SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

They earned those World Championships. They earned those Olympic Medals. So please don't make it sound like those things were handed to them on a silver platter. Did the ice time at REA help them achieve those things? Absolutely. But the Lammy twins are fighting a much bigger battle than getting ice time. They are fighting for future generations of female hockey players, who may not have the same opportunities they have had if they don't speak out. And they have been very grateful for the support they have gotten from everybody in this area; so please do not imply that they are ungrateful and spoiled. Everyone who knows them and/or has worked with them will tell you otherwise.

I supported eliminating WIH because of the staggering amount of red ink it took to keep it going. But I also support the Lammy twins for promoting and advocating for access to hockey for girls and women. That is what will make women's hockey more competitive, popular and yes, affordable, in the long-run.

The point I was making is off the sports that got cut, and all the athletes pas and present that played those sports, the Lammy's are the only two that continue to bring up the issue and criticize UND every chance they get.  UND doesn't have a women's hockey program anymore.  Is that denying girls an opportunity?  Sure.  But UND women's hockey isn't the only "future of female hockey players."  Instead of being bitter that UND dropped the program, they should be focusing on other avenues that can expand the sport of womens hockey.  UND having a womens hockey program certainly wasn't the only way to do that.

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Anyone want to give Peter a different cause to go after and send him NDSU's M/F participation numbers? He might be onto something with the second half of his tweet and he has my full support.

I am surprised that Ohio State hasn’t fired him for talking about UND’s former women’s hockey program. I mean he does have a job to do at Ohio State.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

I am surprised that Ohio State hasn’t fired him for talking about UND’s former women’s hockey program. I mean he does have a job to do at Ohio State.

By looking at his Twitter profile (UND shirt, Location: Grand Forks, Profile link to UNDsports.com) you sure wouldn't think he was the associate head coach at OSU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Schlossman on the Herald tomorrow morning:

"Fighting Hawks men's hockey team advances to Frozen Faceoff...women's program not reinstated yet."

With interviews from Brad Berry and the Lameroux twins.