SiouxSports.com Forum

Memorial Stadium

darell1976

Just a thought for everyone, I know we are under contract with the Alerus for a few more years, anyone know how much they are charging UND for rent, because with this budget crisis looming and sports cutting, could UND see its way back to a rent free stadium called Memorial Stadium? I know major renovations would have to be done to that place and people would be pissed by paying for that while women's hockey is out, but could it become a reality? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Just a thought for everyone, I know we are under contract with the Alerus for a few more years, anyone know how much they are charging UND for rent, because with this budget crisis looming and sports cutting, could UND see its way back to a rent free stadium called Memorial Stadium? I know major renovations would have to be done to that place and people would be pissed by paying for that while women's hockey is out, but could it become a reality? 

Last I heard, from an unreliable source, that there is going to be a stadium with a retractable roof build there. I've been waiting for the announcement since homecoming weekend when the announcement was suppose to be.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Last I heard, from an unreliable source, that there is going to be a stadium with a retractable roof build there. I've been waiting for the announcement since homecoming weekend when the announcement was suppose to be.

This was a goal for 2019 in a previous Master Planning for Athletics, but they won't hit that timeline, and with lack of funding to complete HPC i'm not sure I'll ever see it done. The other option was a horseshoe stadium. Renderings had a additional parking ramp on east side of columboa connecting skyway to the other ramp and to the stadium. Same MP diagram had a soccer field just to the east of 2nd proposed ramp.

30 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

This was a goal for 2019 in a previous Master Planning for Athletics, but they won't hit that timeline, and with lack of funding to complete HPC i'm not sure I'll ever see it done. The other option was a horseshoe stadium. Renderings had a additional parking ramp on east side of columboa connecting skyway to the other ramp and to the stadium. Same MP diagram had a soccer field just to the east of 2nd proposed ramp.

It was a shill when negotiating the contract with the Alerus. 

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Won't happen unless MAJOR renovations are made. Budget aside, Memorial is not even close to capable in terms of hosting a DI football game right now. 

The soonest I could see UND back at a renovated, upgraded Memorial Stadium would be 10 years from now (but most likely longer than that). HPC Phase II is unquestionably the priority right now in terms of funding/upgrades for football; UND needs new coaching offices, locker rooms, and meeting rooms to take the next level as a DI football program. 

Until then, UND and the Alerus Center need to work together to make that arrangement an even better homefield advantage for UND football. It got better the last year or so but there is still work to be done to enhance the fan experience and atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, Wildfan said:

It may have been part of the master plan, not arguing that. But it was put out on another forum that there was going to be an announcement during homecoming that the stadium was getting built. I've just recently heard of this soccer/lacrosse field that is going to be built too, I'll wait and see on that one.

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

Was it confirmed which year of homecoming the announcement would be? ;)

• Upvote 2

I don't see UND ever playing in a renovated Memorial stadium. Unless UND has a retractable roof, you will likely never see a open air football game for UND, in Grand Forks again.

For people complaining about attendance, tell me how potentially playing the game in low teens in late october or early november will increase attendance? I know some people like that, but the majority won't, and attendance would take a hit. 

That being said, I think the best thing UND could do (if the fund were there), would be completely knock out Memorial stadium and build a new stadium on that site. Maybe you could even put big windows in, like the Vikings stadium has for the open air feel in early fall. You already have a large parking area for tailgating, and you could bus people over from the Ralph. You would also be close to some of the Greek community, which may draw in more fans, and tailgating events.

Doubt it will happen that way, but I think that would be a great spot for it. Assuming there is enough land there, now that the HPC is up.

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

A new on campus stadium was a long shot 3 years ago before all of these budget issues.  If you think that building a 100+ million dollar stadium is a priority for UND right now, you are insane!! 

Not sure if you were talking to me, or in general ..... I'm not saying it is a priority or it will happen. I was just saying, I don't see a renovated, outdoor stadium ever happening.

I'm not a big fan of the Alerus, but for now, it is UNDs best option and certainly works well. I would like to see something new, on campus, down the road a ways. Certainly not in the near future, barring a Ralph type donor.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't see UND ever playing in a renovated Memorial stadium. Unless UND has a retractable roof, you will likely never see a open air football game for UND, in Grand Forks again.

For people complaining about attendance, tell me how potentially playing the game in low teens in late october or early november will increase attendance? I know some people like that, but the majority won't, and attendance would take a hit. 

That being said, I think the best thing UND could do (if the fund were there), would be completely knock out Memorial stadium and build a new stadium on that site. Maybe you could even put big windows in, like the Vikings stadium has for the open air feel in early fall. You already have a large parking area for tailgating, and you could bus people over from the Ralph. You would also be close to some of the Greek community, which may draw in more fans, and tailgating events.

Doubt it will happen that way, but I think that would be a great spot for it. Assuming there is enough land there, now that the HPC is up.

How about knocking out Memorial Stadium and make a UND sports museum, displaying all the trophies and Championship teams.  

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure if you were talking to me, or in general ..... I'm not saying it is a priority or it will happen. I was just saying, I don't see a renovated, outdoor stadium ever happening.

I'm not a big fan of the Alerus, but for now, it is UNDs best option and certainly works well. I would like to see something new, on campus, down the road a ways. Certainly not in the near future, barring a Ralph type donor.

It wasn't directed at you.  Just giving my opinion on a new football stadium happening at UND.  Agreed.  Nothing will happen in the new future.  Unless we get a big donor, I don't see it happening ever in my opinion.   When you have a stadium that has worked now for 15+ years and is only just as old, there is not really a lot of urgency to move out and build a new one.  

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

It wasn't directed at you.  Just giving my opinion on a new football stadium happening at UND.  Agreed.  Nothing will happen in the new future.  Unless we get a big donor, I don't see it happening ever in my opinion.   When you have a stadium that has worked now for 15+ years and is only just as old, there is not really a lot of urgency to move out and build a new one.  

Completely agree. And while I am not the biggest fan of the Alerus, like you said ... it has been functional for 15+ years. It is by no means a bad stadium, but IF the donations were there, I bet they could do something pretty cool on campus.

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

It may have been part of the master plan, not arguing that. But it was put out on another forum that there was going to be an announcement during homecoming that the stadium was getting built. I've just recently heard of this soccer/lacrosse field that is going to be built too, I'll wait and see on that one.

Did somebody say lacrosse?!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Unless UND has a retractable roof, you will likely never see a open air football game for UND, in Grand Forks again.

For people complaining about attendance, tell me how potentially playing the game in low teens in late october or early november will increase attendance?

Wins thread. 

Would go about as well as SDSU's attendance after October.  6K for their home playoff game and there weren't even that many.

As far as Memorial goes, it will be in a pile of rubble before anything happens to that site.  The building is crumbling.  

Personally I like watching games in the AL, as there really isn't a bad seat other than the lower end zone seats. Plus, watching games indoors in November and December is a huge plus. 

When I win the powerball I will create an endowment that will eventually be able to fund an indoor stadium with clear ceilings. Need to be indoors in our climate but natural light is a must. 

• Upvote 3