SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Good questions Blackheart, was our women's team so much worse off revenue-wise than other women teams in the country? Or was it more poorly managed? I think it was mainly the expense end of the Income stmt that did them in. Probably should have managed that deficit more actively and honestly that falls on coaches, ADs, etc not the players. They had to see that a $2M deficit/yr is unsustainable. The short sightedness is astounding. The players have a right to be angry but a lot of it should be at their coaches, AD, and others looking at the budget every year. Just my .02

Coaching, like you said, which led to ZERO success in postseason.  Easy to axe a program that doesn't have any substance behind it.

5 hours ago, moser53 said:

Homer your in Fargo right?  You should have coffee with Dave  Piepkorn or Mike Williams.they can tell you the grand plan for FM. These 2 guys want to help take Fargo NDSU to the next level.i can respect there passion and love and drive to get there. But

I've been posting for a few years now that for them to get there part of the plan is to put NDSU on another level higher level than UND. Since 1999 everything I've seen points in that direction.and it hasn't been a fair fight. 

To your post the question is when will SU  start D1 Mens and Women's hockey they could probably tell you. 201 fans with you. Ha

I will gladly tell them as a Fargo resident that I think women’s hockey at NDSU is a great idea.  My daughter would love the exposure it will bring their university.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Fixed your post. :)

By the comments on Facebook you would’ve thought there was thousands of people about to picket the AD office to reinstate women’s hockey. One guy even saying they should cut football in favor of women’s hockey because UND is hockey, of course he doesn’t realize it’s men’s hockey not women’s.

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Coaching, like you said, which led to ZERO success in postseason.  Easy to axe a program that doesn't have any substance behind it.

I think that's a cop out though. Plenty of programs had less success than ours.  The major difference seems to be that they weren't given blank checks with no long term sustainable plan for the program.

In some ways I think Title IX worked against our women's program.  A more realistic plan would have been to play in a smaller rink in town with reduced expenses for equipment, travel, COACHING SALARY, etc.  Then when(or if) you grow the program where it's popular enough to minimize the loss or at a bare minimum break even to offset the men's team's net income(I believe $300k last year?), then you can look at moving back into The Ralph.  Title IX would never allow this to happen due to the requirements to have similar facilities, equipment etc between men and women but I bet if the option were given to every single one of those women, they would take it in a heartbeat over not having a program.

Again, I can see why the players are mad and feel like the rug was pulled out from under them(and rightfully so) but I think there were many people in this chain of events that could have prevented this by taking a step back and using some common sense.  And like I said, maybe the combination of Title IX and our amazing arena and the operating expenses that come with it put the women's program in a no-win situation and they were doomed from the beginning. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Agree...Most athletic programs (mens and womens), outside of a select few, do not make money. 

So how does Bemidji or St Clown afford women's programs and UND does not?  Playing/practicing in the REA is probably a big cost driver.  Just turning on the lights in there on a game day is big bucks.  Hiring people to run concessions and take tickets costs money.  Hell, the Gofer women don't play at Mariucci, they play at a much smaller Ridder Arena.  Bringing in Euro's to play versus local kids has to have more cost.  There had to be some more economical options for this program but they  were not deemed viable for one reason or another.  Losing roughly $2 million per year on this one program was just too much for UND to swallow.

So how does Bemidji and St  Cloud  Duluth pay the bills? How many sports do they have. Maybe a sportswriter in one of those towns can shed some light,  

32 minutes ago, moser53 said:

So how does Bemidji and St  Cloud  Duluth pay the bills? How many sports do they have. Maybe a sportswriter in one of those towns can shed some light,  

They did. And the answer was they have major costs saving in their athletic department by being Division 2.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

They did. And the answer was they have major costs saving in their athletic department by being Division 2.

And those schools are required to sponsor a D1 women's sport to match men's hockey (and the sport needs to be funded equitably compared to men's hockey). UND got rid of that requirement in a sense with the full D1 move. 

There is plenty of collegiate hockey opportunity for females in this area at a variety of skill levels...D III,...D I....How many D I female hockey players has ND produced....Lammy twins, sure, but they 'honed' their skills @ Shattuck , where the competitive level was far better than ND high school hockey....thinking there maybe a girl from Bismarck playing D I someplace...hockey for girls hasn't taken ahold in the state....GF has 1 team for both high schools, same for West Fargo, and some other of the bigger high schools also co op to field a team...

