SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Could argue media wars are more important than actual games. 

NDSU kicking UND's ass?!

Kennedy sees his main audience as the ND legislature, not ESPN or SI or other parts of the MSM who do not pay his bills.

NDSU's Bresciani has never wanted to impress the legislature to begin with, only other Presidents and the media.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Kennedy sees his main audience as the ND legislature, not ESPN or SI or other parts of the MSM who do not pay his bills.

NDSU's Bresciani has never wanted to impress the legislature to begin with, only other Presidents and the media.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4247087-letter-dont-misdirect-anger-over-und-budget-cuts

Few people seem to get that all of these cuts are ultimately on the state government. I'm not a resident and I won't tell anyone how to vote or what's best for their stare. But anyone who wants to save women's hockey and/or S&D should be complaining to their congressmen and govenor, not to the school or media.

• Upvote 4

On 4/6/2017 at 10:00 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

Ah yes, those poor, overburdened ND taxpayers.:silly:  ND income taxes are peanuts. My tax refund this year from the state was just a hair over $20. Anyone whining about income taxes in this state just wants a free lunch.

And having worked at UND for the better part of 14 years, I can tell you that we do run things "efficiently and effectively". We don't live high on the hog, no matter what Rob Port thinks. No faculty member has ever gotten rich teaching here. The Legislature should just throw off all the pretense and call for the complete privatization of the NDUS. That is what most of them want anyway.

Having said all that, I do support cutting women's hockey and both swimming and diving programs and getting us down to 16 sports (17 if you count privately funded men's golf). But that is something that should have happened when we moved up to D-I (back in 2008 or so).

Why would you want a big tax refund?  Tax planning issue?

3 hours ago, John W. said:

Lead story on Gophersports.com 

"10 current or former Gophers bring home medals....6 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze..."

its all about recruiting and commitment...Lady Gophers have their own arena, donated by Mrs. Ridder of St. Paul...of the Knight-Ridder publishing family....comparing the commitment to women's hockey between UND and Minnesota...is like the proverbial 'apples/oranges'

16 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The Ridder family donated $500K.

Minnesota taxpayers "donated" $10 million. 

4 minutes ago, John W. said:

still......have an arena with the Ridder name attached....ND taxpayers then should 'pony up' to support the deficits in all phases of state government....is that  your point???

You lost me with this comparison...

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

The only thing everyone needs to know is UND lost 1.4M for 2016 and NDSU had a gain of 1.8M.   The numbers come from each schools reporting to the NCAA. 

Bison Dan - keep parading around that NDSU had 1.8M gain and you just might end up with 1.9M dollar W. Hockey program.  There are a bunch of ladies playing hockey and they have no place to go.  Maybe they will figure all you have to do is enroll at NDSU and fill out a survey.  Then your comparison will be appropriate because NDSU's Title IX compliance number will be more in line with UND.  I don't understand why people think they can compare two organizations when one of the primary drivers of costs are driven by two totally different approaches.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

The only thing everyone needs to know is UND lost 1.4M for 2016 and NDSU had a gain of 1.8M.   The numbers come from each schools reporting to the NCAA. 

When is Kolpacks article in Title 9?  Kind of a hot topic in the state right now.  

Also, taken at face value and not digging deeper, this article sums up why FU fans should be a bit nervous about UND right sizing their athletic dept.  Add up the numbers that UND cut and do the basic math.  Now add in the different accounting FU uses and the story looks a little different.  

Rob Port mentioned on his blog he put in for the same info from NDSU as he wrote about UND.  This is Kolpack putting the knee pads on to get ahead of what Port might write.  Fargo media needs to grow some balls instead of play with them.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I would guess it is effective as of fiscal year end for UND.  Not sure if it's the case for UND, but for many colleges that means June 30th.

Could have sworn that the cuts were effective at the end of the academic year, but I could be wrong on that.

Let's say for the sake of Idalski's argument that by some miracle oil does rebound a bit and the budget does adjust where the cuts aren't so bad. 

If UND got millions back where do you think Kennedy would stick the money?  I am willing to bet it won't be to save the hockey program, it will be to save a few majors on the academic side. 

He is a politician after all, lessen the blow on the academic side and put the women's hockey supporters in a very tight spot.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Let's say for the sake of Idalski's argument that by some miracle oil does rebound a bit and the budget does adjust where the cuts aren't so bad. 

If UND got millions back where do you think Kennedy would stick the money?  I am willing to bet it won't be to save the hockey program, it will be to save a few majors on the academic side. 

He is a politician after all, lessen the blow on the academic side and put the women's hockey supporters in a very tight spot.

Even if oil charges back over the next few months, UND likely won't see any benefit until July 2019.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Schools move around money in their athletic department, so I'm with @Bison Dan that lets look at the final number of UND losing 1.4M and NDSU made 1.8M. Looking at this objectively, there's no doubt that last year and years prior that NDSU's athletic department was in much better shape than UND's. I don't really think there's even an argument to be made, because Kolpack is correct that almost every single program at this level lose money (except NDSU Football, UND Men's Hockey). NDSU will continue to do well, they have the right number of sports and play in conferences that fit their location. 

As insensitive as this statement is going to be, because peoples lives (not just in athletics, but academically as well) were altered, this budget crisis was blessing in disguise for UND. It forced the hand of UND to make cuts that should have been made a long time ago. That probably wouldn't have been made otherwise and they would have continued to be spread thin, with way too many sports. Getting the 3 sports they cut off the books, by Kolpacks numbers that's 2.75 million that goes away. UND can put money into Football and Basketball, will save more money once the conference switch happens. Revenues will go up in Football if Bubba keeps this program on track. Will be interesting to see this article in 2 years.

Couldn't agree more. Cutting the blackhole that was women's hockey and re-focusing on more geographically-suitable conferences will only help out UND in the long-run, particularly football, basketball, and volleyball (the non-men's hockey sports that need to be expanded big time for UND to make that next step as a DI athletic department).

26 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

I don't understand the oil revenue argument. Let's wait it out for a few years when hopefully oil rebounds and we start raking in money so we can afford to lose 1.9 million dollars a year?? That seems backwards to me. 

Agree totally.  The WIH fans seem to be saying in unison that the state should subsidize a top notch program.  Never do they talk about how it would excite more fans by allowing checking.  Fans don't want to go to games now, but that is ignored.

As someone else stated, let NDSU subsidize them, as they need a women's sport for Title IX.

27 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

Only way NDSU will ever have a women's hockey team is if the school has a men's team. We'll never have a men's team for that very reason. 

Actually, if surveys said there was interest in women's hockey, I don't know how NDSU could defend not adding it with how far off their ratios are. Those surveys are literally what they base their entire Title IX compliance on. Now if you want to argue that the surveys will never suggest that, I could believe that.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Actually, if surveys said there was interest in women's hockey, I don't know how NDSU could defend not adding it with how far off their ratios are. Those surveys are literally what they base their entire Title IX compliance on. Now if you want to argue that the surveys will never suggest that, I could believe that.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about women's hockey ever being demanded in a survey. 

• Upvote 1