Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cberkas

2017-2018 College Hockey (Non-UND Hockey)

143 posts in this topic

Does Denver go back-to-back like they have for titles #2 and #3, #4 and #5, and #6 and #7?

Does Montgomery go to the NHL?

Denver loses 9 seniors. My guess is Terry, Gambrell, Borgstrom, and Jaillet are early departures.

I'm going to predict that the NCHC gets 3 teams in the Frozen Four and gets title #3 for the conference. The NCHC has progressed on number of teams make the Frozen Four and how many make the title game each year. I want UND to get #9 or does Denver continue their tradition of going back-to-back. I'd like to see Colorado College end their 60 year National Title drought, but I'm sure that will continue next year.

Two head coaching jobs filled at Omaha and RPI (not sure if Canisius promoted their assistant yet). So Who does Michigan State hire, who does Michigan Tech hire, does Red retire, and does Mel come back to Michigan like some rumors are saying?

DaveK's hot take is Penn State will make the Frozen Four next year and they will win a National Title in 2019.

NCHC 2 B1G 0

I have to think Monty is on someone's short list. If he talked to Calgary last year, his stock only increased this year. There are already three NHL openings with only one interim coach in the playoffs. It'll be interesting for sure. 

19 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Does Denver go back-to-back like they have for titles #2 and #3, #4 and #5, and #6 and #7?

Denver loses 9 seniors. My guess is Terry, Gambrell, Borgstrom, and Jaillet are early departures.

I'm going to predict that the NCHC gets 3 teams in the Frozen Four and gets title #3 for the conference. The NCHC has progressed on number of teams make the Frozen Four and how many make the title game each year. I want UND to get #9 or does Denver continue their tradition of going back-to-back. I'd like to see Colorado College end their 60 year National Title drought, but I'm sure that will continue next year.

Two head coaching jobs filled at Omaha and RPI (not sure if Canisius promoted their assistant yet). So Who does Michigan State hire, who does Michigan Tech hire, does Red retire, and does Mel come back to Michigan like some rumors are saying?

DaveK's hot take is Penn State will make the Frozen Four next year and they will win a National Title in 2019.

NCHC 2 B1G 0

I think Denver only has 8 seniors, two of which are backup goalies.  Their biggest (senior) loss will, obviously, be Butcher.

I don't think Jaillet will leave early.  Denver is extremely thin at the position on the current roster, and I believe they only have 1 goalie recruit in the pipeline (good indicators that the coaching staff does not anticipate an early departure).  The rumors I heard around DU before the NCAA Tournament was Borgstrom plans on coming back for his Sophomore season.  Obviously, a national title can change that, but I would guess he's more of a 50/50 to jump early.  Terry is a Denver guy (and a 5th Round Draftpick), so I wouldn't be surprised if he laces them up for another run with the Pioneers.  I believe Gambrell is likely gone, and DU could also have an unexpected early departure or two.

Losing the Hobey Baker winner will be a big loss for DU's d-corps, but Denver will certainly be in the mix next season. 

2 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I think Denver only has 8 seniors, two of which are backup goalies.  Their biggest (senior) loss will, obviously, be Butcher.

I don't think Jaillet will leave early.  Denver is extremely thin at the position on the current roster, and I believe they only have 1 goalie recruit in the pipeline (good indicators that the coaching staff does not anticipate an early departure).  The rumors I heard around DU before the NCAA Tournament was Borgstrom plans on coming back for his Sophomore season.  Obviously, a national title can change that, but I would guess he's more of a 50/50 to jump early.  Terry is a Denver guy (and a 5th Round Draftpick), so I wouldn't be surprised if he laces them up for another run with the Pioneers.  I believe Gambrell is likely gone, and DU could also have an unexpected early departure or two.

Losing the Hobey Baker winner will be a big loss for DU's d-corps, but Denver will certainly be in the mix next season. 

Butcher, Cowley, Hawkinson, Janssen, Marcinew, Ogard, Ritt, Roming, and VanVoorhis are the seniors. Jaillet is going to get offers here soon. Florida will have a guy following Borgstrom until he signs. Terry's stock rose after the WJC, so I expect him to get pressured.

