SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

"How dare they cut a sport I never supported" seems to be the real story today.

It's pure math as Sicatoka rightly points out. However, the state of ND has not 1 but 2 reserve funds with each holding about 4 billion dollars. But those are for a "rainy day."

Apparently it's not raining hard enough yet.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, shep said:

"How dare they cut a sport I never supported" seems to be the real story today.

It's pure math as Sicatoka rightly points out. However, the state of ND has not 1 but 2 reserve funds with each holding about 4 billion dollars. But those are for a "rainy day."

Apparently it's not raining hard enough yet.

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — A North Dakota rainy-day fund that held more than $572 million in January is on the verge of being emptied due to lower-than-expected tax collections from depressed oil and farm commodity prices.

"There are no 'ifs,'" North Dakota Treasurer Kelly Schmidt said Friday. "We will drain it."

North Dakota, the nation's second-ranked oil producer, also has been stockpiling oil revenues in its Legacy Fund that was approved by voters in 2010 to set aside 30 percent of oil and gas tax collections. The Legislature is barred from spending any of the fund's assets until June 2017. After that, a two-thirds vote of the North Dakota House and Senate is needed to spend any of the fund's principal, of which no more than 15 percent can be withdrawn every two years.

Schmidt said the Legacy Fund will hold $3.8 billion with the June transfer of $28.3 million.

I don't think not funding college athletics constitutes a rainy day.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Besides Men's hockey and football, which is a long shot, woman's hockey is the only sport we had a chance to win a national championship.

The final home playoff series averaged 294 people per game.  

I understand the opportunity but there was virtually zero support for this program when it mattered.  

8 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) —

Schmidt said the Legacy Fund will hold $3.8 billion with the June transfer of $28.3 million.

Sounds like a lot of money but North Dakota has been spending that about every eight months recently.

26 minutes ago, homer said:

The final home playoff series averaged 294 people per game.  

I understand the opportunity but there was virtually zero support for this program when it mattered.  

Apparently Olympians aren't prestigious enough. And have a better chance than most of our sports to win a national championship doesn't matter.

I understand this was a budget issue but that doesn't mean I am not highly disappointed. But hey, at least I sport I don't give a !@#$ about was on national TV, go us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 14

10 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Apparently Olympians aren't prestigious enough. And have a better chance than most of our sports to win a national championship doesn't matter.

I understand this was a budget issue but that doesn't mean I am not highly disappointed. But hey, at least I sport I don't give a !@#$ about was on national TV, go us.

Women's hockey may not be in the Olympics much longer if there are only 2 teams that can win it every year. Kind of like UConn women's basketball, who cares anymore other than UConn fans!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I've seen a few posts pointing to a good chance they could have won a natty in the near future.  I would argue evaluating their chances of winning a natty could have led to the opposite conclusion. With perineal powers Minnesota and Wisconsin in the west and how the scheduling/pairwise works (or doesn't) for women's hockey it was a bit of a long shot. Several times UND was arguably the 3rd or 4th best team in the country and didn't even make the tourney. Unless they could find the magic bullet to all of a sudden beat those schools consistently going forward, making the tourney was far from a given. And women's hockey is not like the men's side in which any team that makes the tourney has a chance. It is 2 or 3 schools that have a legitimate shot year in and year out with perhaps one senior heavy team sprinkled in. 

Maybe if checking was part of the game it would draw more attention. I watched the twins in the olympics and it was exciting but trying to watch a UND game on tv was very painful, dull and boring. The action was worse than a high school game. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

Women's hockey may not be in the Olympics much longer if there are only 2 teams that can win it every year. Kind of like UConn women's basketball, who cares anymore other than UConn fans!

Maybe we should cut women's basketball next!  To balance it out get rid of the men's program as well.  We will never win a national championship in BB.  Get to the dance once a decade.  Maybe win one or two NCAA tourney games starting in the same time frame.  Sounds like a great level for us.  But we can hang a Slummit League banner once in awhile.  Oh I forget, we will get that great exposure of getting our butts kicked in front of 1.4 million people.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 16

32 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

. But hey, at least I sport I don't give a !@#$ about was on national TV, go us.

You're in the minority. 

Would even 5,000 people watch a hypothetical UND women's hockey national title? Doubtful based on popularity and following. 

1.4 million (1,400,000, not 5,000) did just care about a game UND men's basketball was playing in and tuned in. 

Is the majority wrong? Doesn't matter because the majority breeds $. 

In contrast, the minority - which includes women's hockey in general - loses $. 

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I disagree. If NDSU, Montana, and Montana State can win a national championship, why can't UND? Tremendous expense in sports not even sponsored by the aforementioned schools is one major reason for UND's shortage in football; now, after this cut, UND can actually make practical progress. Hockey is niche and UND's and North Dakota's budget do not allow for it, particularly in the case of a non-attended hockey program which was UND women's hockey. 

UND football is not a long shot. Women's hockey with its 800 total followers was the long shot. The right decision was made today. 

Football is a long shot!  One NCAA championship in our entire existence.  I was there.  Problem is all of our programs besides hockey are long shots.  Football has the best chance of all of them.  After that program, the rest are no shots!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You're in the minority. 

Would even 5,000 people watch a hypothetical UND women's hockey national title? Doubtful based on popularity and following. 

1.4 million (1,400,000, not 5,000) did just care about a game UND men's basketball was playing in and tuned in. 

Is the majority wrong? Doesn't matter because the majority breeds $. 

In contrast, the minority - which includes women's hockey in general - loses $. 

How much money does Football, WBB, and MBB make?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Maybe we should cut women's basketball next!  To balance it out get rid of the men's program as well.  We will never win a national championship in BB.  Get to the dance once a decade.  Maybe win one or two NCAA tourney games starting in the same time frame.  Sounds like a great level for us.  But we can hang a Slummit League banner once in awhile.  Oh I forget, we will get that great exposure of getting our butts kicked in front of 1.4 million people.

Someone is irritable, were you one of the 800 people at the playoff game against Ohio State?

5 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Football is a long shot!  One NCAA championship in our entire existence.  I was there.  Problem is all of our programs besides hockey are long shots.  Football has the best chance of all of them.  After that program, the rest are no shots!

Then how would you characterize women's and men's basketball national championship odds? Relatively speaking, UND football is not a long shot. Hockey produces respectable odds but one must consider relatively less competition. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Those accomplishments in basketball are just fine with me! Making the dance gives UND more recognition nationally than any other sport at UND. Do you remember how much publicity NDSU got when they won the first round game? 

If you don't think making the big dance is a big deal then you must live under a massive rock.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Yes and no. We won it in 2001, and then lost a close one in 2003. Maybe after 1963 UND should have canned men's hockey since it took 17 years to win another title, or after 2000 since it took 16 years to win a title. A lot of factors go to winning a championship good recruiting class, playing the right teams, and having the best luck on the field/court/ice. Women's hockey was doomed as can be shown by the attendance and since Grand Forks has to combine the high schools to field a team, not many girls are into it as one may think.

• Upvote 2