SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

You all act like no other athlete has ever posed nude before. Get over yourself. If you dislike the Lamoureux twins so much, stop talking about them.

I think their goal of posing nude was getting people to talk about them.  

• Upvote 2

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-women-s-hockey-conference-wcha-takes-unprecedented-turn-toward-crowdfunding/435628563/?om_rid=1570783689&om_mid=1570783689

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4300392-college-womens-hockey-wcha-turns-crowdfunding-help-offset-league-expenses#.WXDII6FwHWw.twitter

Kennedy saying he needed $60 million to save/bring back the women's team was fairly accurate.

The league is hoping to raise $50,000 toward its operations fund; $25,000 to help with costs for the Final Face-Off tournament; $25,000 to hold an awards banquet; $7,500 to reinstate its postgraduate scholarship; and $6,000 to fund the weekly and monthly awards. The league is also hoping to purchase new regular season and postseason championship trophies, with a goal of $5,000 for each.

That shouldn't cost anything.

Currently the Bulldogs and St. Cloud State are the only two schools capable of broadcasting regular season games for FSN, which takes feeds from Amsoil Arena and SCSU’s Herb Brooks National Hockey Center. Million said the league is hoping to expand those capabilities to other WCHA women’s rinks in the future.

You'd think Minnesota and Wisconsin should have the abilities to broadcast games.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I suppose the silver lining is that if someone wants a postseason trophy named after them and has $5,000 to spare, there's never been a better opportunity.

< in my very best-est arena PA guy voice >

And now, here to present the InHeavenThereIsNoBeer Women's WCHA Tournament Championship trophy is WWCHA commissioner Katie Million! 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I suppose the silver lining is that if someone wants a postseason trophy named after them and has $5,000 to spare, there's never been a better opportunity.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

< in my very best-est arena PA guy voice >

And now, here to present the InHeavenThereIsNoBeer Women's WCHA Tournament Championship trophy is WWCHA commissioner Katie Million! 

How about "The University of North Dakota Women's WCHA Tournament Championship Trophy" ;)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-women-s-hockey-conference-wcha-takes-unprecedented-turn-toward-crowdfunding/435628563/?om_rid=1570783689&om_mid=1570783689

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4300392-college-womens-hockey-wcha-turns-crowdfunding-help-offset-league-expenses#.WXDII6FwHWw.twitter

Kennedy saying he needed $60 million to save/bring back the women's team was fairly accurate.

That shouldn't cost anything.

You'd think Minnesota and Wisconsin should have the abilities to broadcast games.

I agree ...you think they'd be able to realize that in times of tight budgets, some things need to go such as the $25K banquet and weekly awards

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Wow.  The WCHA is actually resorting to crowd funding to keep the women's game alive.

18 hours ago, cberkas said:

They have raised $700 so far.

17 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm looking forward to Mr. Schlossman's take on this. 

< glances at watch > 

:whistling:

Joe fan:  WCHA plan to raise money is a disaster - just $700 in donations so far.  

Brad column headline:  WCHA well on its way to keeping women's hockey alive with $700 donation!

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Joe fan:  WCHA plan to raise money is a disaster - just $700 in donations so far.  

Brad column headline:  WCHA well on its way to keeping women's hockey alive with $700 donation!

"Early contributions to women's hockey online fundraiser show community is on board even if UND admin isn't."

7 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

They now have raised $1,835 out of $50,000 goal and increased the days from 40 to 236 and raised $25 for the postgrad scholarship.