SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

5 hours ago, UND1983 said:

You know why people don't really care about them winning a gold medal?  Because they were 100% guaranteed a silver.

Oh, come on now!  That 11-0 win over Germany in the medal round semis was a lot closer than the score would indicate!  

Why, if all 8 of Germany's shots on goal had been actual goals, team USA would have only won by 3!

23 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

WiSioux apparently felt my comment was worth a -1.  I guess while we're all busy watching the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, he'll be busy searching for the World Championships somewhere on TV.  

Did you really make a post about someone down voting you? Grow up and get some thicker skin.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Did you really make a post about someone down voting you? Grow up and get some thicker skin.

I couldn't care less about -1 votes.  DaveK hands them out to me like they're Halloween candy.

I was more curious about why someone seemed so upset with my remark about nobody watching the mens or womens World Hockey Championships.  

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I couldn't care less about -1 votes.  DaveK hands them out to me like they're Halloween candy.

I was more curious about why someone seemed so upset with my remark about nobody watching the mens or womens World Hockey Championships.  

He handed those to anyone that didn't agree with him on the B1G or Penguins.  

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

Maybe people would care more if their NCAA chances weren't done around thanksgiving every year, then people might actually care or go see them play. But once it comes down to the team having to win the WCHA tournament to make the NCAAs everyone knows its not going to happen. A top program in women's hockey should at least make the NCAAs more then twice ever, or being a top 4 team in the WCHA they should be able to beat Minnesota and Wisconsin. People might care or show up to games if the team would have won the WCHA regular season, WCHA tournament, an NCAA game, played in the National Title game, or won a National Title. All I hear about is how UND develops Olympians, well Clarkson has won two National Title and only one Euro player on both teams and that was this years team. I don't even think Clarkson has had any Olympians yet they have made the Women's Frozen Four 3 times in the last 4 years.

The women's team can hang all the pre-season Top 6 banners they want when they can't make the top 8 by the end of the year.

Lameroux twins care more about the program producing Olympians instead of producing playoff wins. So in their mind Olympics > NCAA Tournament. 

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed attending women's games to bring my daughter, I thought the game was fun to watch, and would have some high caliber excitement if more fans attended.   It reminds me of watching the Worlds at UND a couple years ago when Jost was on team Canada.  I couldn't believe how empty the Ralph was for high caliber hockey.  No support unless it's the Mens Sioux hockey team.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, pontoonin said:

I enjoyed attending women's games to bring my daughter, I thought the game was fun to watch, and would have some high caliber excitement if more fans attended.   It reminds me of watching the Worlds at UND a couple years ago when Jost was on team Canada.  I couldn't believe how empty the Ralph was for high caliber hockey.  No support unless it's the Mens Sioux hockey team.

Fairweather fans can be the source of many ills, to be sure. But at some point, we can no longer simply blame fan apathy.  An empty arena week in, week out (year in, year out) means that one has to look at the product itself.

32 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Fairweather fans can be the source of many ills, to be sure. But at some point, we can no longer simply blame fan apathy.  An empty arena week in, week out (year in, year out) means that one has to look at the product itself.

True of any sport. I remember going to football games late and getting front row seats in the student section during the transition years, even in the year we won a conference championship. 

50 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

True of any sport. I remember going to football games late and getting front row seats in the student section during the transition years, even in the year we won a conference championship. 

Paid attendance is differenet than butts in seat attendance. 

Was 209 the number who bought tickets or the number that showed up?  

7 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I've been to both as well, and I will say that having a little elbow room in certain sections of the Alerus back in the day was nothing compared to crickets in the Ralph.  If WH had gotten HALF the lowest FB totals, we might not be having this conversation.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I've been to both as well, and I will say that having a little elbow room in certain sections of the Alerus back in the day was nothing compared to crickets in the Ralph.  If WH had gotten HALF the lowest FB totals, we might not be having this conversation.

No arguments here. Even if they could have filled half of the lower bowl they probably would have been spared. 

From their change.org Save UND Women's Hockey page.

Basically, those that have daughters want it kept for selfish reasons that will never happen, anyway.  Those that don't have daughters couldn't care less.   End of story.  

Just saw this little gem:

I want women to have the same opportunities as men! Women's hockey brought in more than football. Why was a men's sport not on the chopping block?

Breaking it down by weeks:

• 29th - Cut, huge story, a lot of articles written, big talker on the radio, huge social media outpour (UND Silent)
  • Week 2 - Women's hockey team / supporters went into Save mode, what needs to be done (End of week UND says it's not happening)
  • Week 3 - Reality sets in, hope turns to anger, start to see this turn into 'Sexist', 'Title IX Questioned', Kennedy 'Botique' comment (UND responds at end of week)

What does everyone think we are in store for this week? I'm sure we'll continue to see the 'Sexist' card be played, since that's the only card they have to play. I'll be interested to see if we continue to see opinion articles on a daily basis in the Herald.

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

• 29th - Cut, huge story, a lot of articles written, big talker on the radio, huge social media outpour (UND Silent)
  • Week 2 - Women's hockey team / supporters went into Save mode, what needs to be done (End of week UND says it's not happening)
  • Week 3 - Reality sets in, hope turns to anger, start to see this turn into 'Sexist', 'Title IX Questioned', Kennedy 'Botique' comment (UND responds at end of week)

What does everyone think we are in store for this week? I'm sure we'll continue to see the 'Sexist' card be played, since that's the only card they have to play. I'll be interested to see if we continue to see opinion articles on a daily basis in the Herald.

Maybe this is the week that there is national outrage.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

The continued rise of the:  its tough but the money/the comment is overblown crowd.  UND just waiting if/when the lawsuit gets filed.

35 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

There is 1 girl from North Dakota on the team.  ONE.  Do these parents realize this? 

Go look at the rosters over the 15 years of the womens hockey program at UND.  Their have been 11 players that have played for the team that were from North Dakota.  By comparison, there have been 12 players from Europe.  Many more from Canada as well as the rest of the United States.  The Lammys and the rest of the hashtag activists can claim that Kennedy, Faison, UND, etc are killing the dreams of young North Dakota girls that want to play hockey for UND.  But in reality, UND womens hockey coaches have been doing that for 15 years!!