SiouxSports.com Forum

Memorial Stadium

darell1976

58 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

The funds for the HPC are privately donated, that's the difference here. The twins wouldn't have a leg to stand on, becuse UND athletics sure as hell won't be a privately funded organization. We're already doing that for men's golf and even that sits funny with me. 

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you. The bigger problem is the public perception they push isn't an accurate narrative and the average person not only doesn't see the difference, they don't care to look into it to understand it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you. The bigger problem is the public perception they push isn't an accurate narrative and the average person not only doesn't see the difference, they don't care to look into it to understand it.

Fair enough.  I guess I shouldn't assume people know the HPC was built from donor money alone.  That's probably part of the reason Bubba references the donors everytime the HPC comes up in interviews, not only to thank them but to try to educate those that think state money paid for it. 

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

didn't know exactly where to put this but it looks like they are redoing the grass south of the hpac?  seems to be about the length and width of a football field...

I do not know any specific details about this, but I can imagine it would be nice for UND football to have a grass practice field at their disposal for 2017.

With that said, I do not believe UND has a regular season game scheduled on a grass field for 2017.

It's being done, in part, to support the rapid growth in UND summer youth football camps. The work to prep the field is being paid for privately.  It's a big need and allows UND to keep the camps on campus close to the other FB facilities instead of needing to utilize space at nearby parks such as Lake Agassis. 

• Upvote 2

two things they need/should do on the south side of the hpc...plants some trees near the rr trax and fix that gravel road in front of the hpc...the new grass will be nice and it looks like they might have inground water system buried in there too....

6 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

ND Legislature would need to actually find a way to raise more revenue to fully fund the university system, not likely to happen anytime soon especially after the very public loss of women's hockey.

Define "fully fund"

• Upvote 1

On 2017. 6. 16. at 9:46 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Define "fully fund"

Good point I suppose increase funding would be a more accurate term, basically, reverse the cuts they forced all the ND universities to make, but that would likely only come from increasing or additional taxes. Which won't happen.

One of the CFL teams built a  nice new outdoor  stadium  with cold weather  in  mind.

A sunken bowl with wind breaks from close buildings  like an IPF.

The stands are covered  like Washington cold and  wet is the worst.

So you limit wind and  rain for fans and keep the homefield  edge for the team. 

Add glassed in luxury  suites for the revenue boost.

Fifteen  or sixteen  thousand  capacity  with an SRO around twenty thousand would be great.

17 minutes ago, MJG said:

One of the CFL teams built a  nice new outdoor  stadium  with cold weather  in  mind.

A sunken bowl with wind breaks from close buildings  like an IPF.

The stands are covered  like Washington cold and  wet is the worst.

So you limit wind and  rain for fans and keep the homefield  edge for the team. 

Add glassed in luxury  suites for the revenue boost.

Fifteen  or sixteen  thousand  capacity  with an SRO around twenty thousand would be great.

Outdoor ain't gonna happen up here. There's a reason they're called fair weather fans.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Outdoor ain't gonna happen up here. There's a reason they're called fair weather fans.

This is most certainly the truth. Unless an INDOOR football stadium gets built in Grand Forks, UND football is best situated where they currently are within the Alerus Center. 

On 6/24/2017 at 11:07 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is most certainly the truth. Unless an INDOOR football stadium gets built in Grand Forks, UND football is best situated where they currently are within the Alerus Center. 

Had a dream last winter about a 25,000 seat indoor FB stadium being built west of campus on N side of Univ Ave where the present Mobile Home Park is. A few alumni bought the park and confronted the U about building it with their own $ for the U. The U replied, you can the build it right away, but we can't wait 30 years to own it!!!! They said, OK!!!!!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Had a dream last winter about a 25,000 seat indoor FB stadium being built west of campus on N side of Univ Ave where the present Mobile Home Park is. A few alumni bought the park and confronted the U about building it with their own $ for the U. The U replied, you can the build it right away, but we can't wait 30 years to own it!!!! They said, OK!!!!!

The one-story apartment buildings that the U are tearing down at Stanford and University could be a possible place.  The Mobile Home Park is west of I-29 - not very accessible.

16 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The one-story apartment buildings that the U are tearing down at Stanford and University could be a possible place.  The Mobile Home Park is west of I-29 - not very accessible.

I forgot to mention that my dream also had a rail down the center of U Ave from the new Hawks' Nest, through campus, and to downtown GF.

On 6/26/2017 at 10:49 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Me and my parents used to live there before I was in grade school. It was surrounded on the south and west sides by farmland back then.

On 6/28/2017 at 8:54 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

Me and my parents used to live there before I was in grade school. It was surrounded on the south and west sides by farmland back then.

Is that out by Park Manor? 

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It is the trailer park at the corner of University Avenue and N 55th Street, which was gravel back then and has since been paved. It is also across the street from the Congressional I and II subdivisions built after the 1997 flood.

My dad worked at Nodak Electric on Univ west of 55th (where technically Univ Ave ends). I knew a kid from school that lived in that trailer park. Talk about memories. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2017 at 10:42 AM, darell1976 said:

My dad worked at Nodak Electric on Univ west of 55th (where technically Univ Ave ends). I knew a kid from school that lived in that trailer park. Talk about memories. 

That trailer park has lots of vacancies, has potential for something UND? Of course down the road when there is some $ around.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That trailer park has lots of vacancies, has potential for something UND? Of course down the road when there is some $ around.

I think that is best thing UND could do, Bide its time and wait, see if A. the economy improves or B. the legislature decideds to raise more revanue for Higher Education... or both. Of course if anyone knows a multimillionare or Billionare that wants to spend some cash...

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...