SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

2 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

OK, I put this out on twitter too, so here is something that just dawned on me.  I would put money on it that someone in the WCHA leaked this to the writer in Wisc. for some ill will  from the men basically being a part the breakup of the old WCHA.  Just putting in my 2 cents on why a guy from Wisc. breaks the story and not Brad.

This news was leaked last Wednesday!

6 minutes ago, mksioux said:

Not all money losers are created equal.  Some lose a little bit of money, some a lot.  Women's hockey hemorrhaged money. 

Point taken but probably not the best choice of words based on the gender affected. 

• Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, jk said:

Maybe I'm too far away from it, or maybe you guys are too close to it.  To people not there,  it looks like a Mickey mouse operation.  Just completely embarrassing.  Und is a hockey school, it should have both programs. 

Almost all college sports programs are money losers.  Track, swimming, etc.  Everything but select football,  basketball and a few hockey programs.  But schools still have them because it's part of being a major university.   Especially in their headline sports.  Like hockey at UND.

To those people who are not following this closely, I can see why this might look like a dumb decision.  The University has never really publicly admitted how much money women's hockey loses.  They even went out of their way to allocate expenses to the men's team that should have been shared by both teams, all in an effort to make the women's teams numbers not look as bad as they were.  Even today, they didn't talk about the numbers.  And you certainly won't read about it in the Herald or other media sources.  But the people who dig into this stuff and follow it closely know this was the right decision.  Others may seem mystified.  I personally think the University did not handle this well in the sense that they should have publicly justified their decision better with cold, hard numbers to better inform the casual observer on why this decision was the most logical one.

11 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

OK, I put this out on twitter too, so here is something that just dawned on me.  I would put money on it that someone in the WCHA leaked this to the writer in Wisc. for some ill will  from the men basically being a part the breakup of the old WCHA.  Just putting in my 2 cents on why a guy from Wisc. breaks the story and not Brad.

This was obviously leaked to embarrass UND - but that's probably Kennedy's fault too.  

This is an incredibly sad day in athletic history at UND - there are no winners when cuts like this are made.  

BTW, squirtcoach, I don't know what Dennis Hastert has to do with the entire conversation...but nice smear campaign against my comments toward you by bringing up a total scumbag - Republican or Democrat.  Real "civil" of you - and only fitting that a guy like beebs010 would like your post.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jk said:

Maybe I'm too far away from it, or maybe you guys are too close to it.  To people not there,  it looks like a Mickey mouse operation.  Just completely embarrassing.  Und is a hockey school, it should have both programs. 

Almost all college sports programs are money losers.  Track, swimming, etc.  Everything but select football,  basketball and a few hockey programs.  But schools still have them because it's part of being a major university.   Especially in their headline sports.  Like hockey at UND.

Think you are too far away from this. If you listened to the radio here daily when the money was flowing from the oil, they kept talking about how higher education kept asking for more and more money, all the while increasing tuition.  Guess what, you keep asking for a bigger piece of the pie, and they run out of apples, something has got to give.  UND should have both programs, and I should have a Ferrari, but sometime reality has to set in.  Do you keep giving a kid everything he asks for as you go through the toy department of a store? At some point someone has to be the adult. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, homer said:

When he signs his contract is he going to give $1 million per year to cover the losses?

1 minute ago, homer said:

When he signs his contract is he going to give $1 million per year to cover the losses?

Rumor is she is gonna transfer to Minnesota State Mankato and give them the million dollars!

1 minute ago, mksioux said:

To those people who are not following this closely, I can see why this might look like a dumb decision.  The University has never really publicly admitted how much money women's hockey loses.  They even went out of their way to allocate expenses to the men's team that should have been shared by both teams, all in an effort to make the women's teams numbers not look so bad.  Even today, they didn't talk about the numbers.  And you certainly won't read about it in the Herald or other media sources.  But the people who dig into this stuff and follow it closely know this was the right decision.  Others may seem mystified.  I personally think the University did not handle this well in the sense that they should have justified their decision better with cold, hard numbers to better inform the casual observer on why this decision was the most logical one.

But why have all the facts when you can create a great story by not telling all the facts.  This is where social media helps others make up mind without knowing all the facts.  Just put one of the twins out there and all their followers alone will create a movement away from facts.

10 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Conferences tell coaches and their AD'S fast for scheduling reasons.  The WCHA might have to expand now with Lindenwood or Penn St to get to even numbers.  It was not necessarily someone in the WCHA office who blabbered it to Milewski.

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

This was obviously leaked to embarrass UND - but that's probably Kennedy's fault too.  

This is an incredibly sad day in athletic history at UND - there are no winners when cuts like this are made.  

BTW, squirtcoach, I don't know what Dennis Hastert has to do with the entire conversation...but nice smear campaign against my comments toward you by bringing up a total scumbag - Republican or Democrat.  Real "civil" of you - and only fitting that a guy like beebs010 would like your post.  

