SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's a $60 million endowment to restore WIH. So, ... What are gold medals going for on eBay these days?

Talk is cheap; takes money to play hockey.

Goal post has moved. If 60 million was raised 80 would be the new 60.

#room4one

• Downvote 2

17 hours ago, cberkas said:

She's been going on a twitter rant, but facts don't mean anything to her. She did seem to contradict herself too. 

But Kevin Vaughn, their former hockey operations guy, tweeted back that she is blasting everyone with 'facts'.  I didn't see many facts in her rants, just pure emotion and entitlement-driven statements.  I did, however, see Gabs called the program "successful" and it had a "bright future".   :0

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

But Kevin Vaughn, their former hockey operations guy, tweeted back that she is blasting everyone with 'facts'.  I didn't see many facts in her rants, just pure emotion and entitlement-driven statements.  I did, however, see Gabs called the program "successful" and it had a "bright future".   :0

So much so that Britta Curl had zero interest to come to UND

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

So much so that Britta Curl had zero interest to come to UND

Others are more up to speed on the Curl to UND story than me, but if I remember correctly, Idalski told her she can't play at UND unless she left her ND high school program and took up a higher level before UND.

If it is accurate that the LaMoo twins required Idalski to be the coach before they would tranfer from Minn to UND, then I ponder if their coming here brought about the demise of the program?   Does not take a rocket scientist to see Idalski did in the program with his visions of grandeur.  But I slept in a second rate hotel, so maybe I should stick to beer and sausages instead of bread and circuses...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Others are more up to speed on the Curl to UND story than me, but if I remember correctly, Idalski told her she can't play at UND unless she left her ND high school program and took up a higher level before UND.

If it is accurate that the LaMoo twins required Idalski to be the coach before they would tranfer from Minn to UND, then I ponder if their coming here brought about the demise of the program?   Does not take a rocket scientist to see Idalski did in the program with his visions of grandeur.  But I slept in a second rate hotel, so maybe I should stick to beer and sausages instead of bread and circuses...

My recollection is that is was more about Rivard being replaced, but I could be wrong.   

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He was named UND head coach long before the Lammy's came to UND.

I believe Shawn-O is stating that Rivard was head coach before lamoos hit campus...   I have to wonder why the bleeding was not slowed, obviously most sports bleed money, but seems like it went from no one noticing to chopping block really fast.  Could replacing Idalski with a mere mortal, cutting recruiting in Scandanvia, etc have kept the program.  Obviously the state's budget issues weighed in heavily, but seems like cuts before cutting the program would have been an option.

4 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I believe Shawn-O is stating that Rivard was head coach before lamoos hit campus...   I have to wonder why the bleeding was not slowed, obviously most sports bleed money, but seems like it went from no one noticing to chopping block really fast.  Could replacing Idalski with a mere mortal, cutting recruiting in Scandanvia, etc have kept the program.  Obviously the state's budget issues weighed in heavily, but seems like cuts before cutting the program would have been an option.

Peter Elander said he kind of knew the program was getting cut when his contract wasn’t going to get renewed. So how did Idalski not know this?

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

For all you folks on Sioux Sports that are done tearing apart women’s hockey and ripping on people for not wanting to lose jobs or lose the team they played on feel free to DM me and actually have a civil conversation I’ll be patiently waiting

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I am not sure the Twins were only coming if Idalski was the coach, but they were not coming with Rivard here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Title 9 worked against them. 

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Idalski compared that gold medal win to the 1980 Miracle On Ice in what it's going to do for women's hockey in not only America, but the world.  :0

This just in: they were 100% GUARANTEED a silver medal before the tournament started.  They happened to win in a shootout to get the gold. 

#growingthesport

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Kevin, feel free to create a user name and password here and PM me directly.  Nobody WANTED women's hockey to go away, but that $2 million-a-year albatross around UND's neck was hard to ignore.

Bemidji State vs UMD yesterday in women's WCHA playoffs...FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE ATTENDEES!  News flash:  North Dakota isn't the only school that's going to have trouble keeping women's hockey afloat.  Call it a hunch.    

speak for yourself..no blanket statements please