SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The whole letter in the herald about Title IX makes zero sense coming from UND who has been... oh IDK....

Extremely cautious about that?  Does UND make these kind of cuts without doing their homework, I mean come on now.

That was my thought.  The whole "hockey school with no women's hockey".  Fargo has more girls hockey than Grand Forks.  Plus they could use some money on the women's side.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

UND or the hired law firm  needed to get all the accurate info out there before a Sports Illustrated or ESPN came along and interviewed feminazis looking for 'equality' came along and muddied the waters further with their lies.  That woman's comment comparing a 'winning' UND women's hockey program to football is so inaccurate it just pisses me off!   And we're reading this garbage in sports illustrated for chrissakes!!!

serenity now!   Pass the Tylenol. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry to see women's hockey go. But football does far more for the school and has at least one a conference championship. 2 if you count the one in our transition period.

Edit 

Not to mention the complications for Title IX if they cut football. 

Edited by Rebel_Sioux
Added.

19 minutes ago, homer said:

That was my thought.  The whole "hockey school with no women's hockey".  Fargo has more girls hockey than Grand Forks.  Plus they could use some money on the women's side.  

I would bet we are pretty damn water tight with regards to Title Mine, I bet they saw this blowback and shitstorm coming from a mile away.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry to see women's hockey go. But football does far more for the school and has at least one a conference championship. 2 if you count the one in our transition period.

Edit 

Not to mention the complications for Title IX if they cut football. 

Now watch them scream at every football article saying they should be cut. Its already started.  Its embarrassing to see after two wins against SDSU in softball those are the comments being said.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I would bet we are pretty damn water tight with regards to Title Mine, I bet they saw this blowback and shitstorm coming from a mile away.

The blowback would have been bad even they halved the budget.  No Euros, Icon or Olympic rink, no personal chef meals, no Minnesota budget to blow.  It's a wound to a certain militant segment of society and they are out for court revenge right now, the girls be d**ned.   This is where the Fighting Sues is revealed.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4247084-letter-womens-hockey-never-got-und-support-it-needed

Yes, it's the athletics department's fault women's hockey is boring to watch.

Absolutely, as evidenced by the multiple NCAA tournament game victories.

It does feel like they were cut years ago, especially when you think about the millions of dollars per year not being spent on sports that people cared about.

This!!!  With the Fill the Ralph campaign and ticket prices basically non-existant and they can only fill half the arena during that campaign, should prove that sport wasn't going to make it, and its the fans not the university that is at fault. Who's to blame for soccer getting less than 100 people to show up? In 2013 was it the university's fault for fans not showing up at the Alerus? No, it was the product on the field. Same thing goes with women's hockey. Without checking the sport is a snore fest. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4247084-letter-womens-hockey-never-got-und-support-it-needed

Yes, it's the athletics department's fault women's hockey is boring to watch.

Absolutely, as evidenced by the multiple NCAA tournament game victories.

It does feel like they were cut years ago, especially when you think about the millions of dollars per year not being spent on sports that people cared about.

I like how he tries to bring up the Saints. The reason the Saints are successful is of their cheesy in game promotions and the fact that they want to draw non baseball fans. Although the players and coaches care about winning and losing, the fans could care two S$*%s about the product on the field. He also fails to mention that the Saints offer reasonably priced tickets and food, something the Ralph would never do and I'm not sure how much more reasonable you can get with $1 a ticket.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I like how he tries to bring up the Saints. The reason the Saints are successful is of their cheesy in game promotions and the fact that they want to draw non baseball fans. Although the players and coaches care about winning and losing, the fans could care two S$*%s about the product on the field. He also fails to mention that the Saints offer reasonably priced tickets and food, something the Ralph would never do and I'm not sure how much more reasonable you can get with $1 a ticket.

Plus, being outside on a nice summer afternoon/evening is a far better proposal to a casual or less than casual sports fan than trekking through a ND winter to sit a cold arena watching a boring sport.

• Upvote 2

What is the goal of a program:  to produce Olympians or win titles?

You can't live off of two one and dones in the NCAA 4-5 years ago, which the team barley made it both times,  it is a what have you done for me lately kind of world?  16-16-6 when you started preseason #6 in the nation doesn't scream elite.

• Upvote 1

Not to pile on here, but there is no interest in Women's Hockey at UND.  This is a Box score from a playoff game.  Attendance 210.  That does not generate enough money to turn the lights on.  My kid's church league soccer games gets better attendance than that.

I can almost say it would be "okay" if they lost money and there was a following and interest.  It just isn't there.

Okay, yes, I am piling on.

• Upvote 3

I like how all these letters to the editors fail to mention how they think UND can keep finding women's hockey? Where would the money come from??? Neither UND or the state has money so do we raise student fees to oh for it? UND would have to cut something so what do they think was a better option. We must keep our core sports to be a member of the summit. 

All these people do is complain but offer no feasible solutions.

• Upvote 1

Former Herald guy, Chuck Haga, is saddened because he can no longer bring his grandchild to a WH game and he taught a couple of them in class. We get it, we do, but the University has cut more than just your precious little hockey team.  

WTF is going on here?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Ok, now, in fairness to this kid, he was the equipment intern for WIH and MIH.  When comparing the 2, it's going to seem like WIH got little administrative support.  However, if he wants to see what a real lack of support looks like, he should've interned with any other athletic program on campus.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Ok, now, in fairness to this kid, he was the equipment intern for WIH and MIH.  When comparing the 2, it's going to seem like WIH got little administrative support.  However, if he wants to see what a real lack of support looks like, he should've interned with any other athletic program on campus.

No kidding, go work for the baseball or softball programs.  That would have opened his eyes.

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4247255-und-womens-hockey-team-coach-not-ready-throw-towel

Here is the confirmation that Idalski is pinning his hopes to the oil prices.  

"This current budget crisis is temporary," Idalski said. "Already oil production has increased 40 percent within the state, and expectations are that production will double this summer. That's going to alleviate a lot of problems. I think that's going to stabilize budgets from the Legislature on the state side. My goal is to buy us a couple of years to solve that situation, alleviate that problem, try to take care of ourselves. Open the conversation and work towards endowing the program. I think that's a great long-term solution, but that is not a short-term solution. Once this (program) goes away, it's not coming back. And if it does and they try to bring it back, I know how long and how painful it was to get us to this point."

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4247255-und-womens-hockey-team-coach-not-ready-throw-towel

Here is the confirmation that Idalski is pinning his hopes to the oil prices.  

"This current budget crisis is temporary," Idalski said. "Already oil production has increased 40 percent within the state, and expectations are that production will double this summer. That's going to alleviate a lot of problems. I think that's going to stabilize budgets from the Legislature on the state side. My goal is to buy us a couple of years to solve that situation, alleviate that problem, try to take care of ourselves. Open the conversation and work towards endowing the program. I think that's a great long-term solution, but that is not a short-term solution. Once this (program) goes away, it's not coming back. And if it does and they try to bring it back, I know how long and how painful it was to get us to this point."

No, no it hasn't..... and no, expectations are not for production to double.