SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

On October 4, 2017 at 7:12 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Kennedy and Faison were just being nice to NDSU when they go FBS, as NDSU can now have WIH free and clear of any state competition.

D1 W. Hockey at SU what are the odds?  Legacy $ has to go somewhere.

How long B4 the NDSU  Club Women's Hockry program goes D1? And what really good well thought excuses are we going to read on here that it had nothing to do with UND cutting the Women's program. 

If every college had to cut sports because of lack of buts in the seats. Athletic directors would be pulling there hair out looking for games.atleast on  the lower levels.

when NDSU went D1 SDSU followed for one reason being state pride. They said SD would be the only state not D1 so they said we'll find the $. Women's Hockey was state pride at UND.

ND GOP  is the party of choice of most on this site telling by the lack of questioning what has gone on with UND since 1999. Circle the wagons around our guys. Dems do it with Hillary and on this board with the GOP. What's the truth with all this stuff good question.i call it like I see it wrong or right.

#90sfootball

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, homer said:

I think NDSU should start women’s hockey because UND dropped it.  It would be a great story for them and give them lots of publicity.  200 fans would absolutely love it.  

Homer your in Fargo right?  You should have coffee with Dave  Piepkorn or Mike Williams.they can tell you the grand plan for FM. These 2 guys want to help take Fargo NDSU to the next level.i can respect there passion and love and drive to get there. But

I've been posting for a few years now that for them to get there part of the plan is to put NDSU on another level higher level than UND. Since 1999 everything I've seen points in that direction.and it hasn't been a fair fight. 

To your post the question is when will SU  start D1 Mens and Women's hockey they could probably tell you. 201 fans with you. Ha

11 hours ago, darell1976 said:

The first challenge for our new AD....how to handle this issue. You know his office will be bombarded with calls from media and the dozens of women hockey fans that never attend games.

Fixed your post. :)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Why do people continue to act like cutting women's hockey was a personal grudge or something. Yes, it sucks. I wish they could have retained the sport as well. At the end of the day, the people making some of these decisions are accountable for more than just athletics, or 1 sport in particular. Now, I'm not saying they couldn't have looked at some other avenues of cutting cost/increasing revenue/etc, and maybe they did. But this does seem to get blow out of proportion.

Agree...Most athletic programs (mens and womens), outside of a select few, do not make money. 

So how does Bemidji or St Clown afford women's programs and UND does not?  Playing/practicing in the REA is probably a big cost driver.  Just turning on the lights in there on a game day is big bucks.  Hiring people to run concessions and take tickets costs money.  Hell, the Gofer women don't play at Mariucci, they play at a much smaller Ridder Arena.  Bringing in Euro's to play versus local kids has to have more cost.  There had to be some more economical options for this program but they  were not deemed viable for one reason or another.  Losing roughly $2 million per year on this one program was just too much for UND to swallow.

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Agree...Most athletic programs (mens and womens), outside of a select few, do not make money. 

So how does Bemidji or St Clown afford women's programs and UND does not?  Playing/practicing in the REA is probably a big cost driver.  Just turning on the lights in there on a game day is big bucks.  Hiring people to run concessions and take tickets costs money.  Hell, the Gofer women don't play at Mariucci, they play at a much smaller Ridder Arena.  Bringing in Euro's to play versus local kids has to have more cost.  There had to be some more economical options for this program but they  were not deemed viable for one reason or another.  Losing roughly $2 million per year on this one program was just too much for UND to swallow.

Good questions Blackheart, was our women's team so much worse off revenue-wise than other women teams in the country? Or was it more poorly managed? I think it was mainly the expense end of the Income stmt that did them in. Probably should have managed that deficit more actively and honestly that falls on coaches, ADs, etc not the players. They had to see that a $2M deficit/yr is unsustainable. The short sightedness is astounding. The players have a right to be angry but a lot of it should be at their coaches, AD, and others looking at the budget every year. Just my .02

• Upvote 2