SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

On 4/25/2017 at 10:05 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

So anybody hear/figure out who filed the complaint to the ORC?

Was told the sister of Annelese Rice (player on WIH) posted copy of letter back from OCR.  So, not official but we know where it came from.  Check out for yourself on twitter at @lau_rice

10 minutes ago, SS0016 said:

Was told the sister of Annelese Rice (player on WIH) posted copy of letter back from OCR.  So, not official but we know where it came from.  Check out for yourself on twitter at @lau_rice

Well there it is, also, it's not the pinned post, which is the one where Annelese is suing her dad (along with 18 others) for $240 million, but a little further down. 

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Well there it is, also, it's not the pinned post, which is the one where Annelese is suing her dad (along with 18 others) for $240 million, but a little further down. 

Someday I hope to have enough money to where my daughter can sue me for $200+ million.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, cberkas said:

There are some good quotes in this article, I still think North Dakota was just the tip of the iceberg.

http://m.startribune.com/north-dakota-s-decision-to-drop-women-s-hockey-a-major-blow-to-the-sport/420960063/

I don't think that its just women's hockey, I think it could be all of college sports. There is too much money getting tossed around at all these schools and at some point an adult needs to come in and slow that spending down.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

I am surprised that a lot of programs that are middle of the road in all their sports don't dump their biggest money drains to become more competitive in a few sports. 

Maybe UND just set an example and more will follow.  The NCAA requiring 14 or 16 sports at each school is ridiculous.   

If they could, most schools would probably have their core 4 sports offerings, combined with frisbee golf, rowing, darts,  croquet, ring toss, lawn golf, and six different versions of tag.  

3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Maybe UND just set an example and more will follow.  The NCAA requiring 14 or 16 sports at each school is ridiculous.   

If they could, most schools would probably have their core 4 sports offerings, combined with frisbee golf, rowing, darts,  croquet, ring toss, lawn golf, and six different versions of tag.  

You forgot my all time favorite Dodge Ball.  I think I still have marks from that.

• Upvote 1

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 1:23 PM, UND-1 said:

http://dakotastudent.com/10528/opinion/cutting-champions/

"And let me tell you, the women’s hockey program and swimming and diving programs earned the title of “championship caliber.”

The UND Women's Hockey program was a "championship" level program, huh?  What championships did they win?  

Make it stop.

To be fair the S&D team had some championships as a DII program. Haven't done much at D1.

42 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

To be fair the S&D team had some championships as a DII program. Haven't done much at D1.

I think Swimming and Diving accomplished as much as WH did in a much shorter timeframe at the D1 level. 

Someone correct me...

And so help me, if someone says "olympians"....