SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

But not growing enough for Central and Red River to field separate teams. So if they reinstate the program how many of the people on social media screaming to reinstate it are going to pay a ticket (provided it’s no longer free admission) and show up. Hopefully more than the 200 that found their way to a playoff game.

Yeah.  

I remember the overflowing attendances we had for track meets and golf tournaments. Yeah I also remember waiting in line Wilkerson to get tickets to those track meets and golf tournaments.

Ah, memories....

• Upvote 2

So are they saying UND violated the dreaded Prong 3 of Title IX?

The lawsuit alleges that UND violated Title IX through the selection of sports and level of competition.

Title IX does not require schools to offer particular sports or the same sports, but it requires that schools “effectively accommodate” student interests and abilities.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Nothing in the last 15 years back that statement up. The community supports men's hockey. Volleyball had more fans/attendance and ticket revenue than WIH. Wishing it to happen doesn't make it so. 

I remember that UND vs. NDSU tennis match that had to be moved to Memorial Stadium because of the huge overflow crowds. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

I remember that UND vs. NDSU tennis match that had to be moved to Memorial Stadium because of the huge overflow crowds. 

Women's tennis literally costs 10% of what WIH did. Tennis probably draws more fan per dollar invested, so I guess there is that. 

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with restoring the program under certain conditions. No scholarships, 2 coaches with neither making more than the lowest paid mbb assistant, don't get nice locker room and perks back (they stay with soccer or whomever), games played on the Olympic sheet, bus everywhere, REA spend no more on advertising the program than what it spends on the lowest of wbb, vb, or soccer, and get a $20 million endowment. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Dont see any way this goes anywhere, I think UND should be fielding a womens Hockey team, this is not how it ever gets done again.

They really want results, start fundraising  to endow a program. This lawsuit has zero chance of winning or garnering public support. 

I see it more as a FU at the admin that cut the program. I see no positive at all in this.

Truthfully, this lawsuit is about 15 months too late.  It should have been filed about a week after the sport was cut and gotten the swim team to join in on it.

This is a long shot of long shots. There are no winners yes, but what do they care? Do they really lose anything by not doing this?  

Fundraising?  They could have asked 1 person to do it and it would have been done (because $60 million is chump change to a billionaire)

Even if the program got brought back, then what?  It just says to reinstate the program... it doesn't say how.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm fine with restoring the program under certain conditions. No scholarships, 2 coaches with neither making more than the lowest paid mbb assistant, don't get nice locker room and perks back (they stay with soccer or whomever), games played on the Olympic sheet, bus everywhere, REA spend no more on advertising the program than what it spends on the lowest of wbb, vb, or soccer, and get a $20 million endowment. 

I could live with that, but there needs to be someone watching their budget. 

49 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Thank you for your $2 million donation to fund the program for 2018-2019.  Can we count on your continued support for 2019-2020?

I found that money by dropping FCS football.  If you want to talk wasted money, there you go. 

But, it's not about cutting football.  It's about doing what's right.  Or, we can cut football.  Denver University doesn't need it.  

From the Bismark Tribune:

Football at UND had the largest gap with revenues of $1.8 million and expenses of $4.1 million.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Me thinks that this is going to be a "go back to the way things were" approach. 

18 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

I found that money by dropping FCS football.  If you want to talk wasted money, there you go. 

But, it's not about cutting football.  It's about doing what's right.  Or, we can cut football.  Denver University doesn't need it.  

Football at UND had the largest gap with revenues of $1.8 million and expenses of $4.1 million.

Dropping football would be against Title IX for men. So try again.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Dropping football would be against Title IX for men. So try again.

Why? We can just pick up other sports like men's soccer or men's lacrosse. That would be cheaper. If that isn't cheaper let's find other sports that are cheaper for men.  After all isn't all about saving money? Or is there some hypocracy to this?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

That would be the slam dunk mother of all lawsuits. I think I could lead that one.

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

That would be the slam dunk mother of all lawsuits. I think I could lead that one.

Again why? We can just pick up cheaper men sports that wouldn't lose nearly as much money. After all this is really about money isn't it? If it's only about money then we need to get rid of football. Let's find some cheaper sports for men to play. Maybe badminton. Or bowling.

No what this is really about is a woman's sport that was  losing a lot of money.

I hope they win that lawsuit and it wouldn't shock me if they did.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Again why? We can just pick up cheaper men sports that wouldn't lose nearly as much money. After all this is really about money isn't it? If it's only about money then we need to get rid of football. Let's find some cheaper sports for men to play. Maybe badminton. Or bowling.

If you really want to talk equality and money at the same time, take a look at net cost per student athlete. Oh, and make sure the football team gets credit for their Champions Club donations that aren't included in the numbers you are quoting. Hell, the football team was already subsidizing women's hockey with 52% of their ticket revenues going to cover rent at the REA which is alot more than the WIH was contributing. 

• Upvote 2

If they want to reinstate the women's hockey program then there should be a ticket drive, like the NHL has made expansion teams do, for 5,000 ticket. They can get that many people to want tickets then reinstate the program.

:silly: 

Good luck replacing 63 scholarships with one other sport. Good luck getting 10,000 people to attend a new UND sport. Good luck replacing the lost champions club memberships and apparel sales. Good luck replacing the 100 student members of the team and their friends who no longer enroll. Good luck getting the football alumni and football fan alumni to continue donating to the school. Good luck. 

• Upvote 4