southpaw

UND W Hockey on Outside the Lines

46 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

Kate Fagan on Outside the Lines said the most under reported story of the week was UND cutting women's hockey.  She backed that statement up by saying UND has 8 members currently on the US Women's World Cup Team and that cutting UND W hockey is like cutting UConn's women's basketball..."That's how dominant that program had been."

I can only believe that she did a quick google search and came across UND's men's hockey success and mis-read it as the women's team.  What an absurd statement.  

52 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I can only believe that she did a quick google search and came across UND's men's hockey success and mis-read it as the women's team.  What an absurd statement.  

UND...that's the one in Fargo, right?

4 hours ago, southpaw said:

Kate Fagan on Outside the Lines said the most under reported story of the week was UND cutting women's hockey.  She backed that statement up by saying UND has 8 members currently on the US Women's World Cup Team and that cutting UND W hockey is like cutting UConn's women's basketball... "That's how dominant that program had been."

C5z2O34.gif

I sent her and OTL a couple of tweets and they haven't responded. They probably already moved on to a different soap box.

The Wall Street Journal and New York Daily News also have stories about the wickedness of UND having the balls to cut women's hockey.  Oh the injustice of being a female athlete is on display here.

The PC'ness of women's hockey was why I thought it could never be cut.  UND will have more firestorms on this issue, but strangely no one is willing to donate money to resurrect it.

So is this the fake news everyone talks about?  JFC how bad do you have to be at your job to throw around that horsesh*t just to smear the university.  I am pretty sick of the feels over facts B.S. culture we have going on in this world.  

Just to clarify, was this on "Outside the Lines" or "Around the Horn?"

20 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Just to clarify, was this on "Outside the Lines" or "Around the Horn?"

Outside the Lines

It was brought up as their underreported segment.

Well after last night maybe Kate was unto something with her comparison..........  ;)

Has there been any response or clarification of that comparison?  It's as fake as the Easter Bunny, but if it fits the narrative, no need to admit it's COMPLETELY misleading, is there?

I told a gopher friend about this.  He just stared at me for a few moments before shaking his head.  Just dumbfounded.

What's funny is that if und dropped men's hockey it wouldn't be this big of a story,  despite the nice arena and successful program. 

Drop women's hockey and it turns out sexism is alive and well on the northern plains!

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Has there been any response or clarification of that comparison?  It's as fake as the Easter Bunny, but if it fits the narrative, no need to admit it's COMPLETELY misleading, is there?

The link is on one of the previous pages in this thread.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:48 AM, JohnboyND7 said:

What's funny is that if und dropped men's hockey it wouldn't be this big of a story,  despite the nice arena and successful program. 

Drop women's hockey and it turns out sexism is alive and well on the northern plains!

Ehh that might be pushing it.  If we dropped hockey it would be a huge story.  

On 4/1/2017 at 9:48 AM, JohnboyND7 said:

Agree with @cowboys5xsbs - JohnboyND7, how big of a deal would it be in Fargo if NDSU dropped football?  :lol:

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Agree with @cowboys5xsbs - JohnboyND7, how big of a deal would it be in Fargo if NDSU dropped football?  :lol:

In Fargo, a big deal.  Nationally, not really. 

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Not alot of national f#$?ks given for 1 less jv footyball team

13 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I agree. 

Same for college hockey...or any hockey really.  It is what it is. 

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

The B1G might be happy about that.

Rutgers is the B1G's FCS team now.

16 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Pop Warner football is even more popular than college slappy puck; there is even an entire television program on it (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/friday-night-tykes-season-four; don't get me started on the actual absurdity of this, but it is reality). 

Who would've guessed reality could be entertained here in the Great White North, independent of all "outsiders" due to its superiority? 

Reality: relatively speaking, no one cares about college hockey. FCS football is no better or worse than NCAA hockey.