18 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Butcher, Cowley, Hawkinson, Janssen, Marcinew, Ogard, Ritt, Roming, and VanVoorhis are the seniors. Jaillet is going to get offers here soon. Florida will have a guy following Borgstrom until he signs. Terry's stock rose after the WJC, so I expect him to get pressured.

Hmm, CHN has Hawkinson listed as a Junior.  Looks like he played a few games in four different seasons though.  Either way, DU won't be missing  Hawkinson's career 1 point. (EDIT: Hawkinson is a Redshirt Junior...not that it really matters)

As I said before, I wouldn't be shocked if Borgstrom signs, but what I had heard from pretty high up within DU's athletic department is that DU expected Borgstrom back next season.  Terry will get pressured for certain, but he has pretty strong ties to the university.  Of course, there have been several Grand Forks kids that have played for the Sioux and signed early, so it wouldn't surprise me.  I think both guys are 50/50 to jump early.  I would be pretty surprised if Jaillet leaves early.  If he does, then DU will rely on Vermont reject Patrick Munson and incoming freshman Dayton Rasmussen in net. 

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

Jaillet is going to get offers here soon. 

Jaillet is for sure going to get some offers...and he'll f***in' listen!

11 hours ago, cberkas said:

NCHC 2 B1G 0

They almost beat us last year in the frozen four. If they would've beat us they would have won #8 last year and went back to back for #9 this year. 

53 minutes ago, Sioux Hawky said:

They almost beat us last year in the frozen four. If they would've beat us they would have won #8 last year and went back to back for #9 this year. 

If they had beat us last year does not mean they would have won #9 this year.  In that scenario, if we had not been called for offsides against BU, we could have been holding up #9 if things broke right.  Alot of if's.  A Natty changes a players perspective on things and it will be interesting to see how many of their underclassmen now decide to sign contracts.  A player like Terry may now determine that his mission has been accomplished at DU and with the pressure he will be getting, makes it much easier to go pro with a Natty in your back pocket.

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Jaillet is for sure going to get some offers...and he'll f***in' listen!

He is the man.....the emotional roller coaster that is being a goaltender makes it all the more awesome.

I got interviewed after a high school game once (after my one and only shutout) by the local tv station and was so in the moment and pumped up that the guy doing the video had me start over because I had poor word usage, much like Mr. Jaillet. 

2 hours ago, Sioux Hawky said:

And if DU would have won it in 2015, they would have #7, 8, AND 9 all in a row!  

Wait...if they have won it in 2014, it would have been FOUR in a row!  

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

And if DU would have won it in 2015, they would have #7, 8, AND 9 all in a row!  

Wait...if they have won it in 2014, it would have been FOUR in a row!  

Probably would be up to 20-25 Natty's by now.???

DU will bleed some players after this just like UND did last year. Duluth loses some key senior cogs also. Tufte will get pressure because of size and skill.

What offense Western had signed early and that surprised me. And SCSU losing a defender early was a surprise also. 

On the flip side, Miami not suffering an early out by Louis B is a shock. 

Omaha will be adjusting under new leadership. CC just needs to find itself.

Upperclassmen matter. UND showed it last year; Denver and Duluth showed it this year. 

So, of the 2017 field who has the big junior and sophomore classes moving to senior and junior status? Those will be teams to watch.

Looking at last years standings:

1. Denver - Lose 4 Senior forwards, but from their bottom 6 (2 solid 3rd liners w/ points in the 20s). Hobey on defense and their 6th Dman. We need them to lose some guys early, one won't be enough, at minimum 2, but hoping for 3. Losing depth hurts, but they have so much fire power that could be back.

2. Duluth - Lose a lot of Seniors, but have very good forwards that are returning (pretty deep group). Unlike Denver, I see Duluth as being on a cliff, where as they can't afford to lose Pionk early, if they do that's 5 Defenseman, which is pretty catastrophic. Hoping Pionk signs and they lose a forward early.

3. Western Michigan - Early signings weren't great to them, lose their top 2 players and a SR rounds out their top 3 scorers. That's about it though, have some young good players.

4. UND - 

5. SCSU - Return everyone, minus the FR Dman who signed early. Should improve drastically, with Top NCHC returning D-core and all forwards being a year older

6. UNO - Lose top F and Top D, but only 4 total. Imo should also be better next year

7. Miami - Lose Louis, but that's it, Belpedio is back, will be better next year

8. CC - Is CC

Should be a really competitive league, where I'd expect the 4-7 teams to be better next year than they were this year. Western although losing their Top 3 forwards, return a deep group. All eyes on early departures for Duluth and Denver, we need some. 

