SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

Sooooooo sick of hearing  "Where is my little girl going to play hockey now" argument.  First of all, not every aspiring girl whoplays hockey when they are 6 years old get the chance to play hockey in college.  Second of all there are 86 other Universities in the US that sponsor womens college hockey at the D1 or D# level.  People are acting like shutting down one program that game opportunity for 25 girls every year to play hockey that there is no opportunities for girls to play hockey or any other sport.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Is there a sport that is as delusional about their importance/relevance in the world today as Women's Hockey is?  Really simple question. 

BTW,  I heard Idalski said he could probably get 1-2 million in donations if that would buy them some time.  My response: where was that the entire 10 years you were here?  He didn't raise a nickel in 10 years and now he can get 2 million dollars?  Level of intelligence we are dealing with here.  :silly:

tumblr_loyzraToS51qzd1oo.gif

"The cost shouldn't matter...just reinstate it...PLLLEEEEASSSSE...think of the millions of young girls who will never have the chance to play college hockey because of this decision."

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Is there a sport that is as delusional about their importance/relevance in the world today as Women's Hockey is?  Really simple question. 

BTW,  I heard Idalski said he could probably get 1-2 million in donations if that would buy them some time.  My response: where was that the entire 10 years you were here?  He didn't raise a nickel in 10 years and now he can get 2 million dollars?  Level of intelligence we are dealing with here.  :silly:

Womens SOCCER?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/21/uswnt-60-minutes-equal-pay-us-soccer-dispute

15 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

In my opinion, soccer isn't even close.  The Women's World Cup Championship in 2015 averaged 25.4 million viewers, making it the most viewed soccer match (men's or women's) in US history.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I'm a huge soccer guy. The men's team is frustrating as hell to watch. The women on the other hand are awesome to watch. They're smart, tough, aggressive, and skilled. They also have a killer instinct. At times I prefer watching them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm a huge soccer guy. The men's team is frustrating as hell to watch. The women on the other hand are awesome to watch. They're smart, tough, aggressive, and skilled. They also have a killer instinct. At times I prefer watching them.

The women's team has a bigger following too.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sooooooo sick of hearing  "Where is my little girl going to play hockey now" argument.  First of all, not every aspiring girl whoplays hockey when they are 6 years old get the chance to play hockey in college.  Second of all there are 86 other Universities in the US that sponsor womens college hockey at the D1 or D# level.  People are acting like shutting down one program that game opportunity for 25 girls every year to play hockey that there is no opportunities for girls to play hockey or any other sport.  

If little girls in our area are good enough and want to play D-1 hockey.... I'd think Scanlan would love to accommodate them just a couple hours east on U.S. 2.  The Beavers are pretty damn good, too. They beat us enough.

It's not like there's a total void in our region for WH.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

In my opinion, soccer isn't even close.  The Women's World Cup Championship in 2015 averaged 25.4 million viewers, making it the most viewed soccer match (men's or women's) in US history.

45 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

40 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The women's team has a bigger following too.

Sorry, but mens and womens soccer BOTH bore me to tears.  Count me out.  

8YswchD.gif

"Hey, MafiaMan, you wanna watch soccer with me?"

"No thanks."

"FINE...I guess I'll just ask geaux_sioux then!"

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Curious to what the viewership numbers were for the gold medal game or the World Championships were.  That may be telling.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-friday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-7-2017.html

Here are the cable ratings for the top 150 shows on 4/7/2017.  The gold medal game is not on the list, so we don't know the exact numbers, but you can infer the answer is "not very good."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Curious to what the viewership numbers were for the gold medal game or the World Championships were.  That may be telling.

1 hour ago, HawksHoops said:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-friday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-7-2017.html

Here are the cable ratings for the top 150 shows on 4/7/2017.  The gold medal game is not on the list, so we don't know the exact numbers, but you can infer the answer is "not very good."

Showbuzzdaily.com - "US and Canada women not in the top 150 shows on TV on 4/7/17."

L Twins via Twitter - "US and Canada women - Cracked the top 500 shows on TV on 4/7/17!  

#LotsofViewers!  #ProudtobeonTV!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Showbuzzdaily.com - "US and Canada women not in the top 150 shows on TV on 4/7/17."

L Twins via Twitter - "US and Canada women - Cracked the top 5 shows on TV on 4/7/17!  #LotsofViewers!  #ProudtobeonTV!

That's more like what the twins would say.

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Reading all these letters to the editor, Facebook comments, and the Lammy twins you would think that UND came out of nowhere and cut the womens hockey program, did so because they are discriminating against women, officially informed the team via twitter because they have no respect for them, all the while the admisistration is making sexist comments about the team and that little girls don't deserve to play hockey let alone any sport.

It is a shame there is so many misinformed people out there.  

I wonder if, when they started the "Wings Up" campaign, they had stated specifically that sports would be cut if enough money wasn't raised, if people would have donated more money? Itmay not have mattered considering the problem would be an annual budget issue but I have to wonder why the admisistration wasn't more straightforward about the issue.

Also, S&D raised the most in the "Wings Up" campaign (granted only 22K). One more reason they have to be more upset about being cut than Women's Hockey.

http://act.undalumni.org/site/TR?fr_id=1070&pg=entry

16 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Loosely translated:  "If we keep pushing it on TV and in stuff like Sports Illustrated, viewers and readers will HAVE TO watch it or read it.  

Women's "March Madness" First Round:

#1 UConn 116

#16 Albany 55

#2 Duke 94

#15 Hampton 31

#1 Baylor 119

#16 Texas Southern 30

#2 Mississippi State 110

#15 Troy 69

#1 Notre Dame 79

#16 Robert Morris 49

#1 South Carolina 90

#16 UNC-Ashville 40

WHY WON'T MEN WATCH WOMEN'S SPORTS?

29 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

If little girls in our area are good enough and want to play D-1 hockey.... I'd think Scanlan would love to accommodate them just a couple hours east on U.S. 2.  The Beavers are pretty damn good, too. They beat us enough.

It's not like there's a total void in our region for WH.

We all know if they were good enough to play at UND, Idalski would take Euros first.

• Upvote 4