SiouxSports.com Forum

Reinvestment into Football Program

UND-FB-FAN

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4242753-miller-emotions-aside-unds-remaining-programs-are-better-position#.WNxlKueKl6k.twitter

A key piece of Wednesday's news was that UND didn't just cut the $1.3 million from its budget as requested from President Mark Kennedy, the total cut was estimated at $2.5 million.

Maybe some of the deeper-than-required cut goes to pay a men's basketball coach that was the lowest paid in the entire NCAA Tournament field.

Any priorities within the UND football program that the UND athletic department might eventually identify to improve with the savings?

I suspect reinvestment into other women's sports will be the initial focus (Title IX consideration and competitive equity), but after that I would suspect the men's basketball and football programs could use a much-needed competitive boost in coaching salaries and/or equipment, especially since they are both coming off record seasons. 

Discuss. 

As for women's sports, I would love to see an aggressive move on volleyball.  The Midwest is a great recruiting area for volleyball players, and I am convinced that UND could take volleyball to a top 50 RPI with regular NCAA tournament appearances and wins.

For men's sports, it's obvious and well-documented (and well-discussed) that men's basketball needs a major upgrade.  With the highest potential visibility that could be achieved at our university (March Madness), the possibilities are limitless.  Take a look at schools like Butler and Gonzaga, who were virtually unknowns 20 years ago.  Not saying we're gonna be in the Final Four 20 years from now, but by then if we don't have some NCAA tournament wins, I would be disappointed.

Football seems to be on the right track, though losing a guy like Kevin Maurice tells me that work needs to be there too.

Excited for things to come!

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

As for women's sports, I would love to see an aggressive move on volleyball.  The Midwest is a great recruiting area for volleyball players, and I am convinced that UND could take volleyball to a top 50 RPI with regular NCAA tournament appearances and wins.

For men's sports, it's obvious and well-documented (and well-discussed) that men's basketball needs a major upgrade.  With the highest potential visibility that could be achieved at our university (March Madness), the possibilities are limitless.  Take a look at schools like Butler and Gonzaga, who were virtually unknowns 20 years ago.  Not saying we're gonna be in the Final Four 20 years from now, but by then if we don't have some NCAA tournament wins, I would be disappointed.

Football seems to be on the right track, though losing a guy like Kevin Maurice tells me that work needs to be there too.

Excited for things to come!

It is wrong to interpret his move in that way.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

It is wrong to interpret his move in that way.

Didn't he take the same position at Eastern Washington?  I can't help but think a higher investment in Bubba's staff would have made that decision at least a little bit harder.

16 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Maybe build a new #hockeyonly apartment building attached to the Ralph so players have easier access to ice.

Pretty crazy that schools are doing stuff like that nowadays. Pretty sad deal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

gundy: Are you teaching the rare, mystical algorithmic topic of addition by subtraction? 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Not saying you guys are wrong, but then why did he take the EWU position if it wasn't for his career?

It was a pleasure getting to know Coach Maurice and I hope to stay in touch with him down the road.  I am just saying this wan't an apples to apples decision for him based on football only.  He's a good guy, but I know the staff will adjust accordingly.

53 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

It was a pleasure getting to know Coach Maurice and I hope to stay in touch with him down the road.  I am just saying this wan't an apples to apples decision for him based on football only.  He's a good guy, but I know the staff will adjust accordingly.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Life happens.

Thanks for the insight.  Still can't hurt to pay assistants more, though, right?

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Got a note from Bubba a few days ago that we have sold 475 new season tickets since last year.  That's a nice number for this time of year.  Any extra butts in the seats means extra $$.

#buttbybutt

More supporters the better.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not to be too much of a wet blanket, but, honestly, based on the GFH story yesterday there's work to be done in a couple other places first. 

Yes there is

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Maybe build a new #hockeyonly apartment building attached to the Ralph so players have easier access to ice.

Oddly, I've also had that thought. I'm surprised there isn't a massive attached luxury building for them there yet.

They already have their own on demand chef.