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

CC loses 5 seniors / 19 of their 70 goals (27%) / 45 of their 176 pts (25%)
DU loses 8 seniors / 36 of their 152 goals (23%) / 116 of their 403 pts (28%)
Miami loses 3 seniors / 16 of their 91 goals (17%) / 47 of their 257 pts (18%)
UMD loses 7 seniors / 60 of their 140 goals (42%) / 157 of their 371 pts (42%)
UNO loses 3 seniors & 1 early / 46 of their 122 goals (37%) / 119 of their 335 pts (35%)
UND loses 2 seniors & 3 early / 41 of their 127 goals (32%) / 108 of their 336 pts (32%)
SCSU loses 3 seniors & 1 early / 4 of their 105 goals (3%) / 34 of their 290 pts (11%)
WMU loses 8 seniors & 2 early / 65 of their 133 goals (48%) / 156 of their 355 pts (43%)

Looking at those numbers, it looks like Western and Duluth could take big steps back, while SCSU and Miami could move up.  Granted, SCSU & Miami didn't have as much scoring to begin with along with CC.
We'll see what the rest of the schools lose for early departures...we'll get some movement from DU and UMD camps that will bump their numbers up a bit.

Great look, lets take it one step further. Goals / Pointing returning

CC - 51 goals / 131 pts

DU - 116 goals / 287 pts

Miami - 75 goals / 210 pts

UMD - 80 goals / 214 pts

UNO - 76 goals / 216 pts

UND - 86 goals / 228 pts

SCSU - 101 goals / 256 pts

WMU - 68 goals / 199 pts

Mike ChambersVerified account @MikeChambers 2h2 hours ago

At Valor Christian hockey banquet, George Gwozdecky said he has spoken to Michigan State but is planning on remaining w the CO prep team

11 minutes ago, cberkas said:

At Valor Christian hockey banquet, George Gwozdecky said he has spoken to Michigan State but is planning on remaining w the CO prep team

That's because his CO prep team has a better chance than MSU of winning an NCAA title next season...

Just now, MafiaMan said:

That's because his CO prep team has a better chance than MSU of winning an NCAA title next season...

:lol:

Well played.

17 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Until the DU job opens back up?  Then we can really start hating DU again. :)

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:29 PM, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Hmm, CHN has Hawkinson listed as a Junior.  Looks like he played a few games in four different seasons though.  Either way, DU won't be missing  Hawkinson's career 1 point. (EDIT: Hawkinson is a Redshirt Junior...not that it really matters)

As I said before, I wouldn't be shocked if Borgstrom signs, but what I had heard from pretty high up within DU's athletic department is that DU expected Borgstrom back next season.  Terry will get pressured for certain, but he has pretty strong ties to the university.  Of course, there have been several Grand Forks kids that have played for the Sioux and signed early, so it wouldn't surprise me.  I think both guys are 50/50 to jump early.  I would be pretty surprised if Jaillet leaves early.  If he does, then DU will rely on Vermont reject Patrick Munson and incoming freshman Dayton Rasmussen in net. 

Young Mr. Borgstrom, what if I told you that you could sign your pro contract and start making money and still play for Jim Montgomery......is that something you might be interested in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBh0SpDoVZw

With Red Berenson retiring Mel Pearson will be the name at the top of the list. I really hope Mel stays at Michigan Tech, he has started to do what Red did when he was first hired at Michigan. Mel at Michigan Tech is good for college hockey and college needs the Michigan Tech's and Colorado College's of the world to be more competitive and winning National Titles again. Some of the Michigan Tech fans have said that Mel is paid very high.

Danton Cole supposedly being hired by Michigan State is either going to be another Comley or another Anastos. His time at UAH wasn't good at all and there are rumblings that he isn't very good with developing the U17 team. Michigan State is his dream job, so wait and see.

I think Michigan looks to take the Denver and I guess you could say UND approach to hiring a young head coach (Mel is 58 and Brad is 52 so about the same age). Both teams ended National Title droughts might be what Michigan is going to look for.