SiouxSports.com Forum

One Week Later

AJS

It has now been a week since the Women's hockey program has been cut at UND, I'm interested to hear if the general reaction has been bigger than you thought, about the same, or not as bad. Has anything surprised you?

• On TV, Print and Radio
  • Social Media

Looking forward, how long until things start to slow down as far as Social Media campaigns, stories, ect... A month? Longer?

UND cannot get into a social media fight on this - emotions are running high but there are plenty of facts that back up the decision. The worst thing would be for UND to cave - which I can't see how that would happen with a program that loses $2 million a year and has no TItle IX implications. 

Layoffs and cut backs happen every day. The first stage in moving toward acceptance is denial followed by anger, this too shall pass.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

UND cannot get into a social media fight on this - emotions are running high but there are plenty of facts that back up the decision. The worst thing would be for UND to cave - which I can't see how that would happen with a program that loses $2 million a year and has no TItle IX implications. 

Layoffs and cut backs happen every day. The first stage in moving toward acceptance is denial followed by anger, this too shall pass.  

That would be a nightmare, a bigger one than what is going on right now.

Put yourself in a department head shoes and you hear the news that UND renegs on an athletic team that loses two million a year... and your department is facing cuts that haven't been announced yet.  How would you react?

It was about what I expected.  I'm not seeing the same amount of social media posts I saw soon after the decision.  Only the few that have direct ties to the program (which I am ok with).  This was an easy target right away however I think the silence from UND has been a good decision.  Kill any hope of life support by not saying anything to the public.  May see a spike in social media posts if the USA women win the world cup but people will get on with their lives after that and realize they didn't care for the program to start with. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

While we are contracting ndsu is expanding

they bought nursing school with Sanford now are taking it over fully with state $$$

Kennedy bowing down to ndsu???he should be in bismarck lobbying!!! 

NDSU is not immune to the budget situation in North Dakota:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4245973-ndsus-bismarck-nursing-program-risk-bresciani-warns-email

A provision included in the higher education funding bill moving through the state Legislature would force North Dakota State University to close its nursing program in Bismarck, the university's president said Tuesday, April 4.

"In our preliminary reading, at the end of this semester, we would have to close the program," Bresciani said. "In other words, without warning, 257 students ... 17 of which are doctor of nursing practices students, would be without a program, and approximately 18 associated faculty and staff would have to be terminated."

Bresciani also said the bill calls for removing $3.5 million in operating funds from NDSU's budget.

NDSU boosters like to make it sound like they are swimming in money and can do whatever they want. That clearly is not true.

1 minute ago, gfhockey said:

The state isn't going to let that close

port had a good article on that how bresciani just did it with out permission and knew this would end up like this

why they only cut 3.5 million and we had to cut a lot more

NDSU is putting off long-term structural changes to their organization. It will backfire on them at some point. Also, they only have 16 sports, so they really cannot cut anything.

I think some of the ridiculous social media comments surprised me:  The comment on FB that they think that Bubba is overpaid really floored me. 

How this slows down:  Depends on if a lawsuit is brought or not. If not, I think once summer hits things will slow down.  It might flair up when hockey season come around or a snarky comment here or there if FB, BB, VB struggle or salary gets bumped, etc.

If a suit does get brought to the table... well all bets are off then.

13 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think some of the ridiculous social media comments surprised me:  The comment on FB that they think that Bubba is overpaid really floored me. 

How this slows down:  Depends on if a lawsuit is brought or not. If not, I think once summer hits things will slow down.  It might flair up when hockey season come around or a snarky comment here or there if FB, BB, VB struggle or salary gets bumped, etc.

If a suit does get brought to the table... well all bets are off then.

They have no ground to stand on for a suit. What can they sue about other than title 9 violations which is not possible?

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Well, board up the windows and get to your safe space, there's a !@#$ storm a brewin....

Lunchtime drinking game:  Every time theses words are mentioned:

little girls dreams - 1 drink

Olympians - 2 drinks

#neverendthefight - 2 drinks

Title IV - 2 drinks

Lamoureaux - 3 drinks

1.9 Million dollar cost - Finish the case (should be safe here)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Lunchtime drinking game:  Every time theses words are mentioned:

little girls dreams - 1 drink

Olympians - 2 drinks

#neverendthefight - 2 drinks

Title IV - 2 drinks

Lamoureaux - 3 drinks

1.9 Million dollar cost - Finish the case (should be safe here)

Better alert Altru...all hands on deck.

• Upvote 2