SiouxSports.com Forum

Memorial Stadium

darell1976

24 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Image result for memorial stadium north dakota

Built in 1927 as a memorial to members of the University of North Dakota community who died during World War I

That is a pretty impressive stadium for 1927!  Very cool pic. 

40 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

That is a pretty impressive stadium for 1927!  Very cool pic. 

The pic is much later, the white car at 50 yard line and ambulance in NW corner are early 60's.

In 1927, they only had the west bleachers.

Later, it seated 10,000 fans. Home to UND football from 1927 to 2000 and boasts a rich and colorful history.

UND posted a 247-88-9 record (.731) in 72 seasons at Memorial Stadium.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

If it were any other school I wouldnt think twice. 

Mildly amusing considering UND's sugar daddy.

Germany the 1930s people blindly followed and never questioned an ideology. Nor it's leaders.

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The pic is much later, the white car at 50 yard line and ambulance in NW corner are early 60's.

In 1927, they only had the west bleachers.

Later, it seated 10,000 fans. Home to UND football from 1927 to 2000 and boasts a rich and colorful history.

UND posted a 247-88-9 record (.731) in 72 seasons at Memorial Stadium.

Why would they take out the bleachers behind the end zones? The north bleachers would’ve made for good seats with your back towards a north wind for those November games.

3 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Why would they take out the bleachers behind the end zones? The north bleachers would’ve made for good seats with your back towards a north wind for those November games.

I've been to a couple of playoff games there on Thanksgiving weekends and it didn't matter where you sat, you froze.

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I've been to a couple of playoff games there on Thanksgiving weekends and it didn't matter where you sat, you froze.

I remember shoveling out my seat before the game started. I miss that stadium, lots of childhood memories. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I remember shoveling out my seat before the game started. I miss that stadium, lots of childhood memories. 

i purposely sat in my seat forthe last game against augie (loss btw) as long as possible...sad day to see the last gamethere

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bundled up in a snowmobile suit chugging hot chocolate and trying to burrow into my dad's arm to get out of the wind is actually a really fond memory of the early 80s at that place.

Games i went to in Alerus felt cold in much different way, like a boring clinic, in the soviet union, on a bad day. 

I say go back to Memorial, rent the Alerus out for potato storage. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

35 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Bundled up in a snowmobile suit chugging hot chocolate and trying to burrow into my dad's arm to get out of the wind is actually a really fond memory of the early 80s at that place.

Games i went to in Alerus felt cold in much different way, like a boring clinic, in the soviet union, on a bad day. 

I say go back to Memorial, rent the Alerus out for potato storage. 

A renovated Memorial Stadium with a positive game day planning situation could potentially be better. Long ways from that happening though. 

I don't like the Alerus Center orientation/set-up. It is all that is available though, and all things considered, it is not that bad. I just think the overly-enclosed feel with no endzone seating is "blah". The building does no favors for the gameday atmosphere (only exceptions are huge games that get everyone excited regardless: 2001 semifinal, 2016 playoffs).

Everyone on here is scared of the weather, obviously. But on a nice Saturday in September, nothing beats outdoor football. Also, a team from down south coming to play in GF during December would be a major advantage for UND. 

If the 1 in 1,000,000 chance ever happened  and UND somehow received a new improved indoor stadium, then yes, that would be even better, but that's not going to happen.

New indoor stadium > renovated outdoor Memorial Stadium > Alerus Center > current Memorial Stadium 

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

A renovated Memorial Stadium with a positive game day planning situation could potentially be better. Long ways from that happening though. 

Playing and practicing indoors is a nice draw for guys not used to the cold.  It should stay that way

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Look down the road to SDSU and set how their attendance trends as the season goes on to see exactly why UND needs to continue playing indoors.

They are the very definition of "fair weather fans"

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Look down the road to SDSU and set how their attendance trends as the season goes on to see exactly why UND needs to continue playing indoors.

UND's "indoor attendance" has been nothing to brag about compared to SDSU's recent attendance. All in all, the little town of Brookings has had very good recent outdoor attendance relative to UND (only exception being home playoff games which SDSU typically win). This is a common misconception that people around UND believe. 

36 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND's "indoor attendance" has been nothing to brag about compared to SDSU's recent attendance. All in all, the little town of Brookings has had very good recent outdoor attendance relative to UND (only exception being home playoff games which SDSU typically win). This is a common misconception that people around UND believe. 

It's a common misconception that there is a significant drop in attendance as the season goes on? Or that they drew 5600 for a playoff game, less than half of what was at their season opener on a Thursday against Duquesne, another game that was an easy win? Or that the regular season finale against UNI drew 5,000 less than the season opener. Yeah, those are "misconceptions"....

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It's a common misconception that there is a significant drop in attendance as the season goes on? Or that they drew 5600 for a playoff game, less than half of what was at their season opener on a Thursday against Duquesne, another game that was an easy win? Or that the regular season finale against UNI drew 5,000 less than the season opener. Yeah, those are "misconceptions"....

5600 for a playoff game is sad. What did we draw for our playoff game for Richmond....8,500 - 9,000 and some people were going ballistic about how pathetic our fan base is. 

To me outdoor football in the fall when the weather is nice is literally the best thing in the world. Even so, I think we need to be inside when it comes to the big picture,  but yes we need to improve that experience. Nobody is telling NDSU they need to start playing outdoors. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

5600 for a playoff game is sad. What did we draw for our playoff game for Richmond....8,500 - 9,000 and some people were going ballistic about how pathetic our fan base is. 

To me outdoor football in the fall when the weather is nice is literally the best thing in the world. Even so, I think we need to be inside when it comes to the big picture,  but yes we need to improve that experience. Nobody is telling NDSU they need to start playing outdoors. 

Richmond was over 10,000.

10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

The Fargodome provides a way better atmosphere than the Alerus Center due to the seating arrangement (and wins, obviously).