It didn't make financial sense for UND to continue....and why no other  ND colleges have  begun an NCAA sanctioned program...Hockey, for most Amercans, crosses their 'frontal lobes'  only every 4 years........fun to watch tho!!!!  

I posted to a remark in the Olympic thread but may be more appropriate here, I apologize for posting it twice.  Here it is:

"

Yes, congratulations to the Olympian Lamoureux twins. They had one hell of a gold metal game, Monique scores in the third period to tie the game which then goes to overtime and Jocelyne scores in the 6th shoot out round to end the game, the USA team takes home the GOLD. It was definitely a team effort, and the twins steal our UND hearts. This brings back recent memories of many past comments regarding UND Women's Hockey, "but they had Olympians?"  That they surely did and also past UND players on this years Finish team.  Hopefully in memory of UND's past Women's Hockey Program, this will help leave many fond memories.  

gettyimages-922817990-e1519297673649.jpg?w=610&h=343&crop=1

Lamoureux twins shine in Olympic Final

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/02/22/lamoureux-twins-shine-in-olympic-final/

"

• Upvote 2

Nationally, this story has already passed, but as it pertains with the vocal local minority getting excited about UND cutting Women's hockey last year again, that will pass in a couple weeks. I only say a couple weeks, because I have a feeling the Lammy's / Schlossman want to make a little noise, before it gets buried forever.

13 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Good questions Blackheart, was our women's team so much worse off revenue-wise than other women teams in the country? Or was it more poorly managed? I think it was mainly the expense end of the Income stmt that did them in. Probably should have managed that deficit more actively and honestly that falls on coaches, ADs, etc not the players. They had to see that a $2M deficit/yr is unsustainable. The short sightedness is astounding. The players have a right to be angry but a lot of it should be at their coaches, AD, and others looking at the budget every year. Just my .02

Frost said he knew Minnesota’s women’s team was on the chopping block until they got a donor to give them money. It me it sounds like it was very recent. All women’s hockey programs lose money and only 3 had a profit out of all the DI women’s hockey programs.

34 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/genrel/auto_pdf/2017-18/misc_non_event/2017NCAAReport.pdf

FY 2017 Gopher women's ticket sales were just over $110,000.  

So averaging $5500 per game over 20 home games. At an average of $6/ticket(GA tix are $4, Reserved are $8), they sold on average about 900 tickets a game. 

40 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Frost said he knew Minnesota’s women’s team was on the chopping block until they got a donor to give them money. It me it sounds like it was very recent. All women’s hockey programs lose money and only 3 had a profit out of all the DI women’s hockey programs.

That's interesting to hear.

17 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So averaging $5500 per game over 20 home games. At an average of $6/ticket(GA tix are $4, Reserved are $8), they sold on average about 900 tickets a game. 

It was in an interview around when UND cut their program.

47 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Minnesota would NEVER want to deal with the fallout of 86'ing that program.  They'll find any way possible to keep it going, no matter what the cost.  

9 hours ago, John W. said:

There is plenty of collegiate hockey opportunity for females in this area at a variety of skill levels...D III,...D I....How many D I female hockey players has ND produced....Lammy twins, sure, but they 'honed' their skills @ Shattuck , where the competitive level was far better than ND high school hockey....thinking there maybe a girl from Bismarck playing D I someplace...hockey for girls hasn't taken ahold in the state....GF has 1 team for both high schools, same for West Fargo, and some other of the bigger high schools also co op to field a team...

It didn't make financial sense for UND to continue....and why no other  ND colleges have  begun an NCAA sanctioned program...Hockey, for most Amercans, crosses their 'frontal lobes'  only every 4 years........fun to watch tho!!!!  

Do you think the single team in GF, WF, Fargo are a response to the super team in   Bismarck?

Just a reminder to all the Twitter crusaders that are now demanding the reinstatement of the Women's Hockey program: 

If that were to happen UND would instantly face the easiest slam dunk of a Title IX lawsuit ever from the Males and in turn, Baseball would have to be reinstated immediately to even come close to evening it out.  Not happening.

Funny how Women's Hockey fans forgot all about Title IX when it didn't help save their program.  In fact, its actually one of the main reasons why the program was cut.  Crazy.

6 hours ago, AJS said:

Nationally, this story has already passed, but as it pertains with the vocal local minority getting excited about UND cutting Women's hockey last year again, that will pass in a couple weeks. I only say a couple weeks, because I have a feeling the Lammy's / Schlossman want to make a little noise, before it gets buried forever.

The story of cutting Women's hockey will mostly pass but this story of UND Women's hockey players winning the GOLD will not.