SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

53 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

But, it's not about cutting football.  It's about doing what's right. 

"It's the right thing to do..."

"Be on the right side of history..."

Fantastic politi-speech with great emotional buzz words...now all we need is the Easter Bunny to bring us the $20 million golden egg, right?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Again why? We can just pick up cheaper men sports that wouldn't lose nearly as much money. After all this is really about money isn't it? If it's only about money then we need to get rid of football. Let's find some cheaper sports for men to play. Maybe badminton. Or bowling.

No what this is really about is a woman's sport that was  losing a lot of money.

I hope they win that lawsuit and it wouldn't shock me if they did.

It would shock the hell out of me if it did.

It's about money and Title IX.  Both are constants.  Both work together in an athletic department.

Just now, Hayduke said:

Lol.  Face facts folks. Those girls lawyers have a good case.

No, they don't.  If they do win then UND would need to get Baseball back cause the numbers would be completely f-ked and another lawsuit would be coming. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Fantastic politi-speech with great emotional buzz words...now all we need is the Easter Bunny to bring us the $20 million golden egg, right?

"Ms. McGarry there's a Mr. Kennedy on line 4.........he said he needs your assistance and that he's kind of a big deal".

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cberkas said:

If they want to reinstate the women's hockey program then there should be a ticket drive, like the NHL has made expansion teams do, for 5,000 tickets. They can get that many people to want tickets then reinstate the program.

:silly: 

Well, that's not quite as lofty of a goal as you might think!  If you subtract the number of 2016-2017 season-ticket holders from that 5,000 figure, you only need 4,980 more and we're good-to-go!

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Good luck replacing 63 scholarships with one other sport. Good luck getting 10,000 people to attend a new UND sport. Good luck replacing the lost champions club memberships and apparel sales. Good luck replacing the 100 student members of the team and their friends who no longer enroll. Good luck getting the football alumni and football fan alumni to continue donating to the school. Good luck. 

But Olympians............

17 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Ever notice how people who say right thing to do and right side of history are usually 100% wrong and are just trying to get someone else's money 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Lol.  Face facts folks. Those girls lawyers have a good case.

Based on what? He's stating UND wasn't in compliance with Title IX becuase they aren't meeting one of the prongs. They are only required to meet one and they already meet two. UND hired a firm who specializes specifically in TItle IX before they made any moves. I'm going to go with the firm who specializes in that over an activist lawyer who's expertise is employement/labor law. Read up on the guy, he seems like a real treat. Or check his Twitter bio, where he claims to be a "Radical Oakland activist, enemy of capital, civil rights lawyer and grandfather of three." Or him defending his client who was beating someone with a bike lock by completely ignoring video evidence.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

Ever notice how people who say right thing to do and right side of history are usually 100% wrong and are just trying to get someone else's money 

I agree. 

Time to cut football also then.  

Of course if you don't agree you realize you're a hypocrite

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

You shut your misogynistic, racist, sexist mouth!    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Nothing in the last 15 years back that statement up. The community supports men's hockey and it wasn't for the lack of funding for the women's team. Volleyball had more fans/attendance and ticket revenue than WIH. Wishing it to happen doesn't make it so. 

Mentioning 15 years, compare Clarkson to UND in women’s hockey for the first 15. It’s the same window of time. 

Kelowna, British Columbia
Brandon, Manitoba
Eden Prairie, MN
Lakeville, MN
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Orivesi, Finland
Mankato, MN
Strathmore, Alberta
Penticon, British Columbia
Excelsior, MN
St. Louis, MN

Just want to point out where the people filing the lawsuit against the NDUS (or basically the state of North Dakota) reside, trying to force them to subsidize $2 million plus dollars per year so 25 girls not from North Dakota can play hockey. Ironically enough, there was actually 1 player from ND on the team at the time and she's not listed in the lawsuit even though she was a freshman at the time the program was cut.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

... now all we need is the Easter Bunny to bring us the $20 million golden egg, right?

Kennedy quoted the number as $60 million to endow the program to Mark Chipman . He didn’t bite. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, cberkas said:

And he said nope, $60 million could get me a couple good players for the Jets.

I heard a rumor from a friend that said a prominent UND alum offered UND 10 million for an endowment for women’s hockey and it was rejected by president Kennedy. Has anyone else heard this? 

42 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Ms. McGarry there's a Mr. Kennedy on line 4.........he said he needs your assistance and that he's kind of a big deal".

"Ms. McGarry, let's not let $60 million stand between us and being on the right side of history, ok?  You and I both know that it's the right thing to do."

CLICK.

"Ms. McGarry?  Hello?  Ms. McGarry?"

Hayduke, in my perfect world we’d only play sports that were revenue benign to UNDs budget.

But we can’t per the NCAA. We must play some revenue losers. 

And the Feds say you must meet Title IX.

So, you have to play and make budget and make Title IX. 

If you’re an expensive sport you’d better provide revenue to keep your cost and cost per participant down. 

1 minute ago, Goon said:

I heard a rumor from a friend that said a prominent UND alum offered UND 10 million for an endowment for women’s hockey and it was rejected by president Kennedy. Has anyone else heard this? 

Schlossman would have been all over it if it was anywhere near truthy. Thus I find the rumor to be just that. 

53 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Again why? We can just pick up cheaper men sports that wouldn't lose nearly as much money. After all this is really about money isn't it? If it's only about money then we need to get rid of football. Let's find some cheaper sports for men to play. Maybe badminton. Or bowling.

No what this is really about is a woman's sport that was  losing a lot of money.

I hope they win that lawsuit and it wouldn't shock me if they did.

This is the same guy that got the former UMD women’s coach a bunch of money. I have to admit that Ineqs shocked by the outcome.