SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

So UND cuts women's hockey.

The State (DOT) is looking at closing close to a dozen highway maintenance offices in just SE ND.

Let me put that another way: They are looking at pulling in the snow plows and shops from all the rural areas. Yes, ND can't afford to plow the rural highways. 

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Anyone else find it weird how quiet the REA is about this?  Maybe I missed it but haven't heard anything on their end.

So much for the "Women's hockey was wanted by Ralph and isn't going anywhere" argument.

That argument was said by only one person, but he said it over and over and over. Obviously wasn't true, which people tried to tell him, but he really stuck to it. I'll never understand things like that, preaching something like it's fact, when you have no clue.

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So UND cuts women's hockey.

The State (DOT) is looking at closing close to a dozen highway maintenance offices in just SE ND.

Let me put that another way: They are looking at pulling in the snow plows and shops from all the rural areas. Yes, ND can't afford to plow the rural highways. 

Don't worry Al Carlson will have a solution to your point.

(and he's on my side) ???

14 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

"The University of North Dakota administration elected to cut the women's hockey program with little to no warning to coaches, players, or other staff  members."

Seriously??  The University has been saying they may cut programs for almost a year.  Even last year there was a chance the program might be cut.  When the March deadline was set months ago, those in the womens hockey knew that there was a possibility their program would be cut.

Also, all this "UND didn't have the decency to inform the team the program was cut, they had to find out on Twitter" crap that Jocelyn Lamoureux and others are continuing to push is complete BS.  If you want to blame someone for that, blame Schlossman and the rest of the people who tweeted it out before the meeting with the team at 2:45 yesterday.

I agree man. Then you have the Facebook people writing "Oh I'm so embarrassed that und cut women's hockey." No... you should be embarrassed that they threw away $1.5 million per year!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, HockeyMom said:

This thread and its comments make me even sadder than the program being cut.

How it was done was completely classless.  And to read that the photo of the players being on the ice was a lie...come on!  Former players found out about it and started showing up at The Ralph-that's how they knew something was up. 

Have some compassion, people.  These are UND athletes, recruits and coaches that had their lives completely turned around yesterday.  And they found out about it on Twitter.  

Athletics has been under a microscope for a long time.  Take away the months of speculation, and lucky guesses, by people mostly not in the know.  You still have the unavoidable leaks.  Sure, some people may have learned about certain developments unofficially via Twitter (it's 2017), but the University called a team meeting and its first official action BEFORE the first public statement was to tell the players in person.  What would you have had the University do differently?  There are no "secrets" in a public institution; that's fantasyland BS.  And if there were, people would be crying foul because everything was done in the dark by a few at the top.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Athletics has been under a microscope for a long time.  Take away the months of speculation, and lucky guesses, by people mostly not in the know.  You still have the unavoidable leaks.  Sure, some people may have learned about certain developments unofficially via Twitter (it's 2017), but the University called a team meeting and its first official action BEFORE the first public statement was to tell the players in person.  What would you have had the University do differently?  There are no "secrets" in a public institution; that's fantasyland BS.  And if there were, people would be crying foul because everything was done in the dark by a few at the top.

Amen, Brother!  Preach it.

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Maybe Ed Schafer should have cut it last year with baseball then no one would be talking about it now. This time next year women's hockey won't be missed.

4 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

I agree man. Then you have the Facebook people writing "Oh I'm so embarrassed that und cut women's hockey." No... you should be embarrassed that they threw away $1.5 million per year!

Minnesota has $2 million difference between their revenue and expenses as well.  It's not embarrassing that UND cut women's hockey, it's embarrassing how it went down.

• Upvote 2

Just now, HockeyMom said:

Minnesota has $2 million difference between their revenue and expenses as well.  It's not embarrassing that UND cut women's hockey, it's embarrassing how it went down.

Tell us a good time to say the program will be cut? Mid season? Before the first game of last season? 

12 minutes ago, HockeyMom said:

This thread and its comments make me even sadder than the program being cut.

How it was done was completely classless.  And to read that the photo of the players being on the ice was a lie...come on!  Former players found out about it and started showing up at The Ralph-that's how they knew something was up. 

Have some compassion, people.  These are UND athletes, recruits and coaches that had their lives completely turned around yesterday.  And they found out about it on Twitter.  

Compassion is important, but so is being fiscally responsible. 

Well, since you feel it was completely classless, would you care to provide any alternatives as to how it should have been done?

It's pretty easy to criticize when you don't have to be the one coming up with solutions. 

8 minutes ago, HockeyMom said:

Minnesota has an athletic budget of $111 million, that $2 million is 1.8% of their budget.
UND has an athletic budget of $24 million (4.5x smaller), that $2 million is over 8.3% of their budget.

UND was required to cut $1.3 million of their athletic budget because they have a state subsidy of over 43% to supplement their athletic budget. UM takes a 6% subsidy on their athletic budget.

These are not comparable situations.

• Upvote 4

Just now, jdub27 said:

Minnesota has an athletic budget of $111 million, that $2 million is 1.8% of their budget.
UND has an athletic budget of $24 million (4.5x smaller), that $2 million is over 8.3% of their budget.

In addition, UND coaching staffs in Mens and Womens BB and Football are grossly underpaid compared to peer institutions.  Those days are behind us now.

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Compassion is important, but so is being fiscally responsible. 

Well, since you feel it was completely classless, would you care to provide any alternatives as to how it should have been done?

It's pretty easy to criticize when you don't have to be the one coming up with solutions. 

Start with this: Inform the team, players and recruit flying in from Boston more than 45 minutes before a press conference announcing it.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

it takes away from the many other championship-level athletic programs at UND

Now that's funny!

Championship level programs at UND?  I can come up with one that I could pass the red face test with.  Other than that you would get laughed out of the bar.

By the way, we are a hockey school.  

• Downvote 6

Just now, HockeyMom said:

Start with this: Inform the team, players and recruit flying in from Boston more than 45 minutes before a press conference announcing it.

Hindsight.  

You tell one person, they leak it on Twitter.  You literally can't win.  

The WCHA was told, Todd Milewski found out and leaked it.  It's just how it is these days.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Now that's funny!

Championship level programs at UND.  I got one that I could pass the red face test with.  Other than that you would get laughed out of the bar.

You should maybe reconsider which bars you are going to then. 

You may have been outside of the country, but UND just had four conference championship teams this season.

Women's hockey was not one of them.

National championships are hard to come by. Your argument is flawed in that many top programs around the country should apparently be "laughed at".

Should the Oregon Ducks cut football? Should Gonzaga cut their basketball programs? No national championships to speak of with those examples. 

Your standards are a bit off. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Now that's funny!

Championship level programs at UND?  I can come up with one that I could pass the red face test with.  Other than that you would get laughed out of the bar.

By the way, we are a hockey school.  

A one-program hockey school.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HockeyMom said:

You realize in this day and age, with social media, that leaks are nearly inevitable and there will always be second guessing, right?

I understand this process is going to be very difficult for many people, especially those directly involved, but a single recruit is not worth the millions of dollars lost each year by UND's women's ice hockey program. Sorry, but it is the cold, hard truth. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Hindsight.  

You tell one person, they leak it on Twitter.  You literally can't win.  

The WCHA was told, Todd Milewski found out and leaked it.  It's just how it is these days.

Too bad they didn't let the program know before/when they told the WCHA.

• Upvote 2