SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

If we're concerned about "equality," why don't we talk real equality? Why don't we eliminate "men's" and "women's" sports and just have sports. We could get rid of Title IX completely and athletes like the Twins could make NHL salaries, not the "pittance" they're getting now. Or could they? Would that be unfair? Or by having women's sports the way they are now, do we just essentially have affirmative action for women? I know I will be labeled a sexist for these remarks, but we only have "equality" now in the ways the Twins, and others like them, want it. They want "equal" pay, which, as has been pointed out, is actually far more than equal, for playing a sport that has no fans; for playing a sport that raises no revenue; and for playing a sport that a high school male player could dominate.

I'll go back to my cave now. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Well, that would only be after extensive research determining it's veracity.

So you mean in depth reporting?

Ummmmmmmmmmm..........no. Not on this subject.

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

In other big scoops, Brad is also reporting that the Blackhawks, Canadiens, Blues and Capitals arw all in the mix for the Stanley Cup.

Breaking news:  The Cavaliers and Warriors are in the mix for an NBA title.

Maybe if all of Team USA plays into their 40's the German's can get within a half-dozen goals...

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

In other big scoops, Brad is also reporting that the Blackhawks, Canadiens, Blues and Capitals arw all in the mix for the Stanley Cup.

Canadiens?
Let's not go crazy there Mafia. 
There are limits to what even I'll believe. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

U Buffalo dropping M baseball, M soccer, M swim & diving, and W rowing

"BUT TITLE IX!  THIS IS 2017 NOT 1917."

"Well, to be fair, they're also dropping three men's sports too."

"BUT TITLE IX!  THIS IS 2017, NOT 1917!"

• Upvote 2

I had a conversation yesterday with a head coach of an athletic program that got cut at UND. This individual was a 180 in character from what the twins are portraying with the loss of WIH.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Feel free to add as you find. 

Athletic programs cutting in 2017 --

Savanna State dropping to DII: http://www.wjcl.com/article/breaking-savannah-state-athletics-to-drop-to-division-ii/9269304 
UNM dropping M/W skiing 

I'm still trying to figure out why New Mexico had skiing.....is it snow skiing??? Water skiing??? Either way, you're in a d**n desert! Why are you skiing???

I read the soul article today:

As much of a UND sports fan I am, to say sports are the "soul" of a university is a very big stretch.  It has and always will be academics.

Suspending MT does more to hurt the soul of the university than any sports team being cut.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Just to get this out of the way, everyone realizes the dedication and sacrifice it takes to play any collegiate sport, no matter the attendance it brings in money it makes.

I think all five of the teams that have been cut have been upset and rightfully so. That being said, the reaction from the Women's hockey program has been so over and above any of the other sports. This wasn't a surprise to me or many on here. The old saying "born on third, but acts like they hit a triple" couldn't describe UND Women's hockey team any better. The sense of entitlement I've seen since they've been cut has been pretty eye opening. I just don't understand how a group can be less self-aware than this team. I mean look around, tickets are damn near free to your games and you can't even get 1,000 people to go. People don't care about your sport.

Like many things these days (especially a hot button topic like this), people get really excited for a couple days, but it already is settling down. This never had lasting power, because ultimately, people don't care about UND Women's hockey. Never have and never will. I can't wait for this semester to get over with.  

Maybe people would care more if their NCAA chances weren't done around thanksgiving every year, then people might actually care or go see them play. But once it comes down to the team having to win the WCHA tournament to make the NCAAs everyone knows its not going to happen. A top program in women's hockey should at least make the NCAAs more then twice ever, or being a top 4 team in the WCHA they should be able to beat Minnesota and Wisconsin. People might care or show up to games if the team would have won the WCHA regular season, WCHA tournament, an NCAA game, played in the National Title game, or won a National Title. All I hear about is how UND develops Olympians, well Clarkson has won two National Title and only one Euro player on both teams and that was this years team. I don't even think Clarkson has had any Olympians yet they have made the Women's Frozen Four 3 times in the last 4 years.

The women's team can hang all the pre-season Top 6 banners they want when they can't make the top 8 by the end of the year.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I had a conversation yesterday with a head coach of an athletic program that got cut at UND. This individual was a 180 in character from what the twins are portraying with the loss of WIH.

I heard he wasn't liked in the beer league.

• Upvote 1