SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=106968

"I was over at The Ralph today and noticed they have started taking down women’s hockey photos off the walls in the downstairs hallway. It looks very bare (and it looks awful with nothing on the walls).  Some of the historical items might be moved elsewhere in The Ralph." - Brad Schlossman

Cue up the "UND is erasing womens hockey from its history" twitter rants!! ;)

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=106968

"I was over at The Ralph today and noticed they have started taking down women’s hockey photos off the walls in the downstairs hallway. It looks very bare (and it looks awful with nothing on the walls).  Some of the historical items might be moved elsewhere in The Ralph." - Brad Schlossman

Cue up the "UND is erasing womens hockey from its history" twitter rants!! ;)

Also not a big secret but:

UND is going to move the soccer team into the women’s hockey locker room facilities this fall.

Addresses some of the facilities part of any Title IX questions. Big upgrade for the soccer team, hopefully they can continue to build on what they have been doing.

41 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Also not a big secret but:

Addresses some of the facilities part of any Title IX questions. Big upgrade for the soccer team, hopefully they can continue to build on what they have been doing.

Big?  Massive understatement, I'm sure Coach Logan is just ecstatic with that nice little recruiting chip. Now if they can just upgrade that field....

• Upvote 2

On 5/15/2017 at 0:29 PM, siouxkid12 said:

Are you kidding me with that garbage post? Hakstol brought a new level of hockey to the program and with that, he brought a lot of NHL talent. Hakstol was/is not arrogant, I have no idea where you would think that. Also, why would the ice be "thin" in Philly? They had a huge roster problem before he got there and they are in the midst of changing it up.

The bolded part of your post is what I have been telling people, but some people don't want to listen to it. In NCAA hockey, the head coach is pretty much king of the castle. In the NHL, that is not the case. You have an owner and GM to deal with and their decisions will impact you (either positively or negatively) in terms of success or lack thereof. Hakstol is doing the best he can with what he has to work with. You just don't go from salary cap hell to hoisting the Stanley Cup in two or three years.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Not as obnoxious as he previous articles.  It's a good article laying out the history of UND Womens hockey.  It's an article the team deserved to have written.  But hopefully the last we have to hear about the story.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not as obnoxious as he previous articles.  It's a good article laying out the history of UND Womens hockey.  It's an article the team deserved to have written.  But hopefully the last we have to hear about the story.  

Well until the OCR investigation is done... which should end right around 2019 at this rate

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Would be interesting to see how many tweets and stories he made about the team the year before the program was dumped, and how many after. 

15 years of WIH; 3 months with it eliminated; I'd guess with that article he just broke even. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I wonder who is working on the requiem for Men's and Women's  Swimming and Diving or who is writing the swan song on the de-funding of men's golf. Don't recall much of an obituary for wrestling back in the 1990s. Wayne's piece on the fall of baseball was pretty much a cursory one and done attempt ( I guess a program that had been around on again off again since at least the Phil Jackson era wasn't as deserving).

It still puzzles me how one flash-in-the-pan sports program spins off so much angst and garners so much ink in relation to its meager draw at the ticket office and mediocre conference standings.

How much of UND rep as a "hockey-only" school impacted this?  Does anyone bat an eye if UND was basketball-only or football-only or good at multiple sports for a long period of time?

Some people will never forgive Kennedy for this, he could raise standards, clean up campus, raise retention, graduation rates, could cure cancer, solve world hunger, solve climate change, create world peace and people would still rip him for cutting the program. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

How much of UND rep as a "hockey-only" school impacted this?  Does anyone bat an eye if UND was basketball-only or football-only or good at multiple sports for a long period of time?

Some people will never forgive Kennedy for this, he could raise standards, clean up campus, raise retention, graduation rates, could cure cancer, solve world hunger, solve climate change, create world peace and people would still rip him for cutting the program. 

Great points and better questions.  You'd think our "hockey-only" rep would have translated to more butts in seats on game days.  Or are we a "Men's hockey-only" school in these folks' eyes, and they are erroneously extrapolating that popularity to the women's game.  I for one believe we are truly more than a one-trick pony and that football, for sure, and maybe basketball could eventually give pucks a run for its money.... not supplanting men's hockey on the throne but making the throne bigger to fit one or both of the others.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Great points and better questions.  You'd think our "hockey-only" rep would have translated to more butts in seats on game days.  Or are we a "Men's hockey-only" school in these folks' eyes, and they are erroneously extrapolating that popularity to the women's game.  I for one believe we are truly more than a one-trick pony and that football, for sure, and maybe basketball could eventually give pucks a run for its money.... not supplanting men's hockey on the throne but making the throne bigger to fit one or both of the others.

Sounds a lot like UND in the mid-90's to me.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I actually regret not buying one, if I had known I might have grabbed a green one with that cursive style font.

I bought the white but wish I had that green one....my wife has a black and white womens sioux jersey from the 10-11 season...hindsight truely is 20/20

19 hours ago, Cratter said:

The twins and other usa women's hockey players posed nude for ESPN the magazine to help "further their cause" (more $ and equality?).

Well of course, they can't even afford clothes like the USA men's team can. 

• Upvote 2