To be fair, nobody even knew about what Hastert was doing with young boys until after he left the House. But you are right, it has nothing to do with this topic.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, jk said:

But track, swimming etc don't cost north of 1.5 million 

Here’s the state’s spending trend on higher education which illustrates a 159 percent increase in state appropriations (taking into account Governor Jack Dalrymple’s proposed 11.5 percent increase for the coming biennium) to higher education over a less than 9 percent increase in full time equivalent enrollment:highereducation

One of those lines is flat. The other is not.

Here's the problem. And at the time the legislature was accused of being tight fisted and hoarding all the oil money. 

14 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

This news was leaked last Wednesday!

It seems a lot of people sensed this coming, a lot of people not necessarily always in the loop.  That is why it seems odd that Idalski was totally out of the loop on this.  Could a reporter ask him and Faison if there was no indication given that this was a possible solution? Was Idalski in fact around showing this high end recruit around campus? Could this be an in your face moment from Idalski? Have they had discussions about a new contract for Idalski, and if not why would Idalski not press the issue because of how that could affect recruiting? These are questions I would like answered, but not confident anyone from the Herald would ask some hard questions.  They were one sided on the nickname issue until it was gone, then played Devil's Advocate to try keep the issue alive to sell more papers.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, mksioux said:

To those people who are not following this closely, I can see why this might look like a dumb decision.  The University has never really publicly admitted how much money women's hockey loses.  They even went out of their way to allocate expenses to the men's team that should have been shared by both teams, all in an effort to make the women's teams numbers not look as bad as they were.  Even today, they didn't talk about the numbers.  And you certainly won't read about it in the Herald or other media sources.  But the people who dig into this stuff and follow it closely know this was the right decision.  Others may seem mystified.  I personally think the University did not handle this well in the sense that they should have publicly justified their decision better with cold, hard numbers to better inform the casual observer on why this decision was the most logical one.

Winner! Thought I remembered Faison/Schaefer talking $ last year when baseball was cut, and sure enough the 1st article on google was a Star Trib article that quotes Faison saying UND saves $720,000 by making the cut.

Why wasn't the number announced today? That's a great question and a missed opportunity. If the public knew the actual hard number (FYI it's north of $2 million), they'd be 1) shocked and 2) applauding the move whole-heartedly.

For UND to get ahead and capitalize on the 2 sports with the highest ceiling left for us, men's hoops and football, this move was a must.

Some great people lost their jobs because of today's events. Thoughts and prayers to them. 

And the next time anyone sees Mike Mannaussau or Val Sussex, please thank them for all they do.  They're the life-blood of the Athletic Dept, they don't get to make the decisions, but they have to fall on a lot of swords and deal with not-so ideal situations. Two fantastic people.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, sprig said:

Circus is April 28-30

The circus has been in town for several years. I suppose cutting WIH was necessary but much like a lot of what the university has done for the past decade, this was very poorly handled. The nickname fiasco, the logo, the "we're cutting programs - oh, no we're not" and now this. Very disappointing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cratter said:

I have to wonder. People knew the hockey program was going to be cut. It was no small secret to certain people....and then UND flies out a already committed recruit the same day and even has an odd hockey practice a few weeks after its season ended also on the same day...someone could have planned this...

Ya think?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I have to wonder. People knew the hockey program was going to be cut. It was no small secret to certain people....and then UND flies out a already committed recruit the same day and even has an odd hockey practice a few weeks after its season ended also on the same day...someone with sour grapes wanted to make UND look bad?

"Quick take a picture of us and post it to twitter."

Not really much different than those human shield and collateral damage cases overseas.  How many times after a 'precision airstrike' on a high-confidence target do you see footage of a destroyed 'children's hospital'?  Either somebody's aim was way off, or the scene was rigged by the bad guys.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, UND GUY said:

Winner! Thought I remembered Faison/Schaefer talking $ last year when baseball was cut, and sure enough the 1st article on google was a Star Trib article that quotes Faison saying UND saves $720,000 by making the cut.

Why wasn't the number announced today? That's a great question and a missed opportunity. If the public knew the actual hard number (FYI it's north of $2 million), they'd be 1) shocked and 2) applauding the move whole-heartedly.

For UND to get ahead and capitalize on the 2 sports with the highest ceiling left for us, men's hoops and football, this move was a must.

Some great people lost their jobs because of today's events. Thoughts and prayers to them. 

And the next time anyone sees Mike Mannaussau or Val Sussex, please thank them for all they do.  They're the life-blood of the Athletic Dept, they don't get to make the decisions, but they have to fall on a lot of swords and deal with not-so ideal situations. Two fantastic people.

agreed with mike and val...they were very somber at the presser today...