Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cberkas

2017-2018 College Hockey (Non-UND Hockey)

Recommended Posts

On 9/6/2017 at 9:21 AM, jdub27 said:

Minnesota looking at adding a 1,500 square foot club room behind the press box and more importantly looking at shrinking the size of the ice  to add additional seating. This idea was originally put out there 3 years ago, the proposed width at that time was 92'6", down from 100' but still larger than an NHL sheet of 85'.

Lucia was on Paul Allen last week at the Fair and said that the Rink was all but a done deal in the next few years.  He said 92'6" was a good size to not ruin the "great sight lines of Mariucci"

He didn't specifically point out there was no one else to be in your way, but that had to be what he meant. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the NCHC tournament is moving to the X in Shelbyville. One life lesson I learned at a young age is how bad of an idea it is to attempt to recreate the magic. Don't complain when it isn't as exciting as the WCHA tourney was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cberkas   

Zach Driscoll, from the looks of it, has left St. Cloud for the USHL (Omaha). Not sure what's going on with him, but I didn't think he was that bad last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fetch   

I like the idea of just sell out the lower level - if it does sell out just keep selling rows on up in next level

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MafiaMan   
13 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I keep hearing people like Schlossman push that narrative and they are missing the point. We will now have our conference tournament in an NHL arena which is hockey-first and basketball-second, unlike the Target Center which is basketball-first and hockey-second. The ice will be good for a change, it won't smell like decades old soda pop and it won't be so dark. Also, the people that run the place will be professional and courteous, unlike a certain downtown Minneapolis venue.

Even if it is not as exciting as the old WCHA Final Five, it will be a much better experience overall.

Right on, fs4l!  It certainly won't be WORSE than the Target Center!

After four years at the X, I bet it'll be tough to find a fan who says "you know, I sure miss this tournament being at Target Center."  

A real crying shame we won't get to sample Improved hot dogs and burgers, take a good look outside thanks to glass windows, and test out the new men's restrooms.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jk   

It's not a huge deal for me either way, but I preferred the Target Center overall.  I work in downtown Mpls., it's a much easier drive from my home, parking is a lot easier, and restaurants are more plentiful.  The rink is better in St. Paul, but that's the only plus on my ledger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jk said:

It's not a huge deal for me either way, but I preferred the Target Center overall.  I work in downtown Mpls., it's a much easier drive from my home, parking is a lot easier, and restaurants are more plentiful.  The rink is better in St. Paul, but that's the only plus on my ledger.

Not discounting your opinion, but if I'm spending 6+ hours for 2 days in a row the rink is a massive plus. The boards, ice, seats were subpar in Target Center so the venue is the #1 priority IMO.  

One other thing is that St Paul establishments(Eagle Street, McGoverns) really embrace UND fans and college hockey where most of Mpls accommodated it but didn't ever make it feel all that important(See:Pourhouse NDSU logo sign). For this reason, St Paul has always had more of a 'college hockey aura' to me. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jk said:

It's not a huge deal for me either way, but I preferred the Target Center overall.  I work in downtown Mpls., it's a much easier drive from my home, parking is a lot easier, and restaurants are more plentiful.  The rink is better in St. Paul, but that's the only plus on my ledger.

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?:D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MafiaMan   
19 hours ago, jk said:

It's not a huge deal for me either way, but I preferred the Target Center overall.  I work in downtown Mpls., it's a much easier drive from my home, parking is a lot easier, and restaurants are more plentiful.  The rink is better in St. Paul, but that's the only plus on my ledger.

So, let's pretend you don't drive your car to Minneapolis every day and aren't able to walk to Target Center from your job...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MafiaMan   
19 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Not discounting your opinion, but if I'm spending 6+ hours for 2 days in a row the rink is a massive plus. The boards, ice, seats were subpar in Target Center so the venue is the #1 priority IMO.  

One other thing is that St Paul establishments(Eagle Street, McGoverns) really embrace UND fans and college hockey where most of Mpls accommodated it but didn't ever make it feel all that important(See:Pourhouse NDSU logo sign). For this reason, St Paul has always had more of a 'college hockey aura' to me. 

St Paul is also a much easier route to the Hogg on Saturday morning as well...

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2017 at 9:21 AM, jdub27 said:

Minnesota looking at adding a 1,500 square foot club room behind the press box and more importantly looking at shrinking the size of the ice  to add additional seating. This idea was originally put out there 3 years ago, the proposed width at that time was 92'6", down from 100' but still larger than an NHL sheet of 85'.

Better refrigeration?

Getting smaller?

costanza-shrinkage.jpg

 

Here come your Minnesota Frightened Turtles! 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cberkas   

2018 Ice Breaker Tournament will be played in Erie Insurance Arena home of the Erie Otters. Mercyhurst, Notre Dame, Providence, and Miami are the teams playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MafiaMan   
1 hour ago, cberkas said:

2018 Ice Breaker Tournament will be played in Erie Insurance Arena home of the Erie Otters. Mercyhurst, Notre Dame, Providence, and Miami are the teams playing.

Not a bad line-up.  

The 2018 Mariucci Classic field has also been revealed:  Wayzata, Grand Forks Red River, and Bloomington Jefferson are the other teams playing.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cberkas   
1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Not a bad line-up.  

The 2018 Mariucci Classic field has also been revealed:  Wayzata, Grand Forks Red River, and Bloomington Jefferson are the other teams playing.  

I hear Gentry Academy is looking to get in on the 3M Classic.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MafiaMan   
15 hours ago, cberkas said:

No surprise that Minnesota is picked to win the B1G.

 

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Oh, they're still doing their little-B1G conference?  That's nice.;)

I will say this much for the B1G...Notre Dame in there makes sense.  I'm glad that school is no longer in Hockey East.  Never belonged there in the first place!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cberkas   
21 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

 

I will say this much for the B1G...Notre Dame in there makes sense.  I'm glad that school is no longer in Hockey East.  Never belonged there in the first place!

I can see Notre Dame leaving the B1G in a couple years when things don't go their way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MafiaMan   
1 hour ago, cberkas said:

I can see Notre Dame leaving the B1G in a couple years when things don't go their way.

I can't.  Regionally, it makes sense.  Plus, those schools are football-crazy and Notre Dame fits right in with Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State.  This is one instance where the B1G made the right move.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×