SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

5 minutes ago, Bison101 said:

So Morehead needed 25 million to endow a men's and women's hockey program, but UND needs 60 million just for women's? Somebody is embellishing just a bit. 

Woudln't have been a D1 program with all the entitlements that come as a D1 program. Lotts of differences. Moorhead would also provide institutional support, of which UND would provide none from here on out. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No. Read carefully what they said. 

$60 million: That's just women's hockey. 

Going by what ASU did, and they have way more travel and not much revenue coming in for hockey right now. $30 million just for the women's program is sufficient. $60 million would help cover Title XI that would come up with just adding the women's hockey team.

Now lets say the girls found a way to raise $60 million, then Kennedy and Faison better have a way to sustain funding the team and what else comes with it. Let's be honest UND and the athletic department should have reeled in the women's hockey teams expenses a long time ago.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bison101 said:

So Morehead needed 35 million to endow a men's and women's hockey program, but UND needs 60 million just for women's? Somebody is embellishing just a bit. UND made the right call, but throwing insane BS numbers around will only make things worse. #herecometheHeitkamps

How many years ago was that? Say almost ten? And the endowment number is just short of double? That's less than seven percent annually and that's what university costs have been going up.

Moral of story: Stuff costs money.

3 minutes ago, Bison101 said:

Tell me more about these DI entitlements and how that effects things. 

Well, the biggest part is obviously scholarships. Higher divisions tend to be more spread out so travel, FCOA, Almost all the ammenitites that the mens team recieves. 

I guarantee you that they'd make WIH start paying a larger share of the REA costs too.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

How many years ago was that? Say almost ten? And the endowment number is just short of double? That's less than seven percent annually and that's what university costs have been going up.

Moral of story: Stuff costs money.

Five years, plug was pulled in 2012

33 minutes ago, Bison101 said:

So Morehead needed 35 million to endow a men's and women's hockey program, but UND needs 60 million just for women's? Somebody is embellishing just a bit. UND made the right call, but throwing insane BS numbers around will only make things worse. #herecometheHeitkamps

Moorhead was trying to replicate Bemidji.

UND was trying to replicate the Gophers, only with more expensive Euros.

It's an entirely reasonable number

17 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

That was a savage move by Kennedy.  Right after they go on OTL and pump their cause he releases a statement saying it's over, done, finished.  

Well, unless they come up with 60 million dollars.

It seems like Heidi is staking her Senate reelection campaign upon reinstatement of WIH.

After all, she had success in her hold up of USA Hockey.  A modern day Jesse James is Heidi.

She certainly will be an overwhelming favorite among WIH fans.  Win by a landslide among that key demographic.

59 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It seems like Heidi is staking her Senate reelection campaign upon reinstatement of WIH.

After all, she had success in her hold up of USA Hockey.  A modern day Jesse James is Heidi.

She certainly will be an overwhelming favorite among WIH fans.  Win by a landslide among that key demographic.

She wasn't one of the original Senators to sign the letter.

Attendance of the last regular season home game:

Men's sports:

BB 2870 vs PSU

FB 9049 vs NAU

IH 11,922 vs UNO

Women's sports:

BB 2379 vs UNC

IH 951 vs Ohio St

Soccer 94 vs EWU

Volleyball 1149 vs UNC

Men's sports avg 7947

Women's sports avg 1143

Why isn't women's sports more attended? You would think they would be packed with women supporting their sports. Is it due to lack of action? Lack of interest? For myself I have found interest in our volleyball team a few years ago when Hardee really turned that program around, and have supported them more and more. Women's basketball I have always loved going to since the late 80's. I even attended the 1997 National Championship game at the Hyslop, I have never heard that place more loud than that day. I just have no interest in soccer (besides watching my daughter play) and women's hockey (too boring due to lack of action). 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bison101 said:

If they find 5 million fake pledges, let alone 30 million, it will turn into a sh*t show.

Or several ladies could enroll at NDSU and complete a survey saying they have interest in womens hockey!?!?!? - if that happens the football better get the bake sales rolling.

• Upvote 1