SiouxSports.com Forum

Should Basketball Use the Ralph?

nodak651

53 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

My point all along has been that attendance will be instantly higher than it is now in the Betty (greater than 3,300). That's the effect of the REA. The real question is the potential degree of attendance increase. 

The attendance numbers you cite are partially due to the Betty itself - not the most revolutionary basketball arena by any means. The Ralph, on the other hand, draws a large crowd not only due to the product on the ice or court, BUT ALSO DUE TO the building itself (two bars with seating, 360 degree lower and upper bowl seating, atmosphere, etc.). 

Not sure I'm buying it.  I don't think the Ralph draws numbers because of it being the Ralph.  Maybe in 2001-03 timeframe, but not anymore.  People pack the Ralph to cheer on the men's hockey team as they strive for national championships.  The women's hockey didn't attract crowds because of the Ralph.  Plus, even if attendance was the same, 3,300 in the Betty would be much better atmosphere than 3,300 in the Ralph.  Like I said, prove that there are more than 3,300 basketball fans for every game, and then I'm for the basketball teams going big time in the Ralph.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Dustin said:

Not sure I'm buying it.  I don't think the Ralph draws numbers because of it being the Ralph.  Maybe in 2001-03 timeframe, but not anymore.  People pack the Ralph to cheer on the men's hockey team as they strive for national championships.  The women's hockey didn't attract crowds because of the Ralph.  Plus, even if attendance was the same, 3,300 in the Betty would be much better atmosphere than 3,300 in the Ralph.  Like I said, prove that there are more than 3,300 basketball fans for every game, and then I'm for the basketball teams going big time in the Ralph.

The women's games weren't typically Friday and Saturday evening (as far as I know - never went just as everyone else), plus we all know the appeal and following of men's hockey and men's basketball is far greater than that of women's hockey. 

UND men's basketball, even when DII, has never drew a crowd under 3300 while playing at the REA. 

We'll just agree to disagree. I know countless folks, and I see countless folks, who are at the game with no clue what hockey or UND's current team entails nor do they care, because they are at the REA having a good time. That building itself, along with the atmoshphere the staff promotes, is unquestionably a huge factor on attendance. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The women's games weren't typically Friday and Saturday evening (as far as I know - never went just as everyone else), plus we all know the appeal and following of men's hockey and men's basketball is far greater than that of women's hockey. 

UND men's basketball, even when DII, has never drew a crowd under 3300 while playing at the REA. 

We'll just agree to disagree. I know countless folks, and I see countless folks, who are at the game with no clue what hockey in general or UND's current team  entails nor do they care, because they are at the REA having a good time. That building itself, along with the atmoshphere the staff promotes, is unquestionably a huge factor on attendance. 

Can you imagine instead of Jones bringing in recruits and taking them to a packed out Ralph for a hockey game, he brings them to a packed out Ralph for a UND basketball game against NDSU?!!  Much more effective!

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Can you imagine instead of Jones bringing in recruits and taking them to a packed out Ralph for a hockey game, he brings them to a packed out Ralph for a UND basketball game against NDSU?!!  Much more effective!

So pretty much what NDSU is doing with their new arena.

24 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not to be a hater,  but I have been to every ndsu/und basketball game since they brought the game back. The best atmospheres weren't in the dome or in the ralph... nor were they very full. 

3 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Not to be a hater,  but I have been to every ndsu/und basketball game since they brought the game back. The best atmospheres weren't in the dome or in the ralph... nor were they very full. 

I disagree. NDSU vs UND in REA (first time NDSU was in GF during DI era) was quite good. 

NDSU had students there and they bickered across the court with the UND students. The kids then stormed the court after UND won. Quite the game to be at. 

• Upvote 2

Count me in the camp that feels that the Sioux Center needs to be at capacity for a few seasons before moving to the REA.  I'm not against the REA by any means, but I am against watching basketball in a cavernous building that may only be 1/3 full.  REA is obviously a beautiful arena, but it was designed for hockey, not basketball.  That's why it is awful for atmosphere for basketball unless there are 7,000+ in the building.  The Sioux Center on the other hand can be a raucous environment with just a little over 2,000 people in it.  And it is awesome when it is full IMO.  I'd rather invest in upgrading the Sioux Center personally.  The new video boards were a great start.  An upgraded scorers table would be nice.  At some point I'd like to see permanent chair back seating put in the North end.  

As far as the Hyslop, that place was a dump.  I was so glad when we moved out of there.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Wait until we are both fighting for the Summit League title. Now that UND has been to the dance, both schools will be hungry to represent the state and only one school can have the chance to do that (starting in the fall of 2018).   

2003-04 NDSU vs UND attendance: 7,247 in the REA, 5030 at the BSA

2016-17 NDSU vs UND attendance: 2428 at the Betty and 5022 at the Scheels Center

UND has never played a conference game against NDSU in the Betty.

6 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

.  I'm not against the REA by any means, but I am against watching basketball in a cavernous building that may only be 1/3 full.  REA is obviously a beautiful arena, but it was designed for hockey, not basketball.  That's why it is awful for atmosphere for basketball unless there are 7,000+ in the building.  

REA could easily become a tremendous basketball arena, but it just needs to be filled like the REA is on hockey nights (men's, obviously not women's).

So, you're right that the atmosphere could take some time to build in the REA, but I'm nearly certain that MBB attendance would be considerably higher if UND was in the REA consistently or at least a few games per season. Each one of the REA games would draw over the max Betty capacity crowd. So, my thoughts are more towards absolute attendance and the beauty of the building than the upper bowl empty seats and initial atmosphere. Depending on the cost to set up the REA for basketball and the degree of attendance increase, the improved attendance numbers could help UND MBB's bottomline. 

Take a close look at the photo of the full Hyslop.  Those are high school  back boards on the standards.  That ia a photo of a North Dakota class A high school championship game. It was taken in the mid 50's- early 60's..  

Bill Fitch brought in the De Paul Blue Demons of Chicago in 1965-66 coached by the legendary coach Ray Meyer and Chicago Loyola in 1966-67. Loyola  won the NCAA Div I title in 1963.  These 2 teams were the Gonzaga and Butler of their day.The Field House ( Hyslop ) was just as full for those games and  the Sioux won both of them. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/5/2017 at 8:16 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

oh if phil jackson could just write us a smallish check to his und fighting hawks bball squad...but he won't

How nice that would be - especially with that nickname gone that he was so concerned about before hand.

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, nodak651 said:

Pretty sure you're joking, but Hyslop has always been my preference, even though I've never seen a game there.  It's basically a mini Duke arena.

a9c7f250f33a560b95f283ccba17e7a7.jpg

Image result for und basketball hyslop

I was being dead serious. I would pick watching a game in the Hyslop over the Betty any day of the week. From what I was told the price tag of renovating (removing asbestos) was outrageous.

1 hour ago, ibleedgreen said:

I was being dead serious. I would pick watching a game in the Hyslop over the Betty any day of the week. From what I was told the price tag of renovating (removing asbestos) was outrageous.

i still have a hard time believing that tearing something down and hauling it away is cheaper than tearing down the pool side and gutting the main arena and the front admin side facing the parking ramp? 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i still have a hard time believing that tearing something down and hauling it away is cheaper than tearing down the pool side and gutting the main arena and the front admin side facing the parking ramp? 

Right there with you. Building from scratch isn't cheap either, but some people talk like it is. Anyone privy to hard numbers on this?