SiouxSports.com Forum

FROZEN FOUR

Pearson's Hockey Bus

A former co-worker of mine is a Duluth alum and a few months ago, he told me that this year was the year the Dogs needed to win it all because next season will be tough for them personnel wise. Just one guy's opinion but he's a Duluth alum and close follower of Bulldog hockey so I tend to believe him. 

3 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

A former co-worker of mine is a Duluth alum and a few months ago, he told me that this year was the year the Dogs needed to win it all because next season will be tough for them personnel wise. Just one guy's opinion but he's a Duluth alum and close follower of Bulldog hockey so I tend to believe him. 

This was the year for both them and Denver.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MafiaMan said:

Yup, this was the last year for either of these teams to have a shot.  Expect 4 teams from the B1G at next year's Frozen Four.  It's just a matter of which ones!

Didn't you hear? It'll be all of them at the Four because they're so good none could be left behind. 

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

This was the year for both them and Denver.

Because, our guys feel that there is unfinished business.  IMHO the loss of Tucker for the NCAA's sat wrong in a lot of players heads.  They knew that they had a special thing going and had to wonder what he would have meant in that BU game.  I guess this team learned, albeit late in the season, what it took to win night in and night out.  Next year is going to be special, 180 days till puck drop.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ringneck28 said:

Because, our guys feel that there is unfinished business.  IMHO the loss of Tucker for the NCAA's sat wrong in a lot of players heads.  They knew that they had a special thing going and had to wonder what he would have meant in that BU game.  I guess this team learned, albeit late in the season, what it took to win night in and night out.  Next year is going to be special, 180 days till puck drop.

UND could have made it to the Frozen Four just didn't get a bounce to go their way.

3 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

To be fair, lots of teams wind up with the "unfinished business" slogan.  Quinnipiac has unfinished business...so does Harvard...UMass-Lowell...Michigan would like to win one for Red...BU...Miami since they lost the title game...most teams never get a second chance.  

I wonder if DU might be a potential target of the B1G as their 8th member. Large market, known brand, good academics, large endowment. Wouldn't shock me in the least if they were to fail grabbing UND, they went after DU. 

12 hours ago, terbele said:

For anyone at the UC, how was the atmosphere, was it full?  How about pregame bars, street activity?

Not sure about atmosphere, but according to the box score, attendance was 19,783, which I'm guessing is one of the highest ever.

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Not sure about atmosphere, but according to the box score, attendance was 19,783, which I'm guessing is one of the highest ever.

Appears to be the largest crowd ever for a hockey venue (Ford Field has an attendance record that will never be broken).

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/frozen_4/2016-17/007-Attendance.pdf

They announced the largest Frozen Four crowd at an NHL venue (see Ford Field note above). Disclosure- we sat upper deck and on an end so I'm not sure if that had an impact but Thursday was a bit lacking for atmostophere. Notre Dame seemed have the most fans but not much to cheer for during their game. Saturday was better and lots of Duluth fans made the trip for the championship game. They were the more vocal group throughout the game but more Pios fans were there than I expected. It was one of the best non-UND championships I've seen live. The UC had an atrium attached and served beer in there which should be a requirement for all potentially cold weather frozen fours going forward. 

18 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

To be fair, lots of teams wind up with the "unfinished business" slogan.  Quinnipiac has unfinished business...so does Harvard...UMass-Lowell...Michigan would like to win one for Red...BU...Miami since they lost the title game...most teams never get a second chance.  

Yeah, and teams like St. Cloud who haven't lost many players have a little determination not to have us end their season again.  Bottom line is to be playing your best at that time of year like we were this year, and hope that the cards fall right.  

Tell me if you've heard this one before:

Tournament championship game.
Duluth in attack zone.
Hard, questionable contact in corner.
Opponent defenseman left in agony.
Defenseman clearly in distress with orthopedic issue. 
Defenseman does not return to game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Tell me if you've heard this one before:

Tournament championship game.
Duluth in attack zone.
Hard, questionable contact in corner.
Opponent defenseman left in agony.
Defenseman clearly in distress with orthopedic issue. 
Defenseman does not return to game. 

If you're talking about the broken leg, I didn't think that was a particularly terrible hit. 

Duluth plays up to a line, and over.  But we sometimes play that way as well.  We dodged some bullets last year with a couple of the hits, the Olson one in particular.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

If you're talking about the broken leg, I didn't think that was a particularly terrible hit. 

I didn't like the little high tug by the left hand on the left shoulder to throw the man off balance as he went into the boards.