer a big paycheck, but with that paycheck comes a lot of back seat drivers in the form of U of M alumni and the MNHS hockey league. While I think Grant Potulny would have loved to coach his alma mater someday (and he may still get that shot), Minnesota comes with its whole line of complications. NMU is a middle of the pack program, but Potulny will probably have a lot of autonomy regarding recruiting and how he runs the team there. I doubt he would get the same amount of freedom at the U of M.

Again not saying money isn't a factor, I'm just saying there are a lot of other factors too.

And all those factors mean different things to different candidates.  Definitely not just about money. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Pearson from MTU is the new Michigan coach according to Bucci.

We'll find out if there is an announcement Monday.

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

He's wrong.

I hear Anastos has been calling the Michigan AD for an interview, not sure if he's looking at being the new water boy. ;)

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

He's wrong.

Bucci doesn't know college hockey. ;)

In other news, Michigan will be having a press conference today(4/24) to announce Pearson as new coach.

Sorta feel bad for Tech. A college hockey blue blood gets what it wants. 

It'll be interesting to see who applies for Tech job. Surprised Eades hasn't gotten a HC position yet.....

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Bucci doesn't know college hockey. ;)

In other news, Michigan will be having a press conference today(4/24) to announce Pearson as new coach.

Sorta feel bad for Tech. A college hockey blue blood gets what it wants. 

It'll be interesting to see who applies for Tech job. Surprised Eades hasn't gotten a HC position yet.....

It sounds like the only job Eades will take is UND.

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

14 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

He's wrong.

He might be right on this one.  Of course, he's still wrong about Northwestern and Illinois adding college hockey anytime soon.  

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

It sounds like the only job Eades will take is UND.

He'll never be offered the UND job.  

14 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

He's wrong.

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

While I don't disagree with you on the latter point, I think your track record of coaching inside information is lacking lately :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Not say he would be offered, but that looks to be the only college job he'd take.

13 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

CHN reporting Jason Lammers headed to Niagara from Dubuque in the USHL.

I heard it was his to lose.

16 hours ago, brianvf said:

16 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

He's wrong.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

While I don't disagree with you on the latter point, I think your track record of coaching inside information is lacking lately :)

Well played, southpaw.  Well played indeed.  

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I heard that the Michigan Tech players were literally pulled off the ice during a practice and informed of the decision earlier today.  

By Twitter?

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Yup.  Leaked by Grant Potulny over in Marquette.  :lol:

So you think Potulny is wishing he had waited a little bit to take the coaching job at NMU?

3 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So you think Potulny is wishing he had waited a little bit to take the coaching job at NMU?

Michigan Tech, to me, is the better job. Can't fault Potulny for taking NMU job when Mel was still at